best spark plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is E3 supposed to be like a Mercedes of spark plugs? Haven't heard of them before.

Also, how often are you supposed to replace the plug on a push mower? Whenever the engine starts running rough?

The manual for my Toro 20333 (6.75 B&S engine) does not mention spark plug replacement frequency.

E3 spark plugs, according to their website, were designed to reduce Emission in small engines something like 70%, since they pollute far more than larger Catalytic converter, Fuel injected engines. It seems as a side affect, fuel consumption is reduced, and power can be increased. I have found this to be true. Well, I can not vouch for the emissions part of it, since I don't measure emissions of my mower, but... Since it was designed to alleviate it, I will take their word for it. They also make automotive spark plugs, but from what I've seen, they aren't as good, they start misfiring about about 15k miles in some cars. But as for small engines, they seem to work great.
(Oh, and you are supposed to replace spark plugs every 100 hours, or every season, whichever comes first. However, E3 plugs have a lifetime warranty, and don't need replaced as often. I believe they will send you a new one for free, if for some reason you need to replace it)

I just stick with whatever the manufacturer put in. I can buy 4 RJ19LM Champions for my Briggs for the price of one E3. I've tried it along with the Platinum verson of the RJ19. They are all the same. $1.79 for the plane jane version at Wally World. I just buy a new one at the beginning of the mowing season.

FWIW, all my Echo equipment ran like S^#% with Champion plugs, but when I went back to NGK, they were fine.

Originally Posted By: BUBBA0420
Stay Away from CHAMPIONS as they are junk. I have personally
seen 3 plugs that came apart where the center actually came out
of the acorn and left the base in the block. 1 one a boat the
2nd one in a pickup truck and the 3rd in my rototiller.
Luckily it did not drop anything in to the cylinders.

+1
cool.gif

Champions are good for 2 things lawn mowers, and Chrysler products. Everything else runs like [censored] on them.
That being said ALL of my small engines are equipped with NGK.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
Originally Posted By: BUBBA0420
Stay Away from CHAMPIONS as they are junk. I have personally
seen 3 plugs that came apart where the center actually came out
of the acorn and left the base in the block. 1 one a boat the
2nd one in a pickup truck and the 3rd in my rototiller.
Luckily it did not drop anything in to the cylinders.

+1
cool.gif

Champions are good for 2 things lawn mowers, and Chrysler products. Everything else runs like [censored] on them.
That being said ALL of my small engines are equipped with NGK.

Absolutely true!! ^^^^^^^

Last edited:
I am not sure plugs make a difference in performance, but...
Autolite has a new line of iridium fine wire plugs for small engines.

I use fine wire plugs not to increase performance, but to enhance longevity of electrical componenents in older ATV's and motorcycles. Same spark, less effort to do it. So I have started using them in everything.

That being said, I have an ancient craftsman blower I keep as a backup, with the original Champion plug. Clean em and gap em, works. I am probably just enhancing the coffers of Denso and Autolite.

I replaced most of my Champion RJ19LM's with their EZ Start plug (5861) this season and no complaints so far.

Too early to tell about the snow blower performance, though.

NGK, best spark plug avaiable barnone!! Run them in anything with a gas engine. You wont be disappointed

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
NGK, best spark plug avaiable barnone!! Run them in anything with a gas engine. You wont be disappointed

Agree with the above. I've got engines over twenty years old running the same NGK plug. As previously said, clean 'em, gap 'em and put 'em back in. Replace when they stop working.

In all my small equipment, I usually use NGK's. My Stihl equipment usually comes with NGK's. I did try a E-3 in my Stihl blower and it's been ok for a little over 2 yrs.

I do think, however, that the oil used in the 2 stroke equipment is more important than the brand of spark plug. The plus side of using OEM replacement plugs is that you are getting the exact heat range that is recommended from the manufacturer, not a cross referece range.

Originally Posted By: SidViscous
NGK and Denso are the only ones to use

Why? Many pro aborist and rc car guys buy champion for small 2 cycle engines due to perceived fouling and heat exchange problems with certain size NGK.

In racing days I had champions foul and blamed them, but have since learned it was my errors in carb set up. There are so many settings that affect ignition, the brand of plug is probably last. I can't find any info on the web where power was gained on a dyno by switching between consumer plugs. I find no difference on my test tachometers when changing between plug brands and electrode styles and materials.

Buy what you want, I am just as guilty of brand loyalty, but it may just be perception. I am starting to think this is a marketing hoax that rivals motor oil.......
48.gif
....yet I still buy iridium plugs for everything from a frickin mower to a new motorcycle.

Fouled may be the only bad plug. I just cleaned/gapped the original Bosch plug 15 year old stihl trimmer I was working on, and it fired right up and went to the spec 2700 RPM idle. The owner broke down and bought a new plug for when this one wears out.
crackmeup2.gif

For all you naysayers, let it be known I am not partial to any brand of plug. I seldom use anything other than Bosch, NGK, and Champion. It will totally depend what I am working on.

Honda engines get NGK,
most Kohler and B&S get Champions. For you guys who claim Champions are no good, I have installed several hundred champions and have yet to have a single problem.....
Most 2 cycle engines get NGK or Bosch. Check manufacturers manual for brand to use.

Spark plugs may run fine for multiple seasons, but keep in mind that you may be placing your ignition system under greater stress and setting it up for failure. With this said, I find spark plugs much cheaper to buy than ignition systems.

It is however, very important to install the correct spark plug or at least the correct heat range.

Originally Posted By: superior_power
For all you naysayers, let it be known I am not partial to any brand of plug. I seldom use anything other than Bosch, NGK, and Champion. It will totally depend what I am working on.

Honda engines get NGK,
most Kohler and B&S get Champions. For you guys who claim Champions are no good, I have installed several hundred champions and have yet to have a single problem.....
Most 2 cycle engines get NGK or Bosch. Check manufacturers manual for brand to use.

Spark plugs may run fine for multiple seasons, but keep in mind that you may be placing your ignition system under greater stress and setting it up for failure. With this said, I find spark plugs much cheaper to buy than ignition systems.

It is however, very important to install the correct spark plug or at least the correct heat range.

Excellent post. I see "NGK Gold Standard" and ask why? Good plug,Not arguing that, but is there any proof on the dyno or lab? I see no difference between manufacturers on my test tachometers when I use the appropriate plug for the application. Material and electrode style don't seem to matter to initial performance as well, but people will swear it runs "smoother". I can put an autolite 254, Champion CJ7 or a NGK BMP7 in a 2 cycle and dare anyone to tell the difference. I tweek a carb screw 1/4 turn and you will notice a difference. If it fouls, it was the darn plugs fault.

I buy fine wire and better metal for to save on iginiton componenets. I buy heat range based on engine performance. I use Autolite, Bosch, Champion,Denso and NGK, but I am just not sure brand is all that. Does this go to perception as much as reality, similar to (dare I say) motor oil and small engines
33.gif
.....but at least we have UOA and chemistry to back up our motor oil discussions
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back