Blue NGK spark plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the talk in my other thread about a doing a proper tune up prompted me to order some new plug wires. I scoured various Honda/Acura forums and decided on blue NGK wires as they had good reviews. The factory Sumitomo wires served me well for 14 yrs; no signs of cracking or obvious defects. I wanted to test out their resistance but couldn't find my multi-meter.

The blue NGKs are very well made and look great in the engine bay. It's comforting to see "Made in Japan" on the box. They're the same length and slightly thicker than the OE wires. Boots look and feel exactly like the originals. Installation was a breeze since everything was numbered. My car idled and ran fine before but it seems cold starts are a little smoother now. Could just be in my head. Would upload pics but I'm too lazy to create an account on some photo-sharing site.

41EcVnJ57LL.jpg

Excellent choice.

Did yours have clear sealant rather sloppily applied where the wire goes into the plug boots? Mine did but no big deal, and they also have "USA" on the wires. Emailed NGK and apparently some of the wires are made here and they do use clear sealant at the boot entries.

Here they are (NGK FX101 p/n 55004) on my Forester:

1_IMG_4445.JPG

I like the blue NGKs overall, but I did have one fail in a weird way. On the coil end of one wire, the small c-shaped piece of metal on the terminal split in half. This made the wire loose on the coil. I noticed a faint popping through the stereo that increased with throttle, so I checked for something loose and found the bad wire. It was more trouble than it was worth to go through the warranty process (bought the wires online for somewhere around $25), so I just replaced the one bad wire with one from Napa and called it good. The failure happened after about a year and 20K miles. No other issues, I figure it was a fluke, and I would use NGK again.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I used these on our old 1998 Civic and these are high quality plug wires.
OEM wire > NGK wire on the 96-00 civics

I tested their resistance, and OEM wires were within OEM spec of 7-11k ohms.

NGK were 3.5-4.5k ohms only, cheapo aftermarket ones are even lower, 1-1.5k ohms only.

Is best to use OEM Honda parts on Hondas, but NGKS are pretty good.

I replaced a bunch of [censored] wires on mine. I think I ordered same Blue NGK from Amazon.

When I find a car worthy of such nice wires, that isn't otherwise screwed, I just may open that box.

I have Denso plugs for some reason.. go fig
21.gif

I used NGK blue plug wires on my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan and I don't notice any difference. I had to get a new wire set because when I was doing the plugs one of the wires broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back