Best restaurant in downtown Indianapolis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I are going to Indianapolis for an overnight trip to celebrate our anniversary. We'll be staying downtown. Any suggestions for a great meal?

Lived up there for 4 years and liked Oceanaire for seafood. I found St Elmo's to be overpriced and noisy more like a loud bar scene if that's your thing. Couldn't talk to my wife. St Elmo's is famous for their shrimp cocktails. The cocktail sauce can now be purchased at Costco and is just as good and very hot/spicy from way too much horseradisch
For steaks we really liked Mccormick & Schmidt. Great atmosphere and food.

For a lunch or cheaper route if you like cajun food you might try Yatz. There in now one in Columbus , IN. My wife really likes the chilli cheese etoufee. Also for mexican there is a chain called Abuelo's that is awesome.

You may be looking for something a bit fancier, but if you're just wanting a great selection of great food, don't need fancy, don't want to dress up, and want it fast, go to Shapiro's Deli.

I tried it in recommendation of some of y'all about a year and a half ago as I was passing through on my way to Chicago with my then-girlfriend (now fiancee). Had the Reuben, and, although a bit pricey for a sandwich at around $15, it was very, very good. And, being a cafeteria-style establishment, they had MANY other choices that all looked delicious, along with a huge selection of fantastic-looking desserts.

Here's that thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...laces-to-eat-in-indianapolis#Post4746585

EDIT: Just read you're celebrating your anniversary. So you might want something a little classier for dinner that night. But maybe Shapiro's for lunch the next day if you're there that long.

You might want to check out Tony's (traditional) or Bluebeard (Asian/Fusion/Local) or Bosphorus Instanbul Cafe (Turkish) . Bluebeard + Bosphorus are a bit of a walk (edge of downtown), but are a little different if you don't want the same old boring stuff.

You might want to check out Tony's (traditional) or Bluebeard (Asian/Fusion/Local) or Bosphorus Instanbul Cafe (Turkish) . Bluebeard + Bosphorus are a bit of a walk (edge of downtown), but are a little different if you don't want the same old boring stuff.

Originally Posted by PW01
Made a reservation for St. Elmo's. Thanks for the suggestions

Good choice.

Edwards Drive-In Restaurant makes a nice Tenderloin if you are in the mood. I don't know what you all in Northern Tucky eat.

Originally Posted by NO2

I'll make a note of that Turkish place. Sounds interesting.

There used to be an awesome Greek place but they went out a few years ago. Not sure how Greek compares to Turkish food since they're in the same region.

St. Elmos is a great place. It's not perfect, but nothing is. If you've never been there, it's like the Grand Canyon; you gotta go once in your life to say you've done it. The food is pretty much top of the line; you'll typically not be disappointed. If you're not happy, do not be afraid to say so; they will bend over backwards to make it right. The atmosphere is sort of an "iffy" thing. There are places in that establishment which are very loud; there are other rooms that are quite nice and quiet - all depends upon where you're seated.

That said, there's all manner of good places in downtown Indy. Much of that would depend upon two things:
- what type food you want to eat
- what your price point is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back