Bike Ticket: Ran Stop Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually does sound like a b s ticket. But I can't run my car up the curb when I'm wanting to make a right on red and I'm stuck behind a cop.

26276981136_85a3d09c91_z.jpg

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Unfortunate set of events and choice by you to pass cop. Now a colossal waste of time. i seriously doubt this will make it to court. The prosecutor will likely find larger fish to fry and throw this out.

Let us know how it goes.

OP is in Texas..

In NY, to be considered a pedestrian walking the bike, you do have to dismount the bike completely. You can't be straddling the frame at all.

I used to ride, i never passed on the right or passed a line of stopped cars at a red light.
Having said that, your best defense is that your foot was on the ground and you were walking the bike, therefore you were then a pedestrian.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
I also would claim to 'walking aspect" and ask how a non-motorized vechile can get a ticket intended for motor vechiles.

^^^This. From a legal perspective, you don't need a driver's license to ride a bicycle. What if you were 12 years old? And if bicycling counts as "driving," does skateboarding or rollerblading?

In a jury trial, the issuing officer will be present as a witness for the State. This situation is so ridiculous, if it were me, I swear I'd hire a lawyer to ask this overgrown ape of an enforcement officer some embarrassing questions on the witness stand; like, is rollerblading driving or a pedestrian activity?

Good thing you did not talk back to the overbearing State; you might have been tasered into unconsciousness, handcuffed & body slammed on your face on concrete. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...ticle-1.1941189

And police wonder why John Q Public has no respect for them? They deserve none.

Here's how I understand it to have happened:

Cop first in line in the right lane waiting to go straight (NOT a right turn only lane). Bicyclist wants to turn right, squeezes by on the right, and turns left, all while the signal is red.

And, the ticket was for not stopping before turning right on a red? I think since you were walking the bike by the car, you inherently had to "stop" before going. Now, if the ticket was something along the lines of having two vehicles in one lane, then maybe?

What I really don't get is how you can get a moving violation and points on your driver's license. What if you didn't even have a drivers license?

What does the ticket say as a the reason for the ticket? Does it list the law that you broke (many tickets will say running stop sign TX306.5). This is very important.

And I agree do not say bike; say bicycle. Do not say rode around car say walked bicycle around cop to safe view of road. etc...

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Here's how I understand it to have happened:

Cop first in line in the right [TURN ONLY] lane waiting to go straight (NOT a right turn only lane). Bicyclist wants to turn right, [stops behind the deputy's car, puts foot down], squeezes by on the right, and turns left, Right, all while the signal is red.

And, the ticket was for not stopping before turning right on a red? I think since you were walking the bike by the car, you inherently had to "stop" before going. Now, if the ticket was something along the lines of having two vehicles in one lane, then maybe?

What I really don't get is how you can get a moving violation and points on your driver's license. What if you didn't even have a drivers license?

Fixed it for ya.

Obviously I need to do some legal research. Doesn't make sense though that a BICYCLE traffic citation can be charged the same as an gas/electric vehicle violation, when the former requires no operators license, no liability insurance, no BICYCLE registration, no state inspection, nor no bridge, usage, etc. fees.

FUBAR....

The indignant attitude he assumed when he stopped you was likely just an interview technique. It throws the person being stopped off balance, so to speak.

That said, I'm surprised he actually cited you for it. A lot of times people get stopped by an officer and allow their mouth to maneuver them into get them a ticket, when they otherwise probably would've just received a warning, although from what you wrote it doesn't sound like that happened in your case.

I definitely agree that if you walked the bicycle around the officer's vehicle, then emphasize that.

I'm not sure what the traffic law is in your state, but here in Alaska bicycles are subject to traffic law when they're being ridden in the roadway--however, they are not subject to traffic law when being ridden on a sidewalk or bike path. To be honest, I'm not sure how it would apply if a person rode the bicycle up to an intersection and then got off and walked it through.

You may be setting new legal precent here!
grin.gif

Last edited:
Wow. Bikes DO need to adhere to the moving regulations for the road. Absolutely. But this is such an oddity that it's worth the judge weighing in.

Id think that any reasonable judge would throw this out. But asking for a jury trial adds a lot of complexity. OP, what qualifications do you have for jury selection??

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
What does the ticket say as a the reason for the ticket? Does it list the law that you broke (many tickets will say running stop sign TX306.5). This is very important.

And I agree do not say bike; say bicycle. Do not say rode around car say walked bicycle around cop to safe view of road. etc...

"Citation VIO 1: RAN RED LIGHT ON A BICYCLE"

I find it interesting that I can be charged as such when no velocity was recorded on a ticket. IOW, "Alleged Speed" isn't even filled in.

Taking a closer look at this tkt, I realize I need to copy it to preserve it. Looks like it was printed on the same type of printer that grocery, box store receipts are printed on that FADE over time.

Looks like I was also on the road bike. Which means no Granny Gear. Only two chainwheels up front, thus only 12 speeds. Which means I was REALLY huffing up that hill.

Just came back from a little ride on the Rockhopper (which I was NOT riding when ticketed). When seated, only tip toes barely on pavement. Black, road bicycle is the same though.

I did have three points of contact when moving/wheeling by him: two tires and one foot. So is that RIDING or WALKING a bicycle?

Nice......

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
I would also get into the habit of referring to bicycle, not bike, every time you mention it. When I say I 'bike' people think motor, not pedal. And I also would claim to 'walking aspect" and ask how a non-motorized vehicles can get a ticket intended for motor vehicles.
It is still considered a vehicle subject to the rules. Like J walking or not following crossing signal. I got a ticket running a stop sign on a bicycle about 30 years ago i just paid it . Told the cop I am glad he was keeping me safe. It is just another tax . Cost of doing business.

So you passed on thr right and proceeded into a red light? Is that correct?

If it is, you broke the law.

Maybe I am a bit biased though. I live at an intersection with a bike route. Less then 5 out of 100 stop for the stop sign, which is at the bottom of a hill. And it's blind to the left.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: Jimzz

"Citation VIO 1: RAN RED LIGHT ON A BICYCLE"

I find it interesting that I can be charged as such when no velocity was recorded on a ticket. IOW, "Alleged Speed" isn't even filled in.

Taking a closer look at this tkt, I realize I need to copy it to preserve it. Looks like it was printed on the same type of printer that grocery, box store receipts are printed on that FADE over time.

Looks like I was also on the road bike. Which means no Granny Gear. Only two chainwheels up front, thus only 12 speeds. Which means I was REALLY huffing up that hill.

Just came back from a little ride on the Rockhopper (which I was NOT riding when ticketed). When seated, only tip toes barely on pavement. Black, road bicycle is the same though.

I did have three points of contact when moving/wheeling by him: two tires and one foot. So is that RIDING or WALKING a bicycle?

Nice......

Have not had a chance to review yet but here is the Texas laws that apply to bicycles...

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/TN/htm/TN.551.htm

For those wondering about the ticket being for someone driving. Some states allow DUI's to be assigned to cyclists.

The cop was a jerk for sure, but your decision to not wait out the light wasn't the best. By instinct, and the posted statute wasn't of much help, I feel you technically did commit a violation but not one worthy of such a severe penalty. I would contact the prosecutor and ask to plead guilty to a lesser charge, such as failure to obey a traffic sign or jaywalking, which carries no points. I can't imagine the prosecutor wants to waste his time on this. But the municipality / state wants its piece of your hide ( the money). I would never invest as much time as a jury trial would take, and I wouldn't have any confidence in how a jury would decide.

Running the stop light on a bicycle makes you a rebel and you will never ever be any good !!!!

Also, I wouldn't take it for granted that, if it goes to trial, the DA won't pursue this with any less zeal than any other case. These guys take their conviction percentage very seriously, and a DA wouldn't look good losing a case involving a bicycle and a traffic light. But a guilty plea on a lesser charge suits him or her just fine.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Well. If you bicyclers want to share the road you need to use the road as just like all other vehicles have too.
This.

As a cyclist, the minority that does not respect the rules of the road gives us a bad name.
Agree, Us cyclist get enough flack from motorist due to those that do not follow the ROTR. My biggest fear is getting hit because of someone texting and not paying attention. It is bad enough that we are hard to be seen. I wear bright colors and have bright flashing LED's. I look like a circus clown on the road.

I must say, what an interesting series of responses!

RAH: Rather than "driving" by, you should re-read the detailed account I posted. I did stop. All previous "rt turn only" drivers in this situation have moved on within seconds. I know because I've been there. Further, this particular road has wide shoulders to the right of the solid, white line. That's where I ride. Legally. In the state of Tx., driving an auto on the shoulder for any distance is a ticketable offense.

I'm in the habit of yielding to cars when bicycling? Why? Because they're bigger and odds are that I'll lose in any accident involving them & me. On the other hand, there are PLENTY of bicycle nazis in this area who gang together, in mass rides, deliberately during rush hour, to block traffic. I'm not one of them. I'm not riding to make a "statement", I'm riding to stay in shape and because I enjoy it.

UGP: See above.

R407: "Us cyclist?" Who is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back