Blood shortages

Help me to understand your insight on age distribution in blood donations.
Has the current age distribution changed recently?
What are the age distribution trends over time?
Just so we cast any unintended conclusions over any age range....

I'm sure we can all think of a few things that certain age ranges don't do. But where does that get us?

Help me to understand your insight on age distribution in blood donations.
Has the current age distribution changed recently?
What are the age distribution trends over time?
Just so we cast any unintended conclusions over any age range....

I'm sure we can all think of a few things that certain age ranges don't do. But where does that get us?
You lost me in first sentence. Let me put it in simple terms: people younger than me don’t want to donate is what I’m seeing. Sorry if I was misleading

That plasma donation figure is far too high compared with what's actually being paid in my area. $30–$40 tops per visit here, according to those I know who donate, and no such thing as $100+ per visit, even starting as a new donor. Looks like clickbait to me.

I used to donate plasma, but can no longer do so because of an indefinite medical deferment due to meds I must take. (Should add this deferment was by the plasma center and my regular doctor was surprised by the action.) That kind of thing is more common than you realize, and if you counted on that money, you might be in for a surprise.

I typically donate double red cells every sixteen weeks. I am scheduled to donate later this month, but it's going to be whole blood because the donor centers around here are suffering from shortages of the apheresis kits. Supply chain issues strike again and are affecting so much more than you think. I am O+, CMV negative, so they generally want double red cells from me.

I donated regularly for years. I stopped after I reached the 10 Gallon Donor level. Advanced age and health problems caused me to stop. As to the donation rate of youngsters, when I donated regularly I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of donors younger than 30 that I saw.

Reactions: JC1
I have been donating blood plasma at BioLife Plasma for the past 3-4 years without any issues. I get a few hundred dollars every month but the frequently offer special promotions that can add a fair amount to the payouts you receive on a regular basis.

If anyone wants a referral to BioLife let me know and I can get you set up with up bonuses in your first month.

Red Cross is going through a labor dispute with their blood-letting staff, and refusing to pay going rate.

They sell the blood to hospitals/ patients/ insurance companies "for expenses" so there's no excuse why they can't pay a little more and charge a little more.

I used to donate, and get these frantic emails begging for me to sign up, but the calendar is full. I like to decide day-of to donate, to make sure I'm in good health, but can't, because they don't provide the opportunity. I get a business wanting to be 100% booked, but this isn't a business, it's a charity, and it starts with my charity.

I'm really not impressed with the Red Cross, but I don't want anyone dying (especially me) for lack of blood.

There was a regional blood bank which was much better at keeping the staff happy and the donors supplied with snacks and T-shirts. The Red Cross bought them out.

You lost me in first sentence. Let me put it in simple terms: people younger than me don’t want to donate is what I’m seeing. Sorry if I was misleading.
Maybe they should offer them i-phone updates to spur their interest in helping out...

I had a cancer over 30 years ago, which precludes me from ever being a blood donor. I'm sure I'm not alone in this sort of prohibition.

I have a 5 gallon pin and working on 6. I have read it is also healthy for the donor as well as long as one doesn't eat too many cookies after finishing.. Everyone benefits.

Back