Blu-ray Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get a new Blu-ray (writer?) drive for an old desktop, Dell Dimension 4600 to be exact, that I'm giving to my sister. The existing drive is out to pasture. Would you recommend an internal or external? Blu-ray writer? They seem cheap enough. However, it seems that an internal Blu-ray writer would be a waste; just get an external so when the desktop does finally hit the trash dump, the drive doesn't have to go as well. That is, I could use it for my laptop.
whistle.gif

In any case would this internal one fit? Also, I have Win 7 32-bit on the desktop but this one just says 2000/XP/Vista. Will it even work? It is $60.
LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+...HBS112-04 - OEM

This internal one is $65. LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X...e Support - OEM

Here's a couple USB 2.0 followed by (1) USB 3.0 Blu-ray writers.

$100. SAMSUNG model SE-506AB USB 2.0 Portable ...D-RAM 6X BD-ROM

$80 after $30 mail in rebate. ASUS USB 2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Burner Model SBW-06C1S-U/DBLU/G

$170 for USB 3.0 Asus model BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS 12x Blu-R...40x, CD-RW 24x,

I am buying an internal BR burner for my desktop. When the time comes to dump the desktop, I'll remove the drive if it's still viable and install it in an external enclosure for portable use. I've done this many times with internal DVD burners.

I have the above LG BD burner that works very well and an ASUS (Lite-on?) one that doesn't seem to work quite as well as the LG, but is still sufficient. I got it because it looked good in the pictures on newegg, but in real life it looks funny.

I have the listed Lite-On which I haven't burned anything with yet, but I read a lot of discs with it.

They are all internal SATA drive. I have 3 external LG DVD burners which work well but are not Blu Ray.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lyle
I am buying an internal BR burner for my desktop. When the time comes to dump the desktop, I'll remove the drive if it's still viable and install it in an external enclosure for portable use. I've done this many times with internal DVD burners.

Same here.

Bought a Dell Dimension 3000 (or 4000?) back in 2004. Put a DVD burner in it in 2006 or 7. Moved both the DVD burner and original Dell DVDROM drive over to the new case.

It'll be a sad day when the DVDROM drive from that old Dell finally dies since it works much better for making "back-up" copies of movies compared to most of the newer drives I've used (same software). Transfer rate of 5.5MB/s during DVD copy, doesn't even blink at anything but the deepest scratch in a DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back