BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 initial impressions

Some truck forums whine on about K02's sucking in the rain. I have not found this to be the case at all. Mud, rocks, floods, gravel, wet, dry, freeway, driveway - mine have been great for 3 years.
Agree - mine see rain often - in fact I’ll chase rain if the underside needs flushing - no complaints - they have a fair amount of void space and might not always be compared to something similar

Anything is better than a Goodyear. Never understood why so many of the trucks come with Goodyear Wrangler. My buddy just put these tires on his 1986 Bronco II he said it’s like riding on clouds. Amazingly the tires he took off from 1993 didn’t blow up haha. They were dry rotted so bad they kept loosing air towards the end. His are LT235/75R15 I ordered them for him thru my work to get a discount.
Stock tires and Kevlar Wranglers are two different animals …

Anything is better than a Goodyear. Never understood why so many of the trucks come with Goodyear Wrangler. My buddy just put these tires on his 1986 Bronco II he said it’s like riding on clouds. Amazingly the tires he took off from 1993 didn’t blow up haha. They were dry rotted so bad they kept loosing air towards the end. His are LT235/75R15 I ordered them for him thru my work to get a discount.
I’d disagree. I couldn’t wait to get my Cooper AT’s off of my previous F150. Sounded like a mud tire traction of a racing slick. They were decent on dry pavement and probably would have lasted 50k fairly easily.

I replaced them with some Wrangler Silent Armors and was pleased with those for a mild all terrain.

Great tire if you run off-road on occasion. If the truck is highway only, you would probably do better with a real set of snow tires in the winter and a touring/highway tire the rest of the time.

As for OEM tires being terrible, that is definitely the case with the Firestones that came on my Ram 2500.

I’d disagree. I couldn’t wait to get my Cooper AT’s off of my previous F150. Sounded like a mud tire traction of a racing slick. They were decent on dry pavement and probably would have lasted 50k fairly easily.

I replaced them with some Wrangler Silent Armors and was pleased with those for a mild all terrain.
Cooper are generally noisy. I know my Cooper Evolution are but they actually don’t bother me cause I find road noise peaceful for the most part lol. I’m glad you have had good luck with Goodyear. My experience is not the only reason I would avoid them.

toyo open country AT III are much lighter and dont give up any grip.. if you are looking for something daily driver without the LT tire disadvantages.

opat3-right.jpg

Cooper are generally noisy. I know my Cooper Evolution are but they actually don’t bother me cause I find road noise peaceful for the most part lol. I’m glad you have had good luck with Goodyear. My experience is not the only reason I would avoid them.

The best comparison I can draw to Goodyear is Bushnell scopes. They both make some really good products. Goodyear’s Assurance all season and Wrangler AT adventure tend to be very good as does Bushnell’s Banner 2 scope.

They’re most well known for their junk though. Like those awful Wrangler SR-A that came OE on many F series and the Viva 3 that Walmart churns out bu the thousands. Bushnell has their $30 bottom shelf Walmart and Bass Pro scopes that are awful.

toyo open country AT III are much lighter and dont give up any grip.. if you are looking for something daily driver without the LT tire disadvantages.

opat3-right.jpg
What disadvantages? So far I’m really liking the KO2’s, I actually like the way it rides and everything… so far I like them so much I wish I could put a set on the minivan!

opat3-right.jpg
Toyo OC CTs and some sizes in AT IIIs are sold out in western Canada. Nitto EXOs are my go-to tire. I just studded a set of 295/55/20s I bought last year. I'm riding on 285/75/18 AT IIs until the snow hits.
edit; There was a nice set of 35/13.50/20 AT IIIs at the tire store today. Very tempting.

What disadvantages? So far I’m really liking the KO2’s, I actually like the way it rides and everything… so far I like them so much I wish I could put a set on the minivan!
Friend had set made in 2020. They relatively early started to loose wet grip ( compared to my Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx) on a similar truck as mine. Hope that isn't generally the case and more truck related.

Not in any particular order.
MPG, Ride, Handling, Wet traction, acceleration, and stopping.

I'm on my second set of cooper's. First were at3 6 years ago. I replaced them with cooper at from Walmart. Same exact tread. I'm happy, yes a little noise

Not in any particular order.
MPG, Ride, Handling, Wet traction, acceleration, and stopping.
I’m down 1-1.5mpg vs the old tires, the ride is slightly firmer as I went from a P metric to a C (I don’t need E’s) but it’s still nice and smooth even when it’s just me in the truck. According to tireracks testing I gave up about 35ft in wet braking and 15ft in dry braking distance vs the Continental TerrainContact H/T (the best on that test). But I gained 17ft of acceleration in snow (important as I have to left turn from a side road onto a busy main road) and 10ft on ice.

Plus these look cool!

When I was an auto technician I would drive many trucks and suv's with K02's. I live in IA and our weather patterns are interesting to say the least. I noticed the K02's were great when new, but after some miles are put on them they seemed to degrade pretty quickly. I have noticed wet traction is sub par on many of the vehicles I drove with them. Where they really suffer is cold temps. We often see temps in the single digits and below 0F for weeks at a time. The K02 becomes rock hard in those temps and they do not grip well no matter the temp in my experience, even low mileage.

It makes me wonder if extreme cold to 90F+ summer temps also has an affect on the tire compound? Most of the people I've seen complain about wet traction seem to live in areas that have climates like mine. People who live in areas where it is more consistent and mild seem to not have an issue.

I have K02's on a 2016 Jeep Wrangler and a 2015 F150 King Ranch and have about 30k on the Jeep and 20k on the F150. Both of them 315/70-17 113 the Raptor spec. They have been flawless. The Jeep has been to Moab and Colorado, 13 different Jeep badge of honor trails with them on it no complaints still going, I would suspect they will go 50k on the Jeep. They Wrangler has had a very difficult life for the tires no punctures, the sidewalls have a few rips I guess where the rubber coating has torn but the actual ply side walls have not. On the F150 they are wonderful quiet, confident and excellent in all weather conditions. My wife is very confident driving the truck with these tires in the snow she says it's no drama mama. I just put the BFG Trail-Terrains on the GX 460 we will see how they perform. Wanted to try something different not so aggressive.

Lots of rain today and they were great, even in standing water. Previous tires would spin at 30 if I stepped on it, these just grip and go.

Figured I’d update this with my winter weather impressions… this truck is now a frickin tank! I got out of my uphill driveway onto an unplowed road with no issues!
C93E1DE9-B9F8-4427-9C83-4263629C843B.jpeg

Back