Big green egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one?

What can you say to convince me that it's worth whatever probably ridiculous price it commands?

I only cook vegetables due to an (involuntary) dietary restriction, if that changes anything. I still end up doing better cooking than 98% of people who cook meat on a grill every other day anyway. I know how to move stuff around and find hot/cool spots or smoke things in a basic charcoal grill.

If I buy a big green egg is it really going to do anything for me that a probably $50 basic charcoal grill won't?

There are now other knock off Big Green Eggs out there. Might want to look into them for a lesser price. It is that nice thick ceramic shell that holds in the heat for a super long time that most people like. I like my Weber Bullet.

I wouldnt waste the money if you can only cook vegetables. A gas grill can cook vegetables most excelletly, and is a lot easier to use day in and day out.

I have a Weber Genesis gas grill and it was the absolute best $800 I have spent in my entire life. When it is time to rebuild it, I will rebuild it. And when it is time to replace it, I will buy another Weber Genesis to replace it. Fantastic grills. Everyone that has one loves them.

Their biggest claim to fame is holding the heat as Rat407 mentioned for cooking a lot of food, for veggies stick to your $50 gas grill.

Although I still have my Weber Kettle for cooking beer can chicken, yum!

if your veggie only - do not get one. They egg is great for smoking meat, grilling meat and all things meat. Veggies- it is probably overkill and not worth it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I wouldnt waste the money if you can only cook vegetables. A gas grill can cook vegetables most excelletly, and is a lot easier to use day in and day out.

I have a Weber Genesis gas grill and it was the absolute best $800 I have spent in my entire life. When it is time to rebuild it, I will rebuild it. And when it is time to replace it, I will buy another Weber Genesis to replace it. Fantastic grills. Everyone that has one loves them.

Gas grills are disgusting. Have you even tasted food that comes off of them? Tastes like methyl mercaptan

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Don't feed this troll.....

Don't waste valuable horse123 threadspace with your pointless posts...

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Gas grills are disgusting. Have you even tasted food that comes off of them? Tastes like methyl mercaptan

Sounds like someone doesn't know how to use one...I cook on one all the time and my food always comes out delicious!

I'm a charcoal guy through and through. If you're doing veggies it's probably best to stick with something like the weber kettle tbh. I can see where the egg would come in handy for long cooks such as pork butt, brisket, etc. I wouldn't think you would be leaving veggies on for hours on end. If you're dead set on a coal powered grill then I'd recommend the Weber Kettle for veggies. It's round and it'll give you enough room to sear over the coals and rake the coals to one side while cooking veggies (such as taters or corn) on the other. Basically gives you the option for direct and indirect grilling. You could also check out the barrel style grills (like the Oklahoma Joe but I seriously think that's overkill in this setup). Gas grills have their place also and I agree the flavor is not my cup of tea either. Gas grills are great for when you don't want to wait for the coals to heat up and have instant/exact control over your zone temperatures. Hope that helps! Happy grilling!

Last edited:
We love our BGE; it replaced a Vermont Castings gas grill and we have absolutely no regrets.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Burning charcoal is OK but clean burning propane is not? Um, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
We have reached a point for a Hank Hill quote.

119474-Hank-Hill-grilling-quote-qkbx.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back