A Universal UOA Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another thread the idea of a universal-format for UOAs came up. If we began using such a format, it would help us when we input data from the UOA section to begin comparing different UOAs on the same vehicle, different UOAs for the same oil, or what have you.
I worked up a spreadsheet, and per the suggestion of one poster, I put the elements in (roughly) the Blackstone format, such that I would minimize labor time for people who have to harvest UOAs.
I believe this form fully accomodates the values reported 90% of the time from Blackstone, OAI, Butler, Titan Labs and Schaeffers. I need to doublecheck Wearcheck Canada and Oilguard. Is there an Oilguard Lab? I can't even remember today.
I'm posting a sample of the format. The example is a UOA I found on here while tabulating *every* 3.0 L Ford Duratec UOA on the board. It just happenned to be in my leftmost column. Please let me know if there's something wrong with my format or I'm missing an element or value.
I know this thing is long. That is a given. I also realize that some of the values on here are only tested or given for ONE lab, and that sometimes that lab very, very rarely does UOAs that wind up on here.
I also realize that comparing Iron, TBN or a number of other values between two different labs can sometimes be misleading or downright stupid; nonetheless I believe it would be nice to be able to archive this data for personal use without having to continually add columns or maintain 4 different spreadsheets.
NR means Not Reported.
This data comes from Notepad by means of Excel. I'll post my Excel spreadsheet later on.

code:

Date 2/4/2006

Lab Blackstone

***Vehicle ID***

Make Mercury

Model Sable

Year 2003

Engine Duratec 3.0L

Miles on Vehicle 43858

***Oil Identification***

Oil Brand Motorcraft

Oil Series Synthetic Blend

Oil SAE J300 5W20

API SX SM

Miles on Oil 6860

Months In Service NR

***Elements***

Antimony NR

Cadmium NR

Vanadium NR

Aluminum 2

Chromium 0

Iron 8

Copper 1

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 49

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 149

Silicon 14

Sodium 4

Calcium 1602

Magnesium 6

Phosporus 584

Zinc 651

Barium 9

***Viscosity***

cST @ 100 C NR

SUS @ 210 F 50.9

***Misc***

Flashpoint 345

Fuel % 1.3

Antifreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.2

Sulfur NR

Oxidation NR

Nitration NR

TBN 2

Ferrous Debris NR

Fuel Soot % NR

Glycol NR

Additives NR

URL

Notes

PS - If this belonged in the UOA forum, I apologize. It seemed like that would have been wrong since this isn't actually about NEW used oil analysis results but is rather about formatting.

Having a template and having everyone follow it when inputting UOA's is an excellent idea. With the same format we can ccreate spreadsheets. The onlyt issue i Have is that everyone does not have excel. But like posting pictures I am sure this can be overcome with cooperation.

Then we can post side by sides easily.. I need a little practice but you get the point.
code:

Date 2/4/2006 11/22/2005

Lab Blackstone

***Vehicle ID*** 04 OULANDER

Make Mercury Mitsubishi

Model Sable Outlander

Year 2003 2004

Engine Duratec 3.0L 4G69

Miles on Vehicle 43858 22,537

***Oil Identification***

Oil Brand Motorcraft Valvoline

Oil Series Synthetic Blend Maxlife Synthetic

Oil SAE J300 5W20 5w30

API SX SM SL

Miles on Oil 6860 6494

Months In Service NR 5

***Elements***

Antimony NR

Cadmium NR

Vanadium NR

Aluminum 2 3

Chromium 0

Iron 8 4

Copper 1 2

Lead 0 2

Tin 0

Molybdenum 49 233

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0 2

Boron 149 3

Silicon 14 8

Sodium 4 2

Calcium 1602 2591

Magnesium 6 9

Phosporus 584 663

Zinc 651 859

Barium 9 0

***Viscosity***

cST @ 100 C NR 11.5

SUS @ 210 F 50.9 64.3

***Misc***

Flashpoint 345 380

Fuel % 1.3
Antifreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.2 0.3

Sulfur NR

Oxidation NR

Nitration NR

TBN 2 2.7

Ferrous Debris NR

Fuel Soot % NR

Glycol NR

Additives NR

URL

Notes

One of the neat features of the spreadsheet is I make all left-side fields the same width. So, for example, date might be "Date" plus 18 spaces but TBN might be "TBN" plus 19 spaces. Makes for less hitting the space bar to make stuff line up.
My biggest concern with side by sides is making it compact. It would be nice to put 10 UOAs side by side, but if we're leaving items like Duratec 3.0L (12 characters) and Maxlife Synthetic (17
characters) in, then we'll probably wind up limited to 4 or 5 UOA actually being on one screen before you have to scroll sideways, at least if you don't have good vision and a big high-res monitor.
I'm considering specifying data field widths. in every case I can think of, the numeric data representing meaningful values is limited to 6 digits (car mileage) or less. Additives are 3 to 4 digits, wear metals are 1-3 digits, viscosities tend to express in 3 to 4 digits including decimal marks.
One option (Let's say option B) would be something like this:

code:

Date |2/4/ |11/22

|2006 |2005

| |

Lab |Black |Black

|stone |stone

| |

***Vehicle ID*** | |

Make |Mercury |Mitsub-

| |ishi

Model |Sable |Out-

| |lander

Year |2003 |2004

Engine |Duratec |4G69

|3.0L |

Miles on Vehicle |43858 |22537

| |

***Oil ID*** | |

Oil Brand |Motor |Valvo

|craft |line

Oil Series |Synth |Maxlife

|etic |Synth

|Blend |etic

Oil SAE J300 |5W20 |5w30

API SX |SM |SL

Miles on Oil |6860 |6494

Months In Service |NR |5

| |

***Elements*** | |

Antimony |NR |

Cadmium |NR |

***SNIP*** | |

You'll notice there are now 17 characters in Column A, while columns B, C, etc have 8 characters. That would let us display values up to 9999999 (anything less than 10 million) and have a space before the next column's separator.

Another option would be, when posting, separating the car/engine/lab information out from the actual results. In this option we keep our DATA in a spreadsheet resembling Bryanccfshr's post (which is basically what my master Excel spreadsheet looks like) and remembering to put a brief outline in our UOA postings.

"Vehicle A is a 2003 Mercury Sable with the Duratec 3.0L and 43858 vehicle miles with a 6860 mile sample of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20 in.
Vehicle B is a 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander with the 4G69 and 22537 vehicle miles with a 6494 mile sample of Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5W30."

code:

Date |2/4/2006 |11/22/2005

***Vehicle ID*** |A |B

Miles on Vehicle |43858 |22537

| |

***Oil ID*** | |

Oil SAE J300 |5W20 |5w30

API SX |SM |SL

Miles on Oil |6860 |6494

Months In Service |NR |5

| |

***Elements*** | |

Antimony |NR |

Cadmium |NR |

***SNIP*** | |

On reflection, I really like the idea of storing data, warts and all, in an Excel spreadsheet styled after Option A. That would let you keep a 9 mile long URL for where you found the UOA. It would also let you keep in NOTES with important stuff in them like "Originally 4 QTs M1 0W30. 2 QTs M1 0W40. Makeup was 3 QTs M1 0W30, 1 QT M1 0W30R." or "Has K&N Air filter in."
Then when posting time comes, if you have the energy, posting per Option B would really be neat. Of course, I and everyone else will emphasize, if it's too much work to format it all nice and pretty, PLEASE post it anyway. What this board really needs is more UOAs, not less and prettier UOAs.

"What this board really needs is more UOAs, not less and prettier UOAs."
True. It was simple enough to plug the values into your format. Not everyone has to do it but being able to share among ourselves our data logs using the same type of format would be helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back