Best way to waterproof leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a pair of new boots over the past weekend, a pair of Blundstones - which were sold out most places I checked. I want to waterproof the leather - some said mink oil, one suggested Huberd’s Shoe Grease, one more suggested beeswax. The boots are black.

What should I use?

None of them work for long. I used to use a silicone spray, since I wanted to preserve the breathability of the leather. It was pretty good for about a half hour in the wet.
Your best bet is to let them dry and use something that will help the leather maintaine its natural waterproofing. Don't expect miracles.

Your best bet is to let them dry and use something that will help the leather maintaine its natural waterproofing. Don't expect miracles.
that’s the goal - maintain and provide a little margin of protection.

I read mink oil is counter-intuitive for protecting leather - since the leather drying/tanning process takes out the fats that were in the hides.

If I want waterproof, I wear rubber boots.

Just my two cents. There are lots of controversial aspects about this. I "read" that it is undesirable to clog ALL the leather pores in an attempt to get 100% water proofness. I read that some products are bad for leather and/or the stitching. Is mink oil and other things like "Bear Grease" just marketing and don't reflect the ingredients? I had numerous boots crack (leather) using SnoSeal. Someone told me SnowSeal is simply wax thinned with mineral spirits.......i.e., no conditioners. True/false, who knows: https://www.cfd.coop/msds/1791333, 1791330 20151208 Atsko SNO-SEAL USA.pdf

On my workboots, I choose to use Obenauf's. It does not waterproof entirely. It claims to have conditioners. White's boots recommends their re-labeled Obenaufs as "best" for their $400+ custom work boots. My logic is "if it's good enough for Whites............."

In the end, it seems that one's choice is based on which "kool aid" you drink/believe. Good luck.

Last edited:
The best I've ever used is Sno Seal I got at an Ace Hardware. But I followed the directions about heating the boots to make it work better.

My father used this stuff in the army during WW2 and always said it was the best for boots. Lots of soldiers used it.

1640032076716.jpg

I still use mink oil on a pair of Redwing boots I have had for 20 years. It does keep the leather pliable and provides some water proofing but they are a natural leather. If they were Black I would just use a decent shoe wax. Warm the wax, rub it in and then finish with a dampened rag (spit shine). Its the way they taught me in Basic Training and I dont remember my boots getting wet from the outside. Nothing really helps when the water is over the tops though.

Depending on the leather used, maybe none! I use to climb Ice with LaSportiva footwear and the leather was not something you needed to apply coatings to. I would ask the bootmaker to ensure you use the correct product if something is needed.

NEETSFORD OIL
I assume you mean Neatsfoot oil . Do NOT use that on boots . It will soften the leather and they will lose their shape . Especially around the heel area . Been there , done that .

If I want waterproof, I wear rubber boots.

Just my two cents. There are lots of controversial aspects about this. I "read" that it is undesirable to clog ALL the leather pores in an attempt to get 100% water proofness. I read that some products are bad for leather and/or the stitching. Is mink oil and other things like "Bear Grease" just marketing and don't reflect the ingredients? I had numerous boots crack (leather) using SnoSeal. Someone told me SnowSeal is simply wax thinned with mineral spirits.......i.e., no conditioners. True/false, who knows: https://www.cfd.coop/msds/1791333, 1791330 20151208 Atsko SNO-SEAL USA.pdf

On my workboots, I choose to use Obenauf's. It does not waterproof entirely. It claims to have conditioners. White's boots recommends their re-labeled Obenaufs as "best" for their $400+ custom work boots. My logic is "if it's good enough for Whites............."

In the end, it seems that one's choice is based on which "kool aid" you drink/believe. Good luck.
I had a pair of rubber Chelsea boots that were fantastic wet but cracked. I’ll have to fix them again.

Yea, I’ve done my research and it seems like the beeswax-based products(Sno-Seal/Obenauf’s/Huberd’s) were better than mink oil. I have a can of the stuff on the way.

I'd think also putting any kind of dressing on leather shoes would make them attract a ton of dirt.

Way back when we used Huberds shoe grease. In those days the soles were stitched on and we would use a old toothbrush and apply the grease on the stitching. That was pretty much it.

The usual way is not to waterproof the leather, but to use a breathable membrane liner. I've had various trail runners and hiking shoes with Gore-Tex and there are some imitators that can operate since the Gore-Tex patent has long expired. I think waxing was mentioned, but waxing to the point where it completely blocks out water is just going to turn your foot into a sauna. Might as well wear rubber boots.

But if you're just hoping that it will repel as much water as possible before it eventually lets in water, I think Nikwax (made in England) makes good waterproofing products. I've used their wash-in treatments for outdoor clothing to restore water repellency. Whatever they use has a fairly unique smell. I can't really describe it other than that I've used several of their products and they all have that odor. It's not really wax but some sort of polymer water repellant substance that still allows breathing.

I wouldn't buy it from Amazon since the price is higher, but their sales copy specifically mentions Blundstone.

• Ideal for smooth leather footwear and gloves such as GORE-TEX, Hestra and Kinco gloves, and Blundstone boots

They also have a spray.

Nikwax shows a pair of hiking boots that had to be cleaned and then renewed with their waterproofing wax. The one on the left hasn't been treated yet.

LB9-768x1024.jpg

I used campdry for leather on my boots distressed leather Justin boots that I had made in 1996. Still have them, still wear them. They have been resoled several time, but these where on of the last gifts from my mom before she died so I'd wear them even if they looked like don johnsons boots in Marlboro Man and Harley Davidson.

You know, thinking about this a bit more, what about trying one of the new HYDROPHBIC compounds?
I used to have pretty fair results with silicone spray, but these days we have the new "CERAMIC" stuff that is used on car finishes.
If anyone decides to market one of these products for leather, I wouldn't mind getting a little "reward". It just seems to me that it "might" not build up on the boot, retaining the breathability of the leather much better than any wax or grease.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back