Bit of modification on old equipment trailer

Thought you guys might like to see this. The pintle ring had always been at the wrong height for all of my trucks and was well past worn out(hole was egg shaped). I decided to go this route so it could be adjusted in the future and the ring could be replaced if necessary. This is a 1969 Dynaweld 3 axle trailer that I am restoring and painting to match my dump truck. The most it will ever haul is a skidsteer and 1 or 2 attachments. The trailer will be getting sand blasted, rust repaired, painted, new floor, new wiring with LED lights, new brake assemblies, tires/wheels, and I will repack the hubs and replace any bearings that are rough.

617AB3FB-2F92-4264-8CC5-5476E6CB952B.jpeg
423F3FBE-BB24-45A7-9395-65623C48E1C2.jpeg
6B24FC2E-BA0B-479E-A836-2A160CADCBBF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious....will even a Grade eight bolt hold up to the sideways bending force you will be exerting on it it by towing a skid steer?

Just curious....will even a Grade eight bolt hold up to the sideways bending force you will be exerting on it it by towing a skid steer?
Short answer is yes but I have no real engineering knowledge to back that up. I can’t tell you the math behind it but have pulled a bunch of trailers set up this way with grade 5 and grade 8 bolts.
Nice job! The gusset came out great.
Thanks! I’m no professional but I try to do my best.

Short answer is yes but I have no real engineering knowledge to back that up. I can’t tell you the math behind it but have pulled a bunch of trailers set up this way with grade 5 and grade 8 bolts.

Thanks! I’m no professional but I try to do my best.
Just for reference I have a Husky trailer hitch set up and it uses 3/4" bolts to hold the hitch together in a similar fashion. The hitch is designed for 12,000lbs and 800-1200lbs tongue weight. I haul a 36' TT with this set up. I suspect you will be grossing more than 12K with a tri-axle trailer...?

here is a link for reference... Husky hitch

IMO, the bolt size, the torque on the bolt and the fitment between the pintle hitch and the new bracket is what you need to watch. I would ensure there is no gap between the U channel and hitch parts.

just my $0.02

Back