Best Value Tires For Compact / Midsize Car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
It looks like I am down to either the Michelin Primacy MXM4 or the Yokohama AVID - S Touring ...Both are the exact same price . The difference being the Michelin is a 50K mile tire and is "H" rated while the Yokohama is a 65K mile tire and is the slower "T" rated (118MPH) tire . Lastly the Michelin gets a 9.1 rating while the Yokohama gets a 8.5 rating ...Not sure which one to go with - may be splitting hairs except to say the extra 15K mile warrantee of the Yokohama is appealing and as far as it being a "T" rated tire - why should I care ? ...I doubt my Elantra will even go 118MPH and even if it did I don't ever plan on driving any where near that speed ... Your additional thoughts ?

I am confused. Looks like the Yoko is much cheaper than the Primacy, at least at DTD: http://is.gd/xvWrDI

Avid Touring S should suit you just fine, as long as the tire shop is willing to mount a T-rated tire on a car with an OE spec of H. If you can really get the Primacy MXM4 for the same price, you can't go wrong there.

Something does not sound copacetic here. If one goes to Discount Tire Direct the Primacy MXM4 is $42 a tire more than the Yoko Avid Touring, or $104 vs $146. They also have and $10 off each tire online now, so $376 OTD for the Yoko Avid TS vs $544 OTD for the Primacy MXM4. Quite a difference.

I've use the DTD not tax price to negotiate the lowest OTD price at my local DT store so that's why I chose their price to use as an example.

As for the Avid's T rating, Civic too spec'd H in the EX, but never missed a beat with them, And much better than the carpy OEM H rated Firestones.

If they (is the DT mentioned the Disc. Tire?) are going to give you the Primacy MXM4's for the same price you quoted better grab them. But this sounds like a case of too good to be true. Doesn't sound right.

I agree with sayjac. It doesn't sound right at all, but if it's for real get the Primacy. If not, get the Avid, don't sweat the speed rating and know that it's still an excellent tire that the Primacy may only be marginally better than.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
BIL has a cavalier with this size tire, so it's not just hi-po cars.
lol.gif

Price Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tourings from WM. You can probably do better with mail-order Avids though.

+1

Quote:
General Altimax HP

Having also owned a set of the HP's also on the same Civic, they would be my second choice. Very good/excellent hydroplaning resistance. I purchased them with a $50 Visa card`rebate in between the two sets of Avid's.

But, I got ~10k more treadlife with the Avid Touring and unlike the HP's the Avid's are non directional. The latter is a minor consideration though in my experience. The Avid's being made here also helps give them the nod for me. Just me.

I won't have another non - directional tire again ...Didn't like them as they have limited rotation capability unless you remount them .

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Hankook H727s really can't be beat for the price. I had these on my wife's old Subaru and had 30k on them when we traded it in. The tires were at about half treadlife and were still whisper quiet.

These are very nice tires at any price. Great on slick roads and last very long. Also ride nice. I have put these on a few cars...

Sayjac : Correct ! I didn't care for the directional tires that could only be rotated same side.

The last 3 sets of tires I have purchased have been Yokohama's (Avid V4S and Avid Envigor on a 2004 Accord I no longer own, and Avid Ascend on the TSX). I consider myself a consumer that doesn't look for the cheapest price but rather the best value, and I think Yokohama is tough to beat in that arena.

I've never made it to the treadlife warranty but the pro-rated amounts determined by DT have been generous IMO.

Sorry for the lack of info on the Touring-S model. This was more of a thumbs-up for Yokohama in general.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Sayjac : Correct ! I didn't care for the directional tires that could only be rotated same side.

It's cool. Do update us with what you ultimtely choose.

I have generally found Yokohama to be good (with exception of some OE's on a CRX Si) they balance well generally take little weight and perform very well for the money.

Michelins for the same price seems like a no-brainer though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back