Best spark plugs for 2017 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some here are saying the NGK 9723 plug IS compatible and WILL work perfect in the 2017 Elantra 2.0 engine. However, all the online auto stores are showing is is NOT a fit for the 2017 Elantra?! So I am confused as to why some are using the NGK 9723 in 2017 Elantras?? If there is an issue, wont that VOID the warranty since you are using a plug NOT for the Elantra??

Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts and O'Reilly parts all are stating the NGK 9723 "will not fit in 2017 Hyundai Elantra."

ARCOgraphite, I was somewhat concerned when I saw the new shaft design and I saw the thin spring pigtail. Just seemed like very little surface area to contact the plug. So far idle is smooth. A little more quiet. Throttle is more responsive. The combination I have is working well.

Some here are saying the NGK 9723 plug IS compatible and WILL work perfect in the 2017 Elantra 2.0 engine. However, all the online auto stores are showing is is NOT a fit for the 2017 Elantra?! So I am confused as to why some are using the NGK 9723 in 2017 Elantras?? If there is an issue, wont that VOID the warranty since you are using a plug NOT for the Elantra??

Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts and O'Reilly parts all are stating the NGK 9723 "will not fit in 2017 Hyundai Elantra."
I have gone to the NGK website and they do not list a plug that fits our engine. Unless NGK verifies they work I would not use them.

No risk, no reward. That's all I'm saying. I have no regrets, although I don't have a 100,000 mile track record either.

Bottom line, isn't it a requirement for the manufacturer to prove you used an incompatible part. That's the keyword. Incompatible. Which is vastly different from unapproved.

The NGK will be great if you have a GT Elantra. I love NGK. They make nice plugs. But my car has a trunk, not a hatchback (different engine)
Screenshot from 2021-10-02 16-30-08.png

I checked the NGK site today and when I used the parts finder to look for plugs for my 2017 Kia forte (same Nu MPI engine as the Elantra), NGK stock # 90909 shows as the correct spark plug.

9723 is listed as being for the GDI version of the engine but not the MPI.

Last edited:
I checked the NGK site today and when I used the parts finder to look for plugs for my 2017 Kia forte (same Nu MPI engine as the Elantra), NGK stock # 90909 shows as the correct spark plug.

9723 is listed as being for the GDI version of the engine but not the MPI.
It was recently reported at hyundai forums they finally came out with a plug for the MPI. I know a lot of people were asking for it.

Well one minor detail to report:

I've been using exclusively E-0 gas for about 8 months. Why? Because it has always been less than 10 cents per gallon more, often the same exact price, and sometimes even dramatically cheaper than E-10 at one nearby station. Proof:
20211028_143547.jpg

Well, the 8 months of the E-0 price not changing a single penny and the profit bleeding finally made someone running that station open their eyes and jack up the price. Party's over. So the most recent fill-up I used E-10. It ran perfectly fine on the way home (which is about 12 miles from this station). I've been using my other car for the last 5 days straight. When I went to start this car again on Thanksgiving after sitting almost a week. I was greeted with a dramatic rough idle. Perfectly rhythmic. So I shut it down after about 10 seconds (delayed reaction due to being surprised by it). I waited about 15 seconds and tried again. Same result, but this time after about 5 seconds it was accompanied by a check engine light. So I shut it off and grabbed my code reader...P0301: Cylinder 1 misfire. I was in a bit of a hurry because I was running late for Thanksgiving, so I just unhooked it and restarted again to see if it would go away. Sure enough, after about 5 seconds it instantly cured itself and returned to running like a brand new car as usual. I didn't clear the code. I drove it about 30 miles one-way, and then later back again. No issues at all. On Friday, I ran some errands and while driving, the check engine light disappeared. Hasn't been back since, and hasn't misfired even once. So I'm 100% convinced it just got accustomed to prime rib (E-0) and advanced the timing rather aggressively due to the steady diet. It just threw a fit on it's first taste of ramen (E-10) and took it a few bites to retard the timing again.

I'm still standing firm on my plug choice as being problem-free. Fight me. :LOL:

My neightbor I helped changed his spark plug 2013 Elantra with 60k,used OE plugs NGK no issue according to the owner after 30k miles and going.

Hi,

At 53,000 miles now on my 2017 Elantra Value Edition with the 2.0 engine, and since I fall under the "severe" driving category with lots of short trips,
I am due to change my spark plugs. I will use iridium plugs as thats OEM, but wondering what would be the best brand to use? Are there plugs that are
better than OEM, or stick with OEM?

Anyone know what OEM brand Hyundai used for the 2017 model Elantra 2.0 engine? I want to be sure I use top quality that is equal to factory or better if there are better plugs than OEM.

Thanks
Michael in NJ
If the plugs are original, use the same brand and # that came out of the motor.

Well one minor detail to report:

I've been using exclusively E-0 gas for about 8 months. Why? Because it has always been less than 10 cents per gallon more, often the same exact price, and sometimes even dramatically cheaper than E-10 at one nearby station. Proof:
View attachment 79416

Well, the 8 months of the E-0 price not changing a single penny and the profit bleeding finally made someone running that station open their eyes and jack up the price. Party's over. So the most recent fill-up I used E-10. It ran perfectly fine on the way home (which is about 12 miles from this station). I've been using my other car for the last 5 days straight. When I went to start this car again on Thanksgiving after sitting almost a week. I was greeted with a dramatic rough idle. Perfectly rhythmic. So I shut it down after about 10 seconds (delayed reaction due to being surprised by it). I waited about 15 seconds and tried again. Same result, but this time after about 5 seconds it was accompanied by a check engine light. So I shut it off and grabbed my code reader...P0301: Cylinder 1 misfire. I was in a bit of a hurry because I was running late for Thanksgiving, so I just unhooked it and restarted again to see if it would go away. Sure enough, after about 5 seconds it instantly cured itself and returned to running like a brand new car as usual. I didn't clear the code. I drove it about 30 miles one-way, and then later back again. No issues at all. On Friday, I ran some errands and while driving, the check engine light disappeared. Hasn't been back since, and hasn't misfired even once. So I'm 100% convinced it just got accustomed to prime rib (E-0) and advanced the timing rather aggressively due to the steady diet. It just threw a fit on it's first taste of ramen (E-10) and took it a few bites to retard the timing again.

I'm still standing firm on my plug choice as being problem-free. Fight me. :LOL:
When I had the misfire issue it was intermittent. It ran normally almost all the time but occasionally would misfire. When the missfire happened, rasing the rpms a bit would clear it up. Assuming the car is under warranty, take it to the dealer. They'll replace the coils under warranty with that misfire code.

Just put a set of these in my Tacoma a few weeks ago. They defiantly helped my truck out since the old plugs were gapped around 70 when the spec is 44. Those copper plugs wore down in 116k miles. I should’ve checked and changed them sooner.
Denso would be great if they made a plug for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back