Best Way To Utilize 5 Gallon Oil Jug

Gonna get me some HPL in a 5 Gal jug. Does it have a spout? What do you use to measure your oil? Do you use your wife's Tupperware/Pyrex kitchen ware? Do you dip or pour?

I guess, what I want to know is what pieces of "equipment" you use you get the oil from the 5 gal HPL container to your engine funnel? I got the
walking part from the jug to the car down pretty good. And I got the pouring part at the engine down. So from the middle part to the end part I'm feeling it. I just needing wisdom on how to get the oil out of the jug into the container to carry to the car.

Man, have I set my self up for some forum abuse. LOL....I can take it.

I keep an empty 5qt oil jug and fill it and then pour from the jug to the vehicle but then again I am using those oil boxes which have the built in dispensor.

be a real man and pour straight from the bucket into the fill cap without a funnel
or be smart and save a standard 5qt jug to use

the pumps can be somewhat messy, they like to drip everywhere

I’m starting to not feel the 5 gal purchase would be the best decision for me.
Not to dissuade you from the 5 gal purchase, but @High Performance Lubricants actively promotes buying the smallest container that will satisfy the job requirements. While this does add some cost because of the additional containers to hold your quantity of new oil, it makes a lot of sense for multiple reasons:

1. The smallest container is always the easiest to handle and use.

2. Getting as close to the exact amount required not only reduces waste, but also helps prevent contaminating your remaining good supply.

3. Any time an engine oil is pumped through/poured/transferred, the amount of anti-foam additive is impacted. Having just a single transfer from HPL’s container into your sump helps ensure you get EXACTLY the protection and performance you’re paying for.

IMO, pails for automotive use only make sense for full transmission fluid replacements; “most” engine oils would be best served by a combination of one gallon jugs and quarts.

While I understand why HPL offers the volumes & quantities they do (to fit the smallest boxes possible for economical shipping), I do wish at least for BITOG they would offer the 1 gal plus X number of quarts at the same volume rate as the gallons, but with the additional cost of of the quart containers figured in so everyone is best off. I’m sure with the generous discount they’ve extended to the board, the price is as good as you can find for the quality that HPL delivers.

Remember though, that HPL is a majority “just-in-time” blender (they do not keep endless shelves full of product in their warehouse) to ensure minimal overhead on their end and never any outdated product formulations on the shelf, so mixing up very small quantities for size + quantities other than what’s on their site would become uneconomical and cumbersome VERY quickly.

3. Any time an engine oil is pumped through/poured/transferred, the amount of anti-foam additive is impacted. Having just a single transfer from HPL’s container into your sump helps ensure you get EXACTLY the protection and performance you’re paying for.
Huh?

Dangit, now you’ve got me questioning myself… I had some chats with Dave & Mike from HPL a while back about greases & oils, and there were a couple things they told me that I had never known.

One was that pumping greases even in short lines separates the lubricating oil from the carrier, such that a “plug” of grease forms in even short lines that will only get worse over time.

The second was related to the repeated transfer of finished oils and that it impacted the anti-foaming properties of an oil, and that HPL blends accordingly to account for this in their process, and that’s why they recommend transfer directly from their container into the equipment. I believe that was related to the sodium content but now I need to follow up, unless someone here that knows what I’m referencing can confirm… maybe @Foxtrot08 since it seems he knows his way around the process as well.

Sorry for the (apparent) confusion… sometimes posting well after midnight is not the best idea for clarity 🤣

In case someone is misreading my earlier post, I have decided to not purchase the 5 gal jugs. I am going with the gallon containers. Thanks for your advice.

Dangit, now you’ve got me questioning myself… I had some chats with Dave & Mike from HPL a while back about greases & oils, and there were a couple things they told me that I had never known.

One was that pumping greases even in short lines separates the lubricating oil from the carrier, such that a “plug” of grease forms in even short lines that will only get worse over time.

The second was related to the repeated transfer of finished oils and that it impacted the anti-foaming properties of an oil, and that HPL blends accordingly to account for this in their process, and that’s why they recommend transfer directly from their container into the equipment. I believe that was related to the sodium content but now I need to follow up, unless someone here that knows what I’m referencing can confirm… maybe @Foxtrot08 since it seems he knows his way around the process as well.

Sorry for the (apparent) confusion… sometimes posting well after midnight is not the best idea for clarity 🤣
I think I understand the logic.

How long is the 5 gallons going to sit before it's used? Is it worth buying 5 gallons if it's going to take 5 years just to save a few dollars.

If I bought 5 gallons for my upcoming oil change, I'd use almost 2 right away, then 2 in 5-6 months and then have to get another 5 gallon in 5-6 months, so I could probably make a use case for it, but then there's the PITA of a 5 gallon bucket, all for an extra buck a quart savings.

Kerosene pump,
into a one or two quart pitcher,
or reuse an empty 4 or 5 quart oil container…

FWIW, I bought one of these pumps a few years back and it wouldn't pump 15w40 HDEO. It might pump thinner oil but not the oil I needed for my Ram Cummins truck.

@Gebo what about something like this from F&F?

Just my $0.02

Back