BG EPR 109 observations

Trying to see if BG's Engine Power Restorer will do anything for a 2013 Equinox. The Ecotec 2.4 drinks down oil at about 1 quart/1500 miles at 77,000 miles. Dealer won't help even though we have the letter saying we may be eligible for the piston ring service if we have excessive oil consumption.

Out: Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w-30, about 4,000 miles. Although the consumption went down some after a steady diet of Valvoline full synthetic, it would still drop at a pretty good clip.

In: PYB 5w-30, one can of BG EPR and new oil filter. Ran it for 15 minutes after the temperature gauge reached normal. Kept an eye on the oil pressure light and kept an ear out for strange noises in case it worked a little too well and dislodged something significant.

Observations: After less than 20 minutes total, what came out was BLACK. Not just discolored, BLACK. When I pulled the oil filter, I noticed the oil filter housing was clean and shiny, something I've never seen since it usually had a film of darkened oil coating it. The oil filter didn't have any notable chunks or flakes of sludge in it. The hot oil laced with EPR certainly had a noticeable odor about it.

Any idea what the plastic disk in the EPR can is for?

Will change again in 3,000 and see how the oil consumption does in the meantime.

Sorry, misread your initial message and thought you've left it in.
When I used it, the oil came out pitch black too

Trying to see if BG's Engine Power Restorer will do anything for a 2013 Equinox. The Ecotec 2.4 drinks down oil at about 1 quart/1500 miles at 77,000 miles. Dealer won't help even though we have the letter saying we may be eligible for the piston ring service if we have excessive oil consumption.

Out: Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w-30, about 4,000 miles. Although the consumption went down some after a steady diet of Valvoline full synthetic, it would still drop at a pretty good clip.

In: PYB 5w-30, one can of BG EPR and new oil filter. Ran it for 15 minutes after the temperature gauge reached normal. Kept an eye on the oil pressure light and kept an ear out for strange noises in case it worked a little too well and dislodged something significant.

Observations: After less than 20 minutes total, what came out was BLACK. Not just discolored, BLACK. When I pulled the oil filter, I noticed the oil filter housing was clean and shiny, something I've never seen since it usually had a film of darkened oil coating it. The oil filter didn't have any notable chunks or flakes of sludge in it. The hot oil laced with EPR certainly had a noticeable odor about it.

Any idea what the plastic disk in the EPR can is for?

Will change again in 3,000 and see how the oil consumption does in the meantime.
The plastic disc is to show you that EPR does not damage seals.

Thats stuff is the bees knees..........
I have used it on an oil drinking audi......I did 2 EPR treatments - - - about a few hundred kms apart.

it really works to clean the rings and internals - - - like nothing else I have used.

great stuff.

Actually...The plastic disc is to give to the BG guy for your monetary spiff

worked with BG before and the techs save all the discs for the BG guy for cash. Other companies use stickers (valvoline) or small pieces of paper (wynns) they are all for techs at shops as incentive to move product

I thought it was to help agitate during the shake up prior to using. Used to get the hi lo 30 for free back in the day when I was at the 67042. It was okay oil, but I think if you keep top quality filters on and don't completely destroy or abuse an oil you won't need their additives.

Checking in at 1000 miles. Checked the oil today, and not only is it still golden, but the level has no noticeable change. Maybe this stuff really did work some magic and it was just some stuck rings. Will keep checking until the next oil change, but since it was using about 1 quart every 2000 miles, I say it must have helped.

That stuff is amazing. I used it in a family members 1998 Lumina that was a spare car which got driven maybe 500 miles a year. It had developed a pretty loud top end noise because we never changed the oil for about 5 years. I ran a can of EPR, changed the oil and the noise was totally gone and stayed gone until the car got towed away about 2 years later.

You might need 2 treatments if your rings are badly gummed up.
Do them a few hundred miles apart.

Back