Best performing all weather tire for snow

he's tested all weather tyres in all conditions. Not all will be available in the US, and the crossclimate has been replaced by crossclimate 2 obviously.

Continental DWS06 gets my vote
Do you actually drive in the snow and ice on Rte 14 around Palmdale or up the I-5 north around the Grapevine (Tejon Pass) when it snows?

Does the legendary Continental DWS06 have a 3PMS logo next to the M+S logo on the sidewall? Or you think the 3PMS is irrelevant because the "S" in DWS means "Snow", so it's a snow tire also?

Continental may have chosen not to certify DWS06 (or General RT43) with 3MPSF but they are not winter tires.

Krzyś

In maybe '15 I had a girlfriend who needed tires for her AWD Honda Element and I convinced her to get the Nokian WR SUV; I don't recall the number. Before those tires wore out she replaced the Element with an AWD '15 RDX that was still riding on the OEM tires. She drove those for less than a week before demanding I find her a set of WRs for the RDX; that was in '17 and she's still driving on them today.

She told me a story about driving a friend of hers around on a slushy day. "What's that sound?" asked the friend. "That," said my girl, "is the sound of slush getting forced out from between the tire and the road. That, is the sound of safety."

Any more Nokians are the only snows I buy.

I got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 4+ for the GTI a few weeks ago, no snow experience yet obviously but in cold, dry and wet they do handle very well.

They replaced a set of Nokian Entyre 2.0's that were a good tire, biggest gripe was wet handling that really decreased rapidly as the tire wore.

I have about a years experience with some Goodyear Weatherready Tires with the 3MPSF. They've been great all throughout last winter. Handled some pretty bad Quebec storms, no issues. At 150$/tire for 235/65/17's, the price was fair too.

Continental DWS06 gets my vote
Same here as although I'm sure there are better snow tires, the DWS06 is a high performance all season tire. I've put them through whatever has been thrown my way in different parts of NC. Of course not a buttload of snow by any means, but I've driven in snow, ice, you name it and never had any issues with traction. They perform so well for me year round, especially dry and wet, I will keep nothing but that exact tire in use as long as they're available. Actually won't waste time/energy looking for anything else regardless of manufacturer.

Just had these installed . Cooper Evolution Winter with studs .
IMG_5697.JPG
IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5688.JPG
IMG_5689.JPG
IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5687.JPG

I had the Nokians installed on a 2011 Honda Ridgeline I used to own and they were fantastic in the snow. A huge improvement over the OEM tires. The only knock on them IMO was there was a slight "growl" to them over time, but nothing that would stop me from getting them again. I have a 2020 Ridgeline and I will put Nokians on it when it's time.

I can't recommend the General Altimax Arctic tires enough. Put them on two of my cars and the handling in snow/sleet/slush is just fantastic, day/night difference from all season tires (obviously). Ran one set six years and they still had 7/32 thread remaining. Price to performance ratio just couldn't be beat at the time. Not sure what they go for these days, but if I were to buy snow tires again, those would be them. But given global warming and all that other fun stuff, as the years went on my need for snow tires (even here in Cleveland, in the snow belt) has diminished from a few months to maybe a storm or two per winter. Just not worth it for me. Good problem to have!

They are available without studs . You can see plenty of deep sipes for bite .
Still with the deep sipes, combined with the winter compound, the other 3-seasons, its performance will be dramatically compromised. The tread design features that makes it great for snow means it's not going to be very hydroplaning resistant, then add in all that tread-squirm, compromising handling, and it's going to wear very quickly in the other 3-seasons.

I had my first snow drive on my brand new continental extreme contact dws06 and all I can say is I had higher hopes.
We got about 5-8” in Maryland. I drove home on about 3-4” on untouched roads. My commute started in slush, they were great. The highway had a hard packed inch or so, they were ok. The highway had too many wrecks and people driving like pansies so I hopped off for backroads...they were untouched, had 2-4 inches on them, and I almost got stuck multiple times, even giving myself as much momentum as possible before uphill sections. At one point I had to back down the hill and restart. Many times I had to turn traction control off to be able to spin a little more than the car wanted me to.
I typically just call out of work in the snow so it isn’t a huge deal, and our roads are usually cleared fast around here, but I was pretty disappointed in how they drove in the snow at maximum tread depth (not even 1k miles on them yet).

DWS are performance tires. They are good in winter compared to other similar tires.
Decent winter tires would have been better in above conditions.

Krzyś

Back