Bicycle Maintenance

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
There should be one here.

I nominate @853okg to create a maintenance thread since this member has decades of professional experience in the field.

Last edited:
I don't ride a whole lot. Maybe 30 miles a week, two to three 10 to 15 mile rides or so. Often less, rarely more.
Visual brake inspection before every ride.
The chain gets wiped down after every ride and gets a fresh coat with Dummonde Tech every two weeks.
Tire pressure gets adjusted every two weeks.
I check the torque of all fasteners on my bike every 3 months. Axle nuts, rotor bolts, and stem bolts and some other fasteners see a torque wrench. I calibrate the shifter using the index marks. Some pivots get a drop of oil.
I wipe down the frame, wheels, and spokes as necessary to keep the bike reasonably clean
New batteries for the computer and sensor as needed
Bearings as needed

Last edited:
I'm generally o.k. as long as I keep my training wheels lubed.
1718972830703.jpeg

Visual brake inspection before every ride.
This for sure!!

I've been riding Rist Canyon Road lately getting ready for the Copper Triangle in early August. Rist Canyon Road is a Cat 1 climb and it's a Cat 1 decent. The braking is so heavy approaching the corners that the front tire becomes completely black, because of the wear caused by friction with the road. If you don't have excellent brakes, you are toast.

If we're sharing our bike histories...

I always loved bikes, both riding them and working on them. I started working in a bike shop in the 1980s as a teenager. I've always been mechanically inclined and taught myself to build wheels so it was a great job for me. The job spanned everything from resurrecting cheap old abused neglected customer bikes to building custom bikes and wheelsets for local racers.
Around that time I got serious about cycling, mostly longer rides 50-100 miles. My first "real" bike was a Vitus 979 with Campy super record that I bought used just before college. I built new wheels for it (bladed spokes, Mavic G40 clinchers) and it served me well for several years riding with my university's cycling team.
After college I got into mountain biking. Super fun though I still enjoy road biking too.
Later I got a tandem to ride with my wife, and occasionally with friends. Tandems are more than twice as fun and we've put thousands of miles on that bike.
I bike about 100-200 miles per week across various bikes and enjoy doing ultra endurance rides like La Ruta, WRIAD, and the OTGG. Not for race or time, but just for the personal challenge of completing them.

I keep my bikes about like one would expect from a lifetime mechanic. Before each ride, my pre-ride inspection is simple: ensure wheels are secure, check tire pressures and brakes. I maintain everything else on a schedule based on miles & calendar. I clean the drivetrain once a month (road bike) or on condition (mountain bike). A clean drivetrain lasts longer and is more efficient. Brakes, bearings, etc. as needed.

Been riding my whole life, had a small shop for a while. Built wheels etc won't bore ya'll with details. All mountain bike now on real trails around prescott az. Today's drive train stuff and components are so good I've gotten slack on routine preventative maintenance.. haven't had a headset, bottom bracket or pivots need adjusted or replaced in a decade at least. Tires, brake pads, and drive train replace when needed. Bleed brakes just to feel good about them. Made 1 rear mech adjustment on each of 3 bikes with 1x drive trains. Had shifting get sloppy on current bike discovered loose hanger bolt. Duh it hasn't been checked since day one full bike check because nothing ever comes loose and I ride 2000-2500 miles a year offroad on rocky dusty steep trails. Amazing.

Can recommend Rock n Roll Gold chain lube for dry conditions.

Why do we need a sub forum? This forum is fine for bicycle questions.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I enjoy the automotive maintenance sub-forum, a sort of show and tell.

Today I installed a Shimano Altus rear derailleur. I recently installed a 12-32 Tourney cassette replacing the factory 11-28 cassette and I needed a derailleur speced for 32+

20240624_182338.jpg

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I enjoy the automotive maintenance sub-forum, a sort of show and tell.

Today I installed a Shimano Altus rear derailleur. I recently installed a 12-32 Tourney cassette replacing the factory 11-28 cassette and I needed a derailleur speced for 32+
I've found that Shimano's limitations are just a bit conservative. The rear derailleurs work with cassettes 2 teeth bigger than max, and the front chainrings can differ by 2 teeth more than spec. For example the 11-speed Ultegra & Dura Ace say front either 34-50 or 36-52, but 34-52 works perfectly.

You made a 4-tooth change, so it was prudent to get a longer cage derailleur.

Back