Blackstone zddp not a true concern, misinformation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: widman

So, bottom line on ZDDP:
I've written my main paper on the subject. I still believe it is necessary in flat tappet engines. I also believe some people take it to extremes. The levels in any oil on the market are higher than they war 50 years ago. One of the readers of my paper has offered a quart of oil from the 60's for analysis, so as soon as I see those results I'll have an idea of what was in the market (other than the theoretical that I've used to date).

I DO NOT believe in "mix-your-own" with ZDDP supplements. The damage of going over 1600 ppm is not good. The damage of going over 1800 ppm is documented by SAE studies. Why risk it when a good CI-4 is plenty and will keep the engine clean as well? Even a Synthetic CJ-4 is great. And go with the Synthetic and you are probably (I don't have the test equipment) a level of elastohydrodynamic lubrication to the mix.

Thanks for bringing this up. Although a lot of what he says has been debunked on the forum, I'll go ahead and post this there as well.

Link to the seleccion of engine oil for flat tappet engines

Thank you for the post and link!

So, bottom line on ZDDP:
I've written my main paper on the subject. I still believe it is necessary in flat tappet engines. I also believe some people take it to extremes. The levels in any oil on the market are higher than they war 50 years ago. One of the readers of my paper has offered a quart of oil from the 60's for analysis, so as soon as I see those results I'll have an idea of what was in the market (other than the theoretical that I've used to date).

So one qt of oil will give you relevant data? That is abysmally incorrect procedure.
Flat tappet does not mean pushrod engines , nor high loading.
Many OHC designs are flat tappet, with very light loading [springs and valve mass].

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
So one qt of oil will give you relevant data? That is abysmally incorrect procedure.

Blackstone, if I recall correctly, also tested a number of vintage oils. You'll have to check their site to be sure. I believe that several of the big names had zinc and phosphorous levels that would meet SN/GF-5 limitations with ease. As for the Popular Mechanics story, I'd have to do some digging to see how many they tested, or if they relied on oil company data, or what.

I've got a couple vintage bottles of PCMO in my garage I'm going to send off one of these days, too, just out of curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back