Bike chains

I take the chain off, clean in a jar of paint thinner, dry off with a rag, lube with chain saw bar oil.
Every 250 miles or so.

Nice bikes get cleaned with simple green and one of those chain scrubbers before lubing with liquid wrench chain and cable lube. Dries to a clear wax- something like T9- but extra wear prevention from organic moly.

When I used to ride one of the supposedly high performance chain lubes was Pedro's Syn Lube. I guess they're still around. Their instructions were to place drops in each link, work it in, than place another drop. But the rumor I heard was that it was just bulk Mobil 1 with a green dye.

WD-40 and a shop rag. Spray, wipe clean. Re-apply the lube.

Keeping a chain clean won't necessarily increase the chain's life, but it will keep it shifting well. A dirty chain loses it's lateral flex; at best you'll experience poor shifting, at worst, you'll drop the chain when you are out of the saddle and shifting to sprint... (Ask me how I know that
blush.gif
)

Get a chain stretch gauge and replace it when it it out of spec. Running a stretched chain will chew up the rear cassette, and you'll wind up replacing both. My 11 speed chains run about $45-50 and replacing my Ultegra 11 speed cassette would cost about $80+, excluding labor.

By the way, your weight and power will factor into the chain life more than anything else. Some of the smaller guys I ride with can go close to 10k on one chain. I'm 220 lbs and put down lots of watts, and I only get 1500 - 2000 miles before it stretches too much.

Yup! Big boys dropping power stretches chains. Usually get 1600-1800 miles a chain on road bikes.

Back