Blow-by and additive questions w/ details!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You are absolutely right. With a piece of paper over the oil fill hole it flaps in and out.../... Does this mean that since its not just "blowing" that its not really the kind of blow by that you would get from considerably worn rings.

This is almost always the case in a sound engine. If it was a problem, not only would the paper not oscillate, the outflow would be accompanied with oil vapors (or smoke).

Quote:
You did a good job of explaining this concept by the way.

It's a struggle at times. Knowing what you're trying to say ..and saying it in a way that can be understood are challenges for the undisciplined like myself.

To experience true blow by at idle ..as in excessive ..then one MUST SURELY be seeing evidence of it at higher engine speeds and higher cylinder pressures. The engine's ability to cope with blow by is at its maximum at idle. Ample vacuum and minimum cylinder pressure (NO LOAD). The engine is just running out the available air:fuel and expressing it in rpms.

Quote:
Air flow out of oil fill holes when a car is idling varies.
From a slight vacuum, to a wavy neutrality, to a pulsating in/out, to actual blowing out, can all be normal.
Especially with fixed orfice valve or constant flow systems, like old BMWs.
That hole is supposed to be sealed and the engine is running differently than it otherwise would.

Sure. My BMW would not run without the oil cap on ..and would barely run with the dipstick pulled. The crankcase was under full vacuum.

..but under any and all conditions there should never be a net positive pressure out of the crankcase at idle. If it has a metered orifice ..the maximum throughput will be achieved with max vacuum on the manifold side of it ..which is only seen under no load at most sustained engine speeds (until the exhaust backs up) or at idle.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Let's see... if the engine runs well, fuel consumption is good, power output is good, and it only consumes 1/3 quart of oil in 3,000 miles, what is there to worry about?

With that oil change interval use a conventional oil and enjoy your car.

+1 to this advice. Your car sounds like it is running just fine - don't worry, and enjoy it.

Suzuki's are good cars (in reference to your sig) - don't be ashamed of it - it's getting you where yu need to be, and is probably pretty darn good gas to boot!

Thanks again for everyone's opinion. When I was at thanksgiving dinner I realized that all the other cars I had checked for what I am calling "blow-by" to compare to what my car was doing where not overhead cam motors. So I grabbed my sisters keys and started her Honda Element, lower mileage, and It did the same thing mine does. I also checked one more overhead cam motor and got the same results.

Between seeing how other newer cars (overhead cam only) act the same as mine and all the advise given here, I am no longer worried about this (for the most part).

Thanks again for everyone's help.

the message I meant to convey, is it's not only a 10 year old car, it's a 10 year old Suzuki-why waste your time and money worrying about it?

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
the message I meant to convey, is it's not only a 10 year old car, it's a 10 year old Suzuki-why waste your time and money worrying about it?

Steve

If you are not trying to convey a message that is in the best interest of the vehicle than why would you waste your time and post anything on this forum.

My car runs and drives like it is new, with a few things I had some questions about. I am not in a position (college student, married, 3yrs. old) to buy a "new" car. This is why I "waste" my time and money worrying about it. So that it lasts. Suzuki's can go the distance if maintained just like any other car, and probably better than some.

I am going to go enjoy my 10 year old suzuki.

I guess I do bash on my car a little in my SIG. But I am more so referring to the feeling of riding in a "coke can" than the mechanical longevity. Maybe I should re-evaluate my SIG if I am so willing to stand up for my Suzuki. LOL

Don't mind SteveS ..he tries to advance everyone's timing on things he's been through. We really need USB connectors and he can use the internet to instantaneously transfer the edicts of life as it should be
grin2.gif

Oddly, it's not so much "advice" as "why bother's"
lol.gif

I mean, you might as well just grab the nearest .38 and get it over with .. you'll die eventually
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Don't mind SteveS ..he tries to advance everyone's timing on things he's been through. We really need USB connectors and he can use the internet to instantaneously transfer the edicts of life as it should be
grin2.gif

lol.gif

I mean, you might as well just grab the nearest .38 and get it over with .. you'll die eventually
grin2.gif

LOL!

You say the PCV valve is good and the system is clean. Is the PCV valve OEM or an aftermarket part? I've had issues with after market PCV valves and will only use OEM as a result. Poor idle and oil consumption were two problems that immediately come to mind. If the engine is in fact using oil because of worn rings check out Schaeffers #132 oil additive, certainly worth a try.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
grin2.gif

lol.gif

grin2.gif

Even though I did not post yet. Darn I am good and I really DO know what I am talking about Gary!!! Though I am not an self claimed internet expert.

Originally Posted By: aaron98801
Thanks again for everyone's opinion. When I was at thanksgiving dinner I realized that all the other cars I had checked for what I am calling "blow-by" to compare to what my car was doing where not overhead cam motors. So I grabbed my sisters keys and started her Honda Element, lower mileage, and It did the same thing mine does. I also checked one more overhead cam motor and got the same results.

Between seeing how other newer cars (overhead cam only) act the same as mine and all the advise given here, I am no longer worried about this (for the most part).

Thanks again for everyone's help.
As I never posted don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back