Bleeding off Harbour Freight Jacks without the handle

I got myself into a situation where I picked up the back end of a pickup by jacking the rear diff. The truck just fit in the garage and the jack handle ended up going past the garage door to the outside. I wanted to pull the handle and close the door. Wammo, the handle receiving assembly flipped up into the upward position where I could not get the handle back in. Owners of these big jacks might know what I mean. I could not re-insert the jack handle because there was not enough clearance under the truck. The bleed off assembly is inside the spring loaded jack attachment point.

When I was done my work, I used a 3/4 inch long socket and 1/2 inch ratchet to bleed off and lower the jack. I found it fit over the square jack drive but was a tight fit and was actually pretty hard to pull off. Anyone else run into this situation and is there a tool made to reach in and bleed off the jack without the handle?

667A4606-8B5D-40C8-9368-62D7D6089AE7.jpeg
D35F530A-E01E-41D3-B6A3-A3953293E010.jpeg

Can’t you bend it down with the ratchet, wedge wood or something to keep the actual spring loaded piece from returning, and then get the handle in there?

BTDT in a less challenging scenario (smaller jack), where I could move it down by hand, but that’s all I did…

I tried my cheater bar but it was too long to get it into the receiver. With the jack on the up position that receiver is in virtually in a locked position. Moving it ( pumping it ) requires the leverage of the four foot long jack handle. A screwdriver is not enough to move it. Here are some photos. The same large jacks that Harbour freight sells is marketed by Canadian Tire under the Motomaster Eliminator brand name.

314E2317-E45C-4C70-B154-4FDD0E4B2D58.jpeg
C3F686E3-B2C4-486B-9467-7E2A219D2A0A.jpeg
D7B6196A-0707-408E-AF54-80BB99C94573.jpeg
EAEBFBB1-7F76-474E-99E3-4303B039CC1F.jpeg

Last edited:
The device that needs to be turned is inside the well of the receiver, has a tapered round nose, but morphs into a square that a 3/4 inch socket can sort of fit on but in reality gets jammed in the transition from a round nose to a share body.

TheqYou need another jack to lift the truck off the jack that's "stuck". Can the jack that came with the truck be used?
Yes, and also another smaller jack. I could put the two jacks under the axle, get the load off, pull the large jack out, put the handle back in and put it under again, this time with the garage door open and the jack handle in place. Another way to skin the cat.

Back