best solution to retreive hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old HP Pavilion 580 that the processor crashed (at least that what it seems like)... The fan broke and I didn't realize it, and it apparently overheated and froze... then on re-boot it won't even get to a blue screen. I think the hard drive is probably still good.

What would be the best way for me to get my photos and other data off that hard drive? Maybe find a junk Pavilion and rob the processor? Or is there some way to remove the hard drive and USB it to my new computer and download stuff from it?

Any help appreciated. I'm a truck driver... not a computer guru. :eek:

Dan

How old is the HP? You could pull the old drive out. If it has 40 pins that the cable plugs into, then you need the IDE enclosure. if it has two, small and flat cables that plug into it, then you'll need the SATA enclosure.

When you buy a new computer just pop that drive in it as a second/backup hard drive.

Or have a friend pop it into his computer and then copy your info to CD/DVD or flash drive.

Last edited:
More than likely you have the old IDE with ribbon cables. While you can have two to a controller you may have to mess with "master/slave". Usually your host computer's CDROM is on its own channel, you can borrow its cable and power long enough to copy your data off. Don't even need to put the case on while you work.

great suggestions, all...

It looks like I've got a SATA and I'll probably go on and order an enclosure, because as was mentioned I will be able to use it on other computers if need be.

Thanks again to all. :)

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back