Big problem, any way to get this out?

wtd

I was changing the spark plugs in my fiance's 94 Cavalier with the 2.2L. Two of the plugs came out easy. Two seemed stuck. I put penetrating fluid down in the hole and let it sit. One came out and the other did not. I let it sit longer and than tried again. Part of the plug came out but left the threaded portion in the head. I have never seen one do this.

Is there any way to remove the threaded part that is left without removing the head? Any ideas what to try?
22qwqOGl.jpg

I do have a #5 spiral flute extractor but no tap sockets.
Before using the #5 (or #6) reverse spiral screw extractor, you will need to grind off ~1/4" of the tip. This will prevent the extractor from breaking off the electrode that is at the bottom of the threaded remnant base of the spark plug. You can use the ceramic insulator part of the spark plug that came out to gauge how much of the extractor to grind off. I had to do this several years ago and it came out without too much trouble when I used a cordless impact wrench with the screw extractor to "shock" the stuck plug base loose.

Reactions: wtd
Before using the #5 (or #6) reverse spiral screw extractor, you will need to grind off ~1/4" of the tip. This will prevent the extractor from breaking off the electrode that is at the bottom of the threaded remnant base of the spark plug. You can use the ceramic insulator part of the spark plug that came out to gauge how much of the extractor to grind off. I had to do this several years ago and it came out without too much trouble when I used a cordless impact wrench with the screw extractor to "shock" the stuck plug base loose.
Thanks for that tip. I'm still deciding if the spiral or the straight extractor will be the best to use. I ordered some tap sockets and since she has other vehicles to drive, this one can sit for a while.

Be careful with the spiral. I've had them snap will little warning. If they are carbide, they are hard but brittle, you won't feel them start to give just a sudden snap.

If one of those carbide ones snap, you might end up having to pull the head, you won't be able to drill it.

Looks like there is not enough room to mig weld a long bolt in there.

I wonder if @Trav has any advice here too.

If one of those carbide ones snap, you might end up having to pull the head, you won't be able to drill it.
I wonder how well these work:

Be careful with the spiral. I've had them snap will little warning. If they are carbide, they are hard but brittle, you won't feel them start to give just a sudden snap.

Looks like there is not enough room to mig weld a long bolt in there.

I wonder if @Trav has any advice here too.
That would not be good. I'm not sure what my spiral ones are made out of. I could not find a name on the kit. It has the five sizes of extractors and the drill bits if you have to drill a hole.

I had this happen with a Dodge Grand Caravan we got for my niece.

I had a square EZ out, tapered. I tapped it in, and it didn’t work. At first. Copious amount of PB Blaster, and patience, and wouldn’t you know, that thin metal thread came out.

In my case, the van was hit up front (the buyer tried to lie about it, but I showed him the CarFax; he stopped after that). The crash spewed coolant all over the engine and corroded the front plugs, this one badly.

The ones that are not spirals might work better and be less prone to snapping. My 2 cents.. 🙂

The ones that are not spirals might work better and be less prone to snapping. My 2 cents.. 🙂

I want a set of those....badly.

I want a set of those....badly.
I may have to lay out the long green for these… I prefer to have and not always need vs. needing, and waiting.

I had this happen with a Dodge Grand Caravan we got for my niece.

I had a square EZ out, tapered. I tapped it in, and it didn’t work. At first. Copious amount of PB Blaster, and patience, and wouldn’t you know, that thin metal thread came out.

In my case, the van was hit up front (the buyer tried to lie about it, but I showed him the CarFax; he stopped after that). The crash spewed coolant all over the engine and corroded the front plugs, this one badly.

My fiancé's dad has some of the square ones and thinks he has the size I need so I will go over tomorrow and get them and see what happens. I have rust penetrant sitting in the hole so maybe it will help some.

I think the plugs may have gotten stuck in there because some years ago she overheated the engine. We have two other Cavaliers of this vintage that have the same engine and I've never had one get stuck like this. I changed them about seven years ago and don't remember having any problems getting the other plugs out.

Back