best way to bleed cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger
The best way is to use a Coolant Refiller that draws a vacuum on the system.....Bleeding is usually not needed at all using this tool.

Do these refillers require anything else or are they standalone units? I just looked at a few and couldn't tell how it worked lol, other than sticking on a radiator and putting a hose in coolant

Originally Posted by eljefino
The right answer is following the manufacturers directions.

If I get a stubborn one, I disconnect the top radiator hose at the rad, hold it high, and pour coolant into it until it dribbles out the radiator nipple. Takes a long torturous journey through the engine and water pump before it gets out that way, and the added height adds pressure to force it through.

I try to follow whenever possible. But some cars and some times I cannot find a specific procedure for the car, so I would assume the universal way would be most time efficient

I have a 2010 Nissan Versa with 40,000 miles. I have another vehicle, motorcycle, so the Versa has low miles. Is it necessary to change this coolant?

Originally Posted by avacado11
Originally Posted by clinebarger
The best way is to use a Coolant Refiller that draws a vacuum on the system.....Bleeding is usually not needed at all using this tool.

Do these refillers require anything else or are they standalone units? I just looked at a few and couldn't tell how it worked lol, other than sticking on a radiator and putting a hose in coolant

Originally Posted by eljefino
The right answer is following the manufacturers directions.

If I get a stubborn one, I disconnect the top radiator hose at the rad, hold it high, and pour coolant into it until it dribbles out the radiator nipple. Takes a long torturous journey through the engine and water pump before it gets out that way, and the added height adds pressure to force it through.

I try to follow whenever possible. But some cars and some times I cannot find a specific procedure for the car, so I would assume the universal way would be most time efficient

The ones I have used require an air hose as they use compressed air to draw the vacuum on the system.

Depends on the car - I use an AirLift for problem child cars like Nissans and a Lisle funnel for the rest.

On my car (Prius with CHS), I've used an AirLift or the Lisle funnel with success - but I've had to jumper the load terminals in the relay socket for the coolant thermos pump to purge air and fill the thermos up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by avacado11
Is there a standard or proper way to bleed a cooling system?

I've always just idled the car with the radiator cap off. After a few minutes I top off, close, drive, and check level again once cool. I've also heard of squeezing the upper radiator hose to help purge the system...is this necessary? Lots of cars these days don't have radiator caps anymore. Just pressurized overflow tanks. Does the same procedure work?

Is there any other way that works better?

What a11 said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back