Blackstone or Butler cat for OA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods, not sure if this is the right section, if not please move.

Have been using blackstone on the last 2 samples on my vette. $20 each

I see where butler cat is now a supporting vendor:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000031

Their OA is $12. Does anybody see a downside in going with them?

Here is the email I got back from them about samples:

quote:

We sell our sample kits prepaid, you can order them by calling our parts department at 800-584-0890. The price includes bottle, mailer, postage to the lab, and processing. We hope to have a PayPal order screen set up soon so it will be a lot easier to order. If you have a container you can also just send us a sample and a check for $12 made out to Butler Machinery Co. We get a lot of samples in plastic pop bottles and they work pretty well as long as they are clean and dry. If you want TBN include an additional $10. We don't run TBN as a routine analysis and don't really feel it is necessary since the FTIR measures oil condition, but we do offer the service if you need it.

Our address is:

Butler Machinery Co.
Attn: Mark - Lab
3630 Miriam Ave
PO Box 757
Bismarck, ND 58501

Thanks
Mark

I think they are both great. Mix it up a bit and use Butler this time. That is what I would do. If you go with BLKstone, getting Terry's opinion.

silverz,

I have been contimplating the same thing, I think I will be going with the Butler this time. Mark got back to me within a couple of hours after I contacted them, and was very helpful. I think Motorbike has used their servieces on more than one occassion.

If you want to know the TBN then Butler is going to be more expensive. They don't include it in their $12 kit.

So your choice will probably hinge on this one test. If you don't need the TBN then save the money and buy Butler. If you do want to know the TBN or monitor the depletion rate over a trend cycle then I'd go with Blackstone.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
If you want to know the TBN then Butler is going to be more expensive. They don't include it in their $12 kit.

So your choice will probably hinge on this one test. If you don't need the TBN then save the money and buy Butler. If you do want to know the TBN or monitor the depletion rate over a trend cycle then I'd go with Blackstone.

I think Butler is $22 total with TBN. At least thats what I sent them a check for with the sample.
dunno.gif

Sample went out monday.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:

Blackstone also charges $10 for TBN.

I've been quite confused by the infatuation with Blackstone ever since I got the bottle from them. It explained that even though their analysis charge is ~$20, they don't do a TBN for that. TBN is an extra $10. Caterpillar dealers charge $12 + $10 more for TBN. It's not just Butler Cat (whoever they are), it's all of them that have the lab that I know of.

Also, I've never paid more than $20 per test (including TBN) any time I've gotten test kits from my Chevron or Union 76 distributors. One Chevron guy was $15! Maybe I was getting subsidized since I bought things by the drum, but I doubt it because the $15 Chevron distributor never sold me more than 3 gallons of anything.

Now, you get into Dyson analysis service and that's a whole different ballgame. But just the straight lab work is too expensive for me at Blackstone.
tongue.gif

A co-worker of mine, husband, works for Butler-Cat. I had a chance a couple of weeks ago to talk about testing. He explained to me that it's not only the facility thats improtant, but the expertise of the testers doing your sample. You need to be able to recreate your result from tester to tester. My contact on the Butler team has 14 years of experience and I think he is the youngest one there. They do samples from all over the world.

I have never heard any bad feedback about Blackstone on forum either, so I would conclude that the are both top notch.

I'll stick with OAI. Under $20 prepaid and it includes TBN.

People argue about accuracy. All the labs suffer from the standard error. There a couple labs that go beyond it. OAI and Blackstone do fine, Butler looks good too, but I haven't studied them.

I love the Butler particle counts.

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:
okay, ignorant here, TBN shows me what in a OA?

darrell
sin city

How to waste $10,for most short OCI's

[ March 03, 2005, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

TBN,total base number.How much acid buffering ability the oil has.My remark was meant to imply,that for short oil drain intervals,TBN is usually a waste of money.
I hope the link I gave you in the PM was helpful.Try a search and see if it helps.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Blackstone has been a Sponsor on this board since its inception, family owned and has provided us with excellent reports and VOA's. Butler Labs is owned by Butler Machinery Co., a CAT Dealer. The Lab Manager is a degreed Chemist and is very knowledgeable, and has provided us with many VOA's and particle counts.

So with both being site sponsors, choose one and post your results.

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back