Blackstone Testing Old Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Blackstone customer, I receive the monthly newsletters via e-mail (I think anyone can sign up for them) and was surprised to see they had bought a whack of old oil from eBay and was testing it to see how well it held up through the years. One of the Blackstone guys plans to run some of it in his SBC.

Blackstone Old Oil Tests

Any thoughts?

Got it from my email too, look at the zinc level on some of the regular dino oil, its over 1000
smile.gif

That's a fun read. Probably few engines that are less sensitive to oil than an SBC. Wish there were wear results for it though...

Well i guess I'm a day late. My blackstone sample for the nox should arrive today and hopefully have the results by the end of today/tomorrow. Interesting.

Last edited:
I like how the ARCO has 11ppm iron straight out of the can, none the less this is cool to see someone doing.

Originally Posted By: jaj
Interesting article. Some of those oils, even from respected brands, have virtually zero TBN.

Zero TBN is for non-detergent oils.

I enjoyed the info greatly because it reinforces my theory that oil can't measure time when in a sealed container (some caveats to that, of course). I can't think of why I would want to use 1968 oil when so much better products exist, but it makes me more confident using an oil stash that might be five years old and also keeping oil in vehicles that don't gather miles as fast as minutes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
I like how the ARCO has 11ppm iron straight out of the can, none the less this is cool to see someone doing.
Thats right, baby!
Fe can be leftover from reaction catalyst.

It amazes me just how much Ca some of those old oils use!

I thought Ca-based detergent packs were a more modern thing, and that oils from this era used more Mg detergents - guess not!

That is really, really neat to see!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
You have parts 2 and 3?

Article said coming later in the summer......

I had no idea Blackstone did these articles. I found it a good, entertaining read. Thanks for posting up the link and please post when future articles are released.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: jaj
Interesting article. Some of those oils, even from respected brands, have virtually zero TBN.

Zero TBN is for non-detergent oils.

I enjoyed the info greatly because it reinforces my theory that oil can't measure time when in a sealed container (some caveats to that, of course). I can't think of why I would want to use 1968 oil when so much better products exist, but it makes me more confident using an oil stash that might be five years old and also keeping oil in vehicles that don't gather miles as fast as minutes.

+1 on that Jim! I am very comfortable with keeping my stash past 5 years in the event that I do not use all of it within that time frame. How about that TBN from the 1968 Havoline? 11.8 (not shaken) and 10.8 (shaken) -- that TBN is higher than some of the modern oils and the Havoline is 44 years old!

A cool read.
I'd use the Havoline today.
Also pretty well trumps any arguments about the need to shake up oil before use.

You know what I liked? At the end where they had the UOA on the Jeep Wrangler and asked what the fix was, I knew it was most likely air filter related thanks to this site! I have learned quite a bit about oils and maintenance in general since I joined. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back