Best shop lighting ideas for 40x100 pole building

40x100 with 12 foot ceiling.

Emphasis on the lighting being very efficient, not able to be made obsolete. (I want to be able to repair it and not unwire and dispose of like some of the sealed LED enclosures which should be made illegal.

Here is a similar photo on google:

pole-barn-kits-29.jpg

I'm using these topaz lights. They are pretty bright and not very expensive. The driver is easy to source and it uses a pretty standard led. Led is the 2835 and really easy to get strips of them and singles are 39 cents each at mouser.

20230313_162917.jpg

I would think the simplest fixture that is made for an LED tube.
I like to be able to replace the bulb/tube. Cannot stand the notion of having to replace an entire fixture even if it technically should be 10-15years.

I know I said serviceable, but what about "Corvus UFO 150w LED's" 15 to 20 yrs lifespan and yes im mad they arent servicable but I do have surface mount solderding skills so I could always cut them open and repair if I really had to.

The question then is will that product be available ten or 15 years down the road or are you able to adapt a new unit in which is unknown.

I put Barrina strip lights in my 35’x25’ garage with a 12’ ceiling. Amazon has them $20 cheaper per 10 than what I paid too. ~6’ spacing per row comes out to 5 rows of 12 8’ lights… 60 lights. Nearly $1000 in lighting. 😱

*I missed the serviceable part. Your best bet is to just get traditional fluorescent style lights with LED tubes.
A990C82D-5EAE-434E-80CF-A1A4076AFDBA.jpeg

Last edited:
40x100 is awesome. I need that! My one building is 20x120, but the depth and width woukd sure be nice…

Id personally go with fluorescent lights in 4’ sections. I have some 8’ modern fixtures that are 4x4’ bulbs, but they aren’t as good imo as my old t12 8’ bulbs. I’d just wire up 4’ fixtures where it makes sense. In the future as led bets better, just convert to direct wire…

I will say I have a few of the HF 5000 (or maybe they’re 5500) lumen led bulbs and I’ve been very happy with them.

I have another thread going on with the question of cool white vs Daylight.

Right now it’s all cool white in my shop but now that the 48 inch Florescent tubes are burning out after 10 years, I have a chance to make a switch. I bought a couple of Daylight tubes and put them up and so far I think they are more pleasant. Each to his own I guess but the OP should experience the difference before committing.

Back