better filter than Motorcraft FL 820-s ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Motorcraft filter has above average flow. Fram's filters have some of the worst flow, plus the least amount of media.

-T

My 4.0 SOHC Ranger takes an 820-S. I have a UOA posted with M1 0w-30 and a K&N that wasn't all that great, but it was a hard winter and the oil got beat on pretty good. Soon I will have a UOA with M1 5w-30 and an M1 filter that I will post. The UOA's I posted from my wife's GM car comparing K&N and M1 filters with the same M1 oil were nearly identical. Next time I'm going back to Motorcraft.

BTT. New Ford owner here, 5.4 Flex Fuel V-8.

I found this list on an F150 site.

larger oil filters to replace the motorcraft fl820s
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil and Lubrication > larger oil filters to replace the motorcraft fl820s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Original Thread: larger oil filters to replace the motorcraft fl820s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

boxcar_tommie22
here is a list of lager oil filters to replace the fl820s providing you have enough room..these filters range from 5.2" high to 5.6"..i use these on my 98 5.4 expy. and 98 lincoln continental:all of these have a superb flow and very low restriction...i choose to use fleetguard, baldwin and wix..

BALDWIN B281

NAPA 551087 or1087 NAPA HAD IT IN ITS WAREHOUSE

WIX 51087

FLEETGUARD LF3315

HASTINGS LF444

CARQUEST 85592

PUROLATOR L30238

CATIPILLAR 311604

FRAM PH3616

I've tried 'em all on my Police Interceptor. The Motorcraft is very good. The K&N is touted as a true racing filter, so I would be inclined to believe it has a higher flow rate. It's expensive, but along with the Mobil 1 built like a tank. If canister strength matters to you, the K&N is more robust than the Motorcraft.

Truth be known, aside from ther Fram, you could close your eyes and pick any number of filters, and be just fine.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
The Motorcraft filter has above average flow. Fram's filters have some of the worst flow, plus the least amount of media.

-T

Can you say for sure that the benched numbers are applicable to the real world environment inside of your engine?
I highly doubt that.
I believe that the flow ratings are truly useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back