Best way to transport freezer in Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 13.7 cubic foot upright freezer for in store pickup at Sears. I was too cheap to pay the 69 dollar delivery charge so opted for in store pickup even though I don't know if the Subaru can handle this.

Here are the options I am thinking of:

A. Remove the thing from the box and see if it will fit with the rear seat down and hatch opened.

B. Put my trailer cargo hitch carrier on which is 60" x 20 x 6" and stand it upright in the box and tie it down good.

c. Throw it on the roof rack cross bars and tie it down.

d. Quit being a cheapskate and pay the delivery charge.

The store is about 1 mile away so I wont be going fast or transporting it far. ALl opinions welcomed.

e. Call your alcoholic co-worker who owns a pickup and have him deliver it to your house. Give him a six-pack of PBR.

Actually, I bet "a" would work. I seem to remember doing something like that 25 years ago when I owned a Datsun 210 and I bought a 25" TV from a big box store.

Think about what could break if you did A or C. Can it be fixed for $69. Inside your car is sure to scratch your freezer and car.

Can the cargo hitch handle the weight? If so thats a option assuming the freezer is less than 20" front to back.

I just had a snowblower roll backwards and the handles broke the glass in the cap door. I could have done it better but took the quick and easy way to move the snowblower.

Borrow a trailer or find a friend with a pickup.

Quit being a cheap skate and pay the $69. If they damage something, they would be held accountable. Take this from a life long cheap skate. 7 times out of 10, when I try to cheap out on something, it costs me more in the long run.

Option D. If you damage the freezer or your car, it probably will cost more than $69. to repair. Or, wait until Lowes runs a sale in which FREE delivery is offered and buy it then (or I negotiate it in the sale,) that's what I do

Are you thinking of laying it down? If so that's a fast way to damage it. It's gotta stay upright.if you lay it down the oil in the compressor will drain onto the lines and starve the compressor of oil.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Nothing wrong being frugal but, in this case either get a friend with a pickup or pay the $69.

+1

I just picked up a 5 cu.ft freezer with the box they are quite large. As the get bigger they do get heavier. Freezers also clearly state to transport in an upright position, not standing on end or laying flat. They state do not tilt greater then 45 degrees.

Just picked up a 17 cu.fu. fridge last month with an 02 Forester. Just put down the seat, tie the hatch down snug and off you go (no box). When you get it installed wait for 30mins or so to make sure the compressor oil has settled before starting it up.

The cardboard can make a nice surface to slide on though, so bring a cutting knife along if you want.

What year is the Forester? I'm not sure if the design has changed in the last two versions that would reduce the carrying capacity.

That's not being cheap... paying $70 bucks for delivery is a rip. Throw it on the roof rack cross bars and tie it down.

Thanks for the advice guys. I played it safe and got it delivered. I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with it during the holidays.

The interesting thing is that I purchased it online at an "on-sale" price. The "on sale" price in the store was $50 more than the online price. I found a valid coupon code online that took an additional $35 off. I got a pretty good deal on it, but would have been better if I was able to transport it myself. The difference in buying it online vs store was nearly $100 for a product that cost less than $500.

Last edited:
Tie it on a skateboard and wheel it home.
If you average only 1 mile per hour, and you live one mile away, you will save yourself $69 which is the same as earning $69 per hour Tax Free!

Not shoddy!

go to home depot or lowes and rent their truck for $20 and hour or so, pickup your fridge and drop it off,
have wife/gf buy it for you and be ready for pickup at sears to save time.

If you lay it down, be sure to let it stand upright for at least 24 hours before you plug it in. Measure the size of the opening you want to try to squeeze it into, you may find it won't fit snyhow. Find a local BITOGer to help & give him some free oil for helping!

And your average new freezer isn't going to weigh more than 200 or so pounds anyway, so the weight isn't going to be the problem-but will it fit & can it be secured in your Subaru?

Originally Posted By: Joe1
Thanks for the advice guys. I played it safe and got it delivered. I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with it during the holidays.

I support your decision. Sometimes you can be tempted by what my grandmother called "false economy." Occasionally, it's OK to think like a rich person. After all, we are some of the richest people in the world. How often do you buy such things? Will the delivery charge break you, or are you just playing the "cheapo" game?

I would go with the hitch shelf gizmo. Freezers are usually very bottom heavy. Strap it up good, of course, being mindful of your tail lights and rear window.

Think of how many pickup truck drivers haul air 361 days a year just to save $69 from sears a few times a year? Meanwhile they're paying all that extra for gas, tires, insurance...

If horror freight still has the 20% off coupon, you can get a basic trailer from them for $140 ish. I have one and they are as good as your workmanship (particularly woodworking) can make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back