Best String Trimmer for $200-250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: Donald
Consumer Reports does not recommend string trimmers that handle multiple attachments.

Consumer Reports can kiss my ***. I have the Echo PAS-225 and love it. I would definitely recommend it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Pro-Atta...225SB/204667049

I wish I got the PAS because I paid around $200 for my SRM-225 which is great but I need an edger and it sucks because I'd have to buy another machine now

Another vote for the Echo SRM-230 from me.
I've had mine for 9 years and have had no issues with it.

Count me in as another happy Echo trimmer owner (SRM-225). I like their speed feed head.

If long term ownership is the goal, it's hard to beat Stihl and Echo because they have many local dealers and parts are always available either locally or on-line. Most likely there won't be any need to replace any non-maintenance parts, but it's good to know you can fix it instead of junking an otherwise perfectly good trimmer because you can't find carb seals, for example.

What do you guys think of the stihl fs70? Rural King sells it here for $289 and it doesn't switch accessories. It looks like a nice unit, and I was tempted to pull the trigger while at the store today, but it's at the extremely high end of my price range and will leave me with a useless cultivar attachment. If it means a trimmer that'll last 15 years, I might be in, but still on the fence.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
What do you guys think of the stihl fs70? Rural King sells it here for $289 and it doesn't switch accessories. It looks like a nice unit, and I was tempted to pull the trigger while at the store today, but it's at the extremely high end of my price range and will leave me with a useless cultivar attachment. If it means a trimmer that'll last 15 years, I might be in, but still on the fence.

If going $40 over your price bracket isn't a deal breaker you are getting a commercial grade trimmer that will last pretty much forever. I see highway crews and lawn care companies running those trimmers all the time. If people trust them to make a living with im sure it will serve you well as a personal tool.

If it's too much of a stretch the FS56 or the Echo models mentioned earlier are plenty capable long lasting units and are a little less money.

25yrs ago I bought a commercial Stihl with the pistol grip handles still have it but way way too much for simple yard trimming and a heavy snorting beast for what?

It's not just grass edging. I have 2 acres of grass in which to mow. About an eight of an acre of that goes up a steep hillside to the road, that even the best mower won't touch. Unless I'm out there twice a week (I don't want to be), it'll be knee high by the time I get to it with the trimmer. The blade attachments worked well on my last trimmer, but they're super fragile if you hit rocks or a metal culvert that runs the length of it. Using string literally sucked the life out of my last trimmer, a four stroke, cutting this tall grass/weeds. I'd rather go big than small.

I think it's ok to let grass grow wild in some rustic areas of the yard, like the hill right above the Toyota hood in this pic...I've learned to like it.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
25yrs ago I bought a commercial Stihl with the pistol grip handles still have it but way way too much for simple yard trimming and a heavy snorting beast for what?

I bought a used FS250 last year, I love it. Yes, it is heavy, but with a good harness you just use your hands to steer it. I also live on a farm with lots of brush so I need the power.

Last edited:
Using string literally sucked the life out of my last trimmer, a four stroke, cutting this tall grass/weeds. I'd rather go big than small.

I think your frame of reference is quite out of date (propane, 4-cycle unit). Trust me, the new gas trimmers, whether 2-stroke or 4 are much more powerful than your previous propane unit. They will have no problems with tall grass and you can use .095 or thicker line in those. The blade attachments for the new units are actually to cut down small brush, bushes, etc. not tall grass. That's how powerful they are.

You can search for your model on youtube and tall grass to see how they perform. I highly doubt you will have power issues with Echo or Stihl models.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Using string literally sucked the life out of my last trimmer, a four stroke, cutting this tall grass/weeds. I'd rather go big than small.

I think your frame of reference is quite out of date (propane, 4-cycle unit). Trust me, the new gas trimmers, whether 2-stroke or 4 are much more powerful than your previous propane unit. They will have no problems with tall grass and you can use .095 or thicker line in those. The blade attachments for the new units are actually to cut down small brush, bushes, etc. not tall grass. That's how powerful they are.

You can search for your model on youtube and tall grass to see how they perform. I highly doubt you will have power issues with Echo or Stihl models.

They make blades just for grass too. I recently used one for the first time and really liked it for open areas. It did not sling all the junk on you that string does. I was cutting 3 foot tall grass on a pond bank with it, I don't think that I would use it on normal grass though.

I took the plunge, went to HD and bought the PAS-225, and sadly it's getting returned tomorrow.

The unit right from the get-go was a no-start, dead as can be. I'm very careful with new equipment to read the manual, familiarize myself with all the functions / features / safety stuff, and I did just that. As a break-in precaution, before I even went to start it, I took fuel out of the equation and purchased Tru-fuel 50:1 2-stroke, ultra expensive "engineered fuel" that is both JASO FD and ISO EGD certified, which the manual suggests. Even when I mix my own, I only use 2-stroke oil that meets FD & EGD, instead of the universal watercraft stuff (TC3?) that is common on store shelves.

The bugger wouldn't even sputter. I'd like to think I know every trick in the book for getting stubborn 2-strokes to start, as I've worked on more than my fair share, either my own or friends' cheap $100 units. I'm usually successful at it. Pulled plug, checked for flooding, pull rope with plug out to rid fuel (it wasn't flooded), repeat the manual steps a half dozen times, no go. I finally got frustrated went to eat dinner, and came out with a long-stem lighter and warmed up the plug tip and put the flame into the spark plug hole to attempt to heat the chamber. Afterwards, TA-DA a running trimmer.

Once it was running, my overall impression was that it's a solid unit. Fairly vibration free, heavy enough to feel like it's built right, but light enough not to wear you out after a half hour or more of trimming. Just good build quality with great throttle response (once warmed up). I liked it. However, it still bogs down in the overgrowth I'm cutting. That alone wouldn't be a deal breaker, as I dealt with it on my last trimmer, the aforementioned 4-stroke Propane power unit I had (which was no dinosaur, it was state of the art in 2011!) The real killer is that it won't accept my cultivator attachment, which was the whole reason for choosing the 21cc Echo over the 27cc Stihl which doesn't accept attachments. I falsely assumed the attachments were interchangeable, after all my old trimmer was a Lehr brand with a Ryobi cultivator attachment.

Error on my part, but if I'm going to spend $249 on a trimmer that will only be that, I'll spend an extra $40 for one with more power that will cut down this stuff I have without bogging, and then buy a cheap $150 Ryobi power unit to run my cultivator attachment. I think Echo did themselves a disservice by making their attachment proprietary, but it is what it is. Echo has a trimmer with a larger engine (SRM-266), that is emissions rated for 300 hours, as opposed to the SRM-225's 50 hours. That tells me it's a commercial unit, and with a larger engine, it might be what I'm after. If Home Depot balks at giving me a refund, I might exchange for that one, as there wasn't a lot I didn't like about the 225 model, except a bit underpowered and lack of attachment compatibility.

Quote:
They make blades just for grass too. I recently used one for the first time and really liked it for open areas. It did not sling all the junk on you that string does. I was cutting 3 foot tall grass on a pond bank with it, I don't think that I would use it on normal grass though.

Pretty sure I was using the grass blades, and I couldn't agree more. They cut open fields *much* easier without all the debris flung everywhere. They don't mulch the grass clippings quite like string does, it just leaves the long grass clippings laying there. I like the blades much better than string for some areas I'm using the trimmer for.

I would return the unit anyways, or exchanged it if I liked it, since you had so much trouble with the initial startup. Chances are it would probably start giving you trouble in the future. Say you had a lot of trouble starting it and you don't want it, because it's defective.
My Echo trimmer and blower both started with 2-3 pulls, no tricks and I use regular 87 octane gas with Echo 2-stroke oil.

I read about the emission rating about the 225 models, perhaps Echo finally cheapened this model to meet the price point IDK. My unit, bought in 2012 is rated for 300 hours, same with the blower that I bought this year.

I took the plunge, went to HD and bought the PAS-225, and sadly it's getting returned tomorrow.

The unit right from the get-go was a no-start, dead as can be. I'm very careful with new equipment to read the manual, familiarize myself with all the functions / features / safety stuff, and I did just that. As a break-in precaution, before I even went to start it, I took fuel out of the equation and purchased Tru-fuel 50:1 2-stroke, ultra expensive "engineered fuel" that is both JASO FD and ISO EGD certified, which the manual suggests. Even when I mix my own, I only use 2-stroke oil that meets FD & EGD, instead of the universal watercraft stuff (TC3?) that is common on store shelves.

The bugger wouldn't even sputter. I'd like to think I know every trick in the book for getting stubborn 2-strokes to start, as I've worked on more than my fair share, either my own or friends' cheap $100 units. I'm usually successful at it. Pulled plug, checked for flooding, pull rope with plug out to rid fuel (it wasn't flooded), repeat the manual steps a half dozen times, no go. I finally got frustrated went to eat dinner, and came out with a long-stem lighter and warmed up the plug tip and put the flame into the spark plug hole to attempt to heat the chamber. Afterwards, TA-DA a running trimmer.

Once it was running, my overall impression was that it's a solid unit. Fairly vibration free, heavy enough to feel like it's built right, but light enough not to wear you out after a half hour or more of trimming. Just good build quality with great throttle response (once warmed up). I liked it. However, it still bogs down in the overgrowth I'm cutting. That alone wouldn't be a deal breaker, as I dealt with it on my last trimmer, the aforementioned 4-stroke Propane power unit I had (which was no dinosaur, it was state of the art in 2011!) The real killer is that it won't accept my cultivator attachment, which was the whole reason for choosing the 21cc Echo over the 27cc Stihl which doesn't accept attachments. I falsely assumed the attachments were interchangeable, after all my old trimmer was a Lehr brand with a Ryobi cultivator attachment.

Error on my part, but if I'm going to spend $249 on a trimmer that will only be that, I'll spend an extra $40 for one with more power that will cut down this stuff I have without bogging, and then buy a cheap $150 Ryobi power unit to run my cultivator attachment. I think Echo did themselves a disservice by making their attachment proprietary, but it is what it is. Echo has a trimmer with a larger engine (SRM-266), that is emissions rated for 300 hours, as opposed to the SRM-225's 50 hours. That tells me it's a commercial unit, and with a larger engine, it might be what I'm after. If Home Depot balks at giving me a refund, I might exchange for that one, as there wasn't a lot I didn't like about the 225 model, except a bit underpowered and lack of attachment compatibility.

That's why its better to buy from an actual dealer sometimes.... service and setup. For me, it was a FS90R from the local Stihl dealer. However the two Echo chainsaw I bought online started right up and have been awesome!

They will take it back, I recommend a Stihl even at a higher price as any decent dealer is going to give it to you assembled, fueled and have it running before you even pay for it. That practice plus products that last have sold me on them.

With that said Echo is quality stuff and I'm surprised you had an issue getting it to run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Probably needs a carb adjustment.

The individual equipment dealers usually do that for you before you take it home.

Home Depot asked no questions and took the unit back with zero hassle. I drove over to Rural King, prepared to purchase the Stihl FS70r. Upon closer inspection. it was only emissions rated for 125 hr, the intermediate rating. Now I'm no engineer and I don't have any idea to what correlation there exists between emissions rating certification and ACTUAL longevity/reliability. But it means at least something to me, as the mfg must make the engine perform for 300 hours to get the highest rating. The next Stihl in their lineup, the fs91r indeed is certified for 300 hours. But it costs a pretty $329 plus tax. I almost walked out with that one, then told myself I'm buying way too much trimmer and spending too much money, so I left prepared to buy a Tanaka or something decent online, and try to skip out on sales tax. I have a Hitachi leaf blower with a Tanaka engine, and that thing has been flawless.

Then I remembered Echo's SRM-266 was a penny less than $300, and had the 300 hour rating. I ended up going with that one, and whaddya know, it started up within two pulls. Easily $60 more machine than the PAS-225, in my opinion. Just the amount of extra power and torque is worth it. It's quieter, less vibration (and even the PAS-225 was good in that regard) and when you pull that throttle all the way open, better hold on tight because it's cutting whatever you have in front of it and not slowing down. Just a beast. Seems built well, wreaks of quality. Has a cool "new" plastic smell that I didn't notice on the last one. My only qualm would be that it's built with an awful lot of plastic, but I'm not sure I could avoid that no matter what I bought. So far, I love the Machine and Home Depot's return policy. Rural King would have given me nothing be grief if I tried to return something that had been run or fuel put in it.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather the unit not be fired up in the store. I want to be the one to decide what fuel to put in it and fire it up the first time. Not a deal breaker either way, just a preference. I'm still a bit annoyed that I have a useless cultivator attachment now, but nothing decent exists that will take it and still be a reliable trimmer for many years. Even Stihl's kombi system, and Tanaka's split shaft are proprietary and must use the respective mfgs equipment. That would have left me buying a Ryobi trimmer, and I won't make that mistake ever again. On the flipside, I have four kids that could easily take the place of that cultivator should I decide to send them out and weed the garden
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back