Biodiesel From Lard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 5 gallon bucket of used oil from a donut shop. It is a solid when they put it in the fryer and it turns back solid around 90F. So as an experiment I made a Liter test batch. It was interesting because even though it was used it titrated at 1Gram per liter. I did heat the oil to liquefy it. It made biodiesel very quick. The glycerin dropped out in about 2 minutes when I quit stirring. This biodiesel is good to run in the summer, but the cloud point is to high to run in cold weather.

Solid Veggie oil: (lard/shortening)
 -

Liquified after heating:

-

Biodiesel from the above:

-

You are correct, animal fat is used for lard. What I have is shortening and is somewhat granular, but as an old timer, every thing to me that is solid in cooking is lard.
grin.gif

What was interesting to me is that the biodiesel was as clear and crisp and golden color as any I have made. And to top it off, I did not wash it, that picture was taken as soon as it cooled.

quote:

Originally posted by Bio-T:
You are correct, animal fat is used for lard. What I have is shortening and is somewhat granular, but as an old timer, every thing to me that is solid in cooking is lard.
grin.gif

What was interesting to me is that the biodiesel was as clear and crisp and golden color as any I have made. And to top it off, I did not wash it, that picture was taken as soon as it cooled.

I'm not a connisewer of cooking fat, but that stuff looks pretty good for used fast food cooking fat. Keep those people happy.

It actually came from a Donut Shop. It has the pure sugar smell. I can get as much as I want, but the cost to heat it to liquefy and then convert to biodiesel ups my cost. I will use this stuff if my oil supply runs dry.

smile.gif

How long do you have to keep it > 90F? How much higher than 90? Even here in Michigan, anything left in the sun during the summer gets darn hot, I'd think Arkansas would be even worst [better, depending on how you look at it]. Could you use solar heat as part of your reaction process?

Dave

Dave,

I can keep the lard above 90 degrees in the sun, but in 8 hours a 5 gallon bucket never liquifies enough to use.

In the actual biodiesel reaction process it only takes about 2 hours of heat (80 liter batch). So the cost benefit of using Solar to heat the oil would not ever be a payback in my mind. I am saying this because of the cost factor to build and then pipe the hot water and make coils etc.

"Isn't lard pig fat by definition?"
Correct
Tallow is cows
lard makes a good bio diesel would be called
methy lardate for lard
versus methyl soyate for soybean oil based Bio.
bruce

Pablo,
I've thought of that before.

Interesting add campaign, where lack of walking using cars instead provides the fuel to get you around.

Do you think that the hydrogenated vegetable oil, or tallow or lard for that matter, will give a better energy output or better lubricity than normal veggie oil biodiesel? I know gelling will be a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back