Bleeding Power Steering on 2008 XC90 3.2AWD

Hi Guys,

I was having a small leak with a power steering hose where it goes connected to the front radiator tube. I replace the O Ring and it the process a loose a little ATF Fluid.

I rise the front of the car in order to move the steering wheel from left to right several times to make sure there was not air in the system.

Take out the car for a ride and the steering was very soft but after 15 minutes the steering goes a little harder to move.

So I have these Questions:

• Do I need to bleed the system when the ATF Fluid is Hot? I mean rise the front of the car in order to move the steering wheel from left to right several times..... Or is does not matter hot or cold

• Or maybe get a Handheld Vacuum Pump Bleeder, the ones that goes connected on top of the ATF Reservoir.

• If I use the Handheld Vacuum Bleeder. Can I use it when the ATF Fluid is Hot or I need to wait until the temperature drop?

Thx for your time and help

Isaac

I’m confused, you shouldn’t have ATF fluid in your power steering, in that Volvo. The proper fluid is Pentosin CHF.

there is no reason any power bleeding should be needed. With the cap off the PS reservoir, engine off, raise front end and turn wheel lock to lock. That should bleed the system.

I’m confused, you shouldn’t have ATF fluid in your power steering, in that Volvo. The proper fluid is Pentosin CHF.

there is no reason any power bleeding should be needed. With the cap off the PS reservoir, engine off, raise front end and turn wheel lock to lock. That should bleed the system.

Hey Volvos Rock,

Thx for your reply.

Sorry for my mistake, is not ATF Fluid, is PS Fluid what I am using (Wolf Central Hydraulic Fluid) Volvo Compatible: 1161529-1
The color is dark green.

I will do again the bleeding. Raise front end, cap off the PS reservoir, engine off and will turn wheel lock to lock several times.

• Can I do this with the PS Fluid Hot or I need to do this with the temperature drop?

• When doing the turn wheel lock to lock several times, do I have to see bubbles on the PS Reservoir?
Thx again for your help

Isaac

Attachments

• WOLF CENTRAL HYDRAULIC SPECS.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Don't understand what you mean "You can use ATF in power steering just not the other way around"

Rgds

Isaac
What I mean is you can use ATF in power steering but you cannot use power steering fluid in a transmission just so you know for future reference.

Hey Volvos Rock,

Thx for your reply.

Sorry for my mistake, is not ATF Fluid, is PS Fluid what I am using (Wolf Central Hydraulic Fluid) Volvo Compatible: 1161529-1
The color is dark green.

I will do again the bleeding. Raise front end, cap off the PS reservoir, engine off and will turn wheel lock to lock several times.

• Can I do this with the PS Fluid Hot or I need to do this with the temperature drop?

• When doing the turn wheel lock to lock several times, do I have to see bubbles on the PS Reservoir?
Thx again for your help

Isaac

The Wolf fluid is fine, this car came with CHF 202 IIRC which is compatible with CHF 11S, the Wolf fluid seems to cover both.
It doesn't matter hot or cold but what does matter is setting the fluid level to the correct level after you do it. When done hot the new fluid is cold so set it at the cold level, drive the car and and make sure it is at the hot level, adjust if necessary.

Guys

I found what was the problem. The PS Fluid Reservoir was very dirty inside. 🤭

There is a very fine mesh filter in the bottom of the PS Fluid Reservoir. It was covered in a slush/mud and this was making resistance to the flow of the PS Fluid.

We removed the reservoir and clean the inside and the mesh with brake cleaner.

Now the steering wheel is very soft and everything is OK :)

Thank you guys

Isaac

Attachments

• PS FLUID RESERVOIR.jpg
    PS FLUID RESERVOIR.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 21
Back