BG and Suzuki Team Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Suzuki and BG: Strange Bedfellows?
By Nancy DeMarco

American Suzuki Motor Corp. and aftermarket additive supplier BG Products have inked an agreement under which BG will have “exclusive vendor” status to supply American Suzuki dealers with fluid products, related equipment and training.

Asked the company’s position on use of aftermarket lubricant and fuel additives, American Suzuki attorney Terrence Huang told Lube Report, “We don’t endorse any aftermarket additives.”

He continued, “In light of the [1996] Slick 50 complaint by the Federal Trade Commission, corporate legal recommends that American Suzuki Motor Corp. should not endorse any BG Products in advertising. Moreover, an endorsement of a particular BG product, i.e. engine or transmission additive, might expose ASMC to false advertisement claims made by BG Products.”

But others at American Suzuki, the Brea, Calif.-based U.S. subsidiary of Japanese automaker Suzuki, take a different view.

“There are circumstances in which the consumer will receive benefits from aftermarket additives,” Dennis Blough, American Suzuki’s senior manager, technical quality, told Lube Report. “Profit is not the primary driving force, but it’s a target. Frankly, the primary goal is vehicle durability and customer satisfaction.”

Suzuki owners’ manuals recommend only the use of API-licensed motor oils and are silent on the question of aftermarket oil additives, Blough said. According to the American Petroleum Institute web site, BG Products has no API-licensed motor oils.

Under the one-year agreement, BG’s network of sales representatives will promote BG’s products to the 400 Suzuki automotive dealers in the U.S. “We have 900 sales reps around the country, our distributor network, and they will implement the program,” BG Products President Darin Greseth told Lube Report. “The goal is to provide better service and longer [vehicle] life through our maintenance programs.

“We are excited to have this relationship with Suzuki.”

Purchase of BG products is encouraged by American Suzuki, but is voluntary for its dealers, Dennis Blough said. “Pricing is national-level. Each [Suzuki] dealer will receive the same price for the products bought from BG.” Suzuki dealers are all independent business owners, and set the retail prices for the products they resell to consumers, although BG has suggested retail prices, Blough added.

Asked about BG’s “exclusive vendor” status, Blough paused. “They are a recommended vendor,” he replied. “Our Parts and Accessories Division does have relationships with other chemical providers.”

BG Products, based in Wichita, Kan., supplies a wide range of aftermarket additives for lubricants, fuel, and transmissions, described as enhancers, treatments, flushes, cleaners, concentrates, conditioners, restorers, superchargers, etc. It also supplies formulated passenger car and heavy duty engine oils, “universal” transmission fluid, greases, and a variety of fluid-exchange and other equipment.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001768379.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Not sure what to think of this. Desperate moves by a desperate automaker? Let's rip-off customers together?

35.gif

Additives are not necessarily bad. While I rarely use any, they have there purposes, especially for neglect or abuse situations. When used correctly, They are NOT a rip-off.

I liked this part. Looks like one of their lead attorneys does not agree with this move.

Asked the company’s position on use of aftermarket lubricant and fuel additives, American Suzuki attorney Terrence Huang told Lube Report, “We don’t endorse any aftermarket additives.”

He continued, “In light of the [1996] Slick 50 complaint by the Federal Trade Commission, corporate legal recommends that American Suzuki Motor Corp. should not endorse any BG Products in advertising. Moreover, an endorsement of a particular BG product, i.e. engine or transmission additive, might expose ASMC to false advertisement claims made by BG Products.”

Put all the position statements aside that attorneys need to protect the interests of the company, this relationship is certainly unique and states to me that OEM companies(at least Suzuki so far) don't look at BG as an additive company but a maintenance service solution partner. BG disrupts the normal cycle of things because people stay in their cars longer and isn't it amazing that after the warranty expires the breakdowns start to happen. OEM companies engineer it this way, BG is the ONLY company that backs up their products with a Lifetime...that's right Lifetime Protection Plan. If you do the math that is significant money in every consumer's pocket that wants to keep their vehicle in the best operating condition over the life of the vehicle. Watch out..BG is a force to be partners with.

Suzuki is far from being a desperate automaker. They are THE force in Japan are rising fast in the USA. The new Kazashi kicks tail and though I am Honda and Toyota through and through, this car whips them both easily. Suzuki desperate? Hardly. Government Motors wishes they had the cash Suzuki has just for their sushi bills. BG products are not even in the same league with China-Mart products such as MMO,Risolene,MotorHoney,ect.

The local Suzuki dealership folded and now the property is a car wash.

The nearest Suzuki dealership is now 24 miles away (and it ain't in the direction of the "big city"). The next closest one is 28 miles and the next one after that is 35 miles.

By way of comparison, within 24 miles from here there are no less than 11 Ford dealers.

Originally Posted By: reggie88
Put all the position statements aside that attorneys need to protect the interests of the company, this relationship is certainly unique and states to me that OEM companies(at least Suzuki so far) don't look at BG as an additive company but a maintenance service solution partner. BG disrupts the normal cycle of things because people stay in their cars longer and isn't it amazing that after the warranty expires the breakdowns start to happen. OEM companies engineer it this way, BG is the ONLY company that backs up their products with a Lifetime...that's right Lifetime Protection Plan. If you do the math that is significant money in every consumer's pocket that wants to keep their vehicle in the best operating condition over the life of the vehicle. Watch out..BG is a force to be partners with.

It doesn't take a genius to add two plus two and deduce that you are affiliated with BG Products, Inc., coincidentally headquartered in Wichita, KS..

How does this work? Do company routine employ people to monitor web pages and see if their company is being mentioned and then pounce as soon as they see a reference?

I mean, there are jobs out there where your job is to surf? :)

- Vikas

P.S. Waiting for Suzuki troll to chime in :)

Last edited:
BG disrupts the normal cycle of things because people stay in their cars longer...

I'd like to see the independent research on this.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The local Suzuki dealership folded and now the property is a car wash.

The nearest Suzuki dealership is now 24 miles away (and it ain't in the direction of the "big city"). The next closest one is 28 miles and the next one after that is 35 miles.

By way of comparison, within 24 miles from here there are no less than 11 Ford dealers.

Duhhh. Ford has been selling cars here since the A-Model.

My saturn dealer already found a way to get oil and fuel additives. I think they're even BG branded.

Would find it amusing for existing Zook dealers to suddenly get one brand shoved down their throats. Those that already (up)sell additives would wonder why Suzuki USA is late to the party, and the rest will buy the intro pack and let it sit on the shelf.

We have a suzuki dealer here that sells the full line... motorcycles, ATVs, I think motorboat engines, and, tada, cars. Not sure about how that helps credibility.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

It doesn't take a genius to add two plus two and deduce that you are affiliated with BG Products, Inc., coincidentally headquartered in Wichita, KS..

Nothing wrong with that. BG makes some excellent products and personally would welcome someone from BG to join the site and have BG as a sponsor. I personally like the way they market their products and hope to never see them in the "Mart". I am fortunate that the local BG distributor rep for my area just lives 3-miles away. When I need a fix he is just a phone call away.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic

I threw that in to show you that Manassas, VA is not "the middle of nowhere", in case that might be the impression you have. I don't expect that you're familiar with the area.

I don't think there's anything Suzuki makes that's worth driving 24 miles for, but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: Mokanic

I threw that in to show you that Manassas, VA is not "the middle of nowhere", in case that might be the impression you have. I don't expect that you're familiar with the area.

I don't think there's anything Suzuki makes that's worth driving 24 miles for, but that's just me.

About three hours from me. That's fine about Suzuki. I feel pretty much the same about a Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back