Best oil for Porsche 991

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to point out that ACEA and associated independent OEM specification evolve every few years even if name doesn't change.

I'm confident this oil is quality C3 lubricant, and some years back it could had A40 and A3/B4 approvals, but not today. To claim A3/B4-04 in 2015 is ridiculous, and completely irrelevant.

They could just as well claimed approvals against Klingon Warbird.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Manufacturer Approvals: BMW Longlife-04; MB-Approval 229.51; Porsche A40

Amsoil AFL 5W-40

I would say the other Amsoil 5W-40 and 0W-40's would work as well.

This is interesting. I wonder if there is another example from big manufacturers that are able to meet both C3, MB 229.51 and A40. I've never came across on oil like this in a last four years.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Amsoil AFL 5W-40

This is interesting. I wonder if there is another example from big manufacturers that are able to meet both C3, MB 229.51 and A40. I've never came across on oil like this in a last four years.

Pentosin 5W40 meets MB229.51, VW 505.01, BMW LL-04 and A40.
Motul 5W40 X-Clean is also Mid-SAPS and meets A40 as well as all other that Pentosin also meets.

HI,
Pablo - What further definition applies to Amsoil's MB229.51 assertion?

Again, IMO it is very important to use the correctly specified lubricants in Euro sourced vehicles

As well, ACEA is not a Euro version of API!! ACEA was formed by the collaboration of Euro Manufacturers. It is a great pity that the US Manufacturers didn't do the same thing a few decades ago. ACEA has at the least put the API on continuing notice!!

The best interests of the Oil Companies contrasts at critical times with those of the vehicle Manufacturers - as history shows

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
HI,

"Further definition?"

Not sure what you are asking. Why would you call a fact/the truth an assertion?

HI,

"Further definition?"

I do not want to open another tread, but your 5W30 AEL (ESP) oil has pretty good numbers. Do you plan to get approvals for that oil?
Also, why there is no VW approval? You got A40, BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51, but no VW 505.01 for AFL oil?

Originally Posted By: edyvw
HI,

"Further definition?"

I do not want to open another tread, but your 5W30 AEL (ESP) oil has pretty good numbers. Do you plan to get approvals for that oil?
Also, why there is no VW approval? You got A40, BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51, but no VW 505.01 for AFL oil?

I asked the same question mid-year or so, Amsoil hinted further approvals of the Euro oil(s) might be in the cards. But sometimes Amsoil will do these things, then change plans. Sounds like they are serious - I guess they figured consumers weren't getting their heads around the whole low/mid/high SAPS thing.

HI,

"Further definition?"

I asked the same question mid-year or so, Amsoil hinted further approvals of the Euro oil(s) might be in the cards. But sometimes Amsoil will do these things, then change plans. Sounds like they are serious - I guess they figured consumers weren't getting their heads around the whole low/mid/high SAPS thing.

Not sure about that, consumers will go what says in manual, for most part.
Also, AEL has TBN 8.8, which seems too high for VW504.00/507.00, but Amsoil recommends it for that application. Do you know sulfated ash % and phosphorus %?

Hi,
Pablo - Still sensitive after all these years eh? I thought we covered this matter in depth a decade or so ago.................

Further definition - well, there are two variants of MB's 229.51 - one is 2009 and the other is 2012

This is what part of this Thread alluded to - the longevity and variables in OEM's specifications

Your definition now please Pablo.............

As for A40 - I suspect that A40 has remained constant as in most German variations on a theme they modify the original "part numbers" sequentially - so one may assume any variations to A40 be A40-1 or A40 2015 or the likes - similar to MB and BMW etc.

And best wishes for 2016 as well Pablo!!

Last edited:
Hi,
Pablo - thanks, so shall we all assume it is the later version then?

The latest version has enhanced performance over the 2009 version!

Again, this is an issue that this Thread raised

Also, AEL has TBN 8.8, which seems too high for VW504.00/507.00, but Amsoil recommends it for that application. Do you know sulfated ash % and phosphorus %?

Missed responding to this. Sorry.

VW low ash specs require a oil to be less than 1% of sulfated ash which the AEL product meets with 0.83% SAPS. And the phosphorus is 794ppm. So this product meets all the requirements for what VW 504.00/507.00 requires a oil to have. The TBN does not reflect to anything that VW requires in a European oil, and there are ways to boost the TBN that don't add to the total SAPS.

Missed responding to this. Sorry.

VW low ash specs require a oil to be less than 1% of sulfated ash which the AEL product meets with 0.83% SAPS. And the phosphorus is 794ppm. So this product meets all the requirements for what VW 504.00/507.00 requires a oil to have. The TBN does not reflect to anything that VW requires in a European oil, and there are ways to boost the TBN that don't add to the total SAPS.

I need to check that since I believe Mid-SAPS requirement by VW is 1% for ash and maximum of 0.8% for Low-SAPS (504.00/507.00).
I know you can boost TBN in another way, but that Amsoil is by far with highest TBN of any Low-SAPS I have ever seen, even higher then most Mid-SAPS oils.

I need to check that since I believe Mid-SAPS requirement by VW is 1% for ash and maximum of 0.8% for Low-SAPS (504.00/507.00).

According to Afton handbook, 504.00/507.00 has a sulfated ash limit of 1.5%, and no mention of phosphorus limit. Weird. Maybe that Afton data is not correct?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

According to Afton handbook, 504.00/507.00 has a sulfated ash limit of 1.5%, and no mention of phosphorus limit. Weird. Maybe that Afton data is not correct?

I do not think so. I think I have somewhere pdf (i think at my work computer) with demands. That is way too hig. I have not seen VW504.00/507.00 oil with sulfated ash higher of 0.8% until this Amsoil.
M1 ESP I use has SA at 0.6%.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Amsoil AFL 5W-40

Pentosin 5W40 meets MB229.51, VW 505.01, BMW LL-04 and A40.
Motul 5W40 X-Clean is also Mid-SAPS and meets A40 as well as all other that Pentosin also meets.

There's also Millers and Aral offering A40 approvals with their mid-SAPS formulas. O couldn't find any such oil from big companies.
As Doug mentioned it's possible that A40 spec didn't follow last two ACEA sequences regarding minimum TBN in A3/B4 as a base specification upon A40 is based. It looks that min. TBN for A40 is still 8, and small blenders found a way to cover more market with same product.

In situation like OP I would certainly choose A40 oil that also carry A3/B4 and MB229.5, especially in NA. For Europe it doesn't matter really.

If you take the lady for her word????? ( Justine)
In her message still on my answering machine she indicated exactly this.
They did not pay to renew.............. That's what she said. Feel free to call her. She said I could anytime....... However that said the new Amsoil is cert'ed and I just threw some 5w-30 MPT 30K in my Briggs and Stration 23 hp extended run Snapper M130 AWS.

Again MPT has not certified it as such but I live on the ragged edge so who gives a flying rats asp
smile.gif

Quote:
The fallacy is that you are assuming the reason they no longer carry the certification is because they just don't feel like paying the fee. How do you know this? Manufacturers can and do change formulations - and this often requires re-certification to not just A40 but most of the rest.

Very often people do or don't do things for a reason other than what they state. Considering the SAPS concerns brought up by christi, it may just as likely be that they did not pay to renew because they knew it would not pass - and also likely they don't care as I doubt many A40-requirement people are buying the oil anyway.

And you don't give a flying rat's asp? You're free not to of course, but I sure would if I owned a nice 991. Living "on the ragged edge" in regards to an oil choice for a $100,000+ sports car does not compute in my book. Why would you stubbornly stick to spending around $5.40 a quart for an oil that has been verified to not meet the spec your vehicle requires rather than buying arguably one of the finest motor oils in the world that does meet the spec for less?

Also, I still want to know where you found the listing on Porsche's website.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
If you take the lady for her word????? ( Justine)
In her message still on my answering machine she indicated exactly this.
They did not pay to renew.............. That's what she said. Feel free to call her. She said I could anytime....... However that said the new Amsoil is cert'ed and I just threw some 5w-30 MPT 30K in my Briggs and Stration 23 hp extended run Snapper M130 AWS.

Again MPT has not certified it as such but I live on the ragged edge so who gives a flying rats asp
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back