Best Subcompact Cars in the US & Global

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bombed around in a 2010 Yaris hatchback yesterday. The fellow selling it was great, just straight up threw plates on the back and tossed me the keys.

What a fun little car. Once it warmed up had fine take off power for what it is and great turning radius. Floored it was so comfortable and loved the space in the back versus a sedan.

Giving it some serious thought for our secondary city car. He is asking well below market rate and it has about 110K miles. But there are some scratches (one big one alongside the passenger door) and the inside needs a real professional detail. Will need tires, but everything else was done in the last month or so including new battery, starter, oil, front brakes, etc.

I am somewhat deterred by the big scratch, or at least giving me pause as not sure if it is the kind that can be buffed out or not. It doesn't have to be a showpiece obviously but it was noticeable enough to be annoyed by it. Decisions, decisions...

Originally Posted By: NewEnglander
Bombed around in a 2010 Yaris hatchback yesterday. The fellow selling it was great, just straight up threw plates on the back and tossed me the keys.

What a fun little car. Once it warmed up had fine take off power for what it is and great turning radius. Floored it was so comfortable and loved the space in the back versus a sedan.

Giving it some serious thought for our secondary city car. He is asking well below market rate and it has about 110K miles. But there are some scratches (one big one alongside the passenger door) and the inside needs a real professional detail. Will need tires, but everything else was done in the last month or so including new battery, starter, oil, front brakes, etc.

I am somewhat deterred by the big scratch, or at least giving me pause as not sure if it is the kind that can be buffed out or not. It doesn't have to be a showpiece obviously but it was noticeable enough to be annoyed by it. Decisions, decisions...

Prepare for the oil to not change it's color for about 2k miles... and the consumption to not vary over 5k-6k miles....
They will do 90... noisy but will do it...
your only problem on the highway is guts of lateral winds...(tall car)
tires should be 175/65R14 or 185/60r15
Memorial Day is around the corner and some deals should appear...
re: scratch... plasti-dip?
couple scratches i had on mine, did not rust.... I did used the touch up kit on them, but of course i did not do a pro job...

what is your coolant color and condition?
also, what is your atf color and condition?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Prepare for the oil to not change it's color for about 2k miles... and the consumption to not vary over 5k-6k miles....
They will do 90... noisy but will do it...
your only problem on the highway is guts of lateral winds...(tall car)
tires should be 175/65R14 or 185/60r15
Memorial Day is around the corner and some deals should appear...
re: scratch... plasti-dip?
couple scratches i had on mine, did not rust.... I did used the touch up kit on them, but of course i did not do a pro job...

what is your coolant color and condition?
also, what is your atf color and condition?

They were 14 steelies but the covers are [censored] and will go, but easy enough to replace. Did all the fluids according to the tech, so I assume good but perhaps one should never assume.

Never done plasti-dip. My initial thought was have a detail place buff it out.

Originally Posted By: DweezilAZ
Bracing for flaming, but have you considered the Mitsubishi Mirage ?

It's a good question and I did give it some thought. I had a Mirage as a rental for almost a week a year or two ago. I didn't mind it, and I think for an around city car it would be fine and do the job quite well. It did feel "tinny" to me on a level I haven't experienced with other subcompacts, but I have nothing but love for Mitsubishi as one of the great rally car developers back in the day. I am sure it would be reliable as well. Have you liked it or had experienc with the Mirage?

I am tentatively driving a Yaris tomorrow. We'll see what happens!

One of the only new cars I actually went to look at, New Englander. A new Mitsubishi franchise was opened here in Tucson [the closest one before that was in Phoenix]. Comfortable seats, decent rear legroom, good headroom. The sort of car that had an overall personality of being simple and honest. Not trying to be something it wasn't.

It is awfully light though, and I did wonder how it would fare on a long trip of the type I do to visit my brother in Salt Lake City, about 900 miles away from me.

There is a BITOG member that has purchased one and seems to be happy with it.

Personally, it would be on my very short list of the cars that would entice me to spend money. Or even less on a used one. Saw a black 17 on a lot for $9950 the other day.

Full disclosure: I am a minimalist when it comes to cars. The last vehicle that got my pulse racing was an 07 Ford Ranger with bench seat, rubber flooring, crank windows, 5 speed manual,no console, a bed cover and fancy wheels. I am completely uninterested in trucks, but that one would really have had me open my wallet.

Question for Toyota Yaris owners: best year to aim for 2007-2010? Any strong opinions on particular years or features as well?

Question for Toyota Yaris owners: best year to aim for 2007-2010? Any strong opinions on particular years or features as well?
Isn't that the era of center mount speedometer?

Yes. Strangely not as big a bother as one might think as I don't mind it.
There ya go. Not an automatic disqualifier like it is for some.

Side airbags, TC, VSC, TPMS. Not sure when those became options, nor if you care. Want to say it's the same drivetrain from 2000 until today. Side airbags might be nice in the city--not that you plan to use them, but sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back