bleeding breaks

That will turn into an ordeal as I had accidently bashed my wheel speed sensor while replacing struts to which it no longer works and broke off in the rear knuckle.
Unfortunately, it needs to be done with the hyundai GDS. the poor mans way is to drive it, hit brakes hard enough to set off the ABS, then bleed again. Either way, you would need to replace that sensor, as I dont think your ABS will work correctly, and you know taking it to the dealer to have them run the GDS, they will flag that sensor.

Unfortunately, it needs to be done with the hyundai GDS. the poor mans way is to drive it, hit brakes hard enough to set off the ABS, then bleed again. Either way, you would need to replace that sensor, as I dont think your ABS will work correctly, and you know taking it to the dealer to have them run the GDS, they will flag that sensor.
I have had the rear calipers off of this car before and had the fluid drained out. Is the fluid in the abs system completely sealed off? And if so how would that affect pedal feel when it is not part of the general breaking sump?

I have had the rear calipers off of this car before and had the fluid drained out. Is the fluid in the abs system completely sealed off? And if so how would that affect pedal feel when it is not part of the general breaking sump?
So all the fluid drained out? Then yes, there is likely air in the ABS actuator.

Sometimes it is good if you learn up on some things before you attempt certain repairs.

It is part of the system, and is not sealed off from the 'rest' of it. The ABS unit simply uses a 'motor' of sorts to pump fluid from a main area to 4 individual areas (wheels) depending on inputs from speed sensors on the wheels. It will remain open normally, and will open and close certain valves/orifices rapidly as needed to prevent the brakes from locking up. Since the fluid remains in the unit and flows normally through it while normal braking, the valves and routing of fluid that occur in the ABS unit means that unless the system is actuated, some of those routes will retain air, and result in the spongy pedal, or inability to bleed all the air from the system. That's the best way I can explain it.

It is part of the system, and is not sealed off from the 'rest' of it. The ABS unit simply uses a 'motor' of sorts to pump fluid from a main area to 4 individual areas (wheels) depending on inputs from speed sensors on the wheels. It will remain open normally, and will open and close certain valves/orifices rapidly as needed to prevent the brakes from locking up. Since the fluid remains in the unit and flows normally through it while normal braking, the valves and routing of fluid that occur in the ABS unit means that unless the system is actuated, some of those routes will retain air, and result in the spongy pedal, or inability to bleed all the air from the system. That's the best way I can explain it.
I appreciate the explanation it makes a lot better sense now. It’s all part of the learning experience. I ordered a scan tool that is supposedly able to cycle abs but also reads srs codes of which I have in my car and I know quite a few people with. So we will see how this pans out in about a week when my wheel speed sensor and scan tool arrive.

Back