best oil for my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I really dont know I build the engines but dont know the best oil hahaha go figure. I was a long time fan of Mobil 1 until I heard all the bad things when they reformulated. So I have been using 0w40 in it right now. But recently I switched over as of today to the new 0w30 signiture series amsoil because I hear so many good things. The car is daily driven but it does go to the track at least a few times a month and is driven aggressively.

99 camaro T56 manual

Specs

LS7 block (7.0L 427) with Mahle forged pistons and mahle low drag rings file fit for NA, forged 4340 H-beam rods using ARP2000 bolts, Eagle 4340 forged crank, clevite 77 main and rod bearings. LS7 MLS head gaskets ARP head studs, custom speced cam 244/256 dur 657/630 lift 110+4 lobe sep, CTSV racing lifters, LS7 heads milled 6 thousands for higher compression round 11.8 to 1, Harland sharp rockers, comp push rods, extreme series dual springs, ported intake, 92mm TB, SD tuned, 1 7/8s stepped to 2in longtube headers, true dual 3 in exhaust with x-pipe, tex clutch and billet flywheel, 3.5 driveshaft, 12 bolt moser rear with 33 spline axles detroit true trac with 4.56 gears.

Thanks so much for your opinions just want my investment to have the best protection possible. I currently have 8k on the motor I broke it in with rotella T 15w40 diesel oil for 3k.

sweet sweet engine! What kind of power are you getting out of that? And what kind of times? I would think the Mobil 1 0W40 would be good. How do you drive this thing? Just a track car? If so Amsoils new dominator oil looks good for this application as well as Redline oils. JMHO.

Congratulations on a great engine. That sounds like quite a feat of modern engineering.

I'd roll with the 0W-40 M1. It's a great oil with proven results. If you really want to go all out, then Liqui-Moly or Motul might be up your alley, but those are some High prices.

well I just heard some bad reviews from my buddys car which was running the new mobil 1 0w40 and his uoa came back with some bad wear readings even though he has only 9k on his 402 that i built for him. I switched today to the new signiture series Amsoil 0w30 as I hear it is fantastic but Ill see how my UOA comes out. I never leave any oil in over 4k no matter how good it is.

The motor makes over 560 rwhp 498 rwtq all motor and I just ordered my ported heads that add a dyno verified 38 rwhp and 29 rwtq over a stock set. I am having them milled another 3 thousands that will raise my compression too 12.2 to 1 that should be perfect to get me a dyno proven 600+ rwhp and over 520 rwtq all motor. As it is I have over 450 rwtq from 3200 rpms all the way too 6650 rpms and still over 400 rwtq till shift point, which is 7200 rpms. I have 350 rwtq as early as 2300 rpms, so traction is already a big problem. I am pretty happy with the numbers being I still average 24+ MPG highway and over 19 city driving, got to love modern tech I program my own car so it helps and it passes emissions as well. I also have a 250 shot of N20 as well if I need it but havent sprayed it yet. Car weighs in at 3890 with me in it and has run a best of 11.5 with a bad 2.1 60 ft up here at 5500 ft above sea level. Should be a low 10 all motor car at sea level, maybe even high 9 with a great driver and fantastic launch.

Last edited:
The first few UOA's always look pretty bad on a fresh engine because of all the break-in metal.

Great numbers by the way! Who ground your camshaft?

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Congratulations on a great engine. That sounds like quite a feat of modern engineering.

I'd roll with the 0W-40 M1. It's a great oil with proven results. If you really want to go all out, then Liqui-Moly or Motul might be up your alley, but those are some High prices.

I`ve always been curious about the Liqui Moly. NAPA here has it. A guy here I was talking to at O`Reilly`s uses Royal Purple 15W40 in his WS6 Trans Am.

A guy Named Patrick G a great guy an does it for a living I told him I wanted the most the intake could support as it is the bottleneck at the moment soon hopefully i will be cured with a Harrop intake which uses 8 55mm indiviual throttle bodies. But thats down the road a bit

What kind of track use? Drag racing? LS7 as in big block? if so I would keep on using a HDEO can't beat it and unless you roadrace I doubt you could hold WOT that engine very long because of not having enough road . I have found HDEO oils to work great in my big block in a flat bottom boat . The price of the oil allows changing the oil often. Stout valve train I see, you need lots of additives for that.

I do not think any M1 oil except the 15w-50 had enough zinc and phos for the engines and BB Chevs work best with real 40 wt oils. I really like BB chevy engines for hot rod work . Parts costs are reasonable and most everybody can make them run good some great.

Last edited:
It's an LS7 guys. This is a BIG CUBE SMALL BLOCK. Roller cam bearings, roller lifters, and it's a pushrod motor. Think of it as a REALLY BIG LS1.

It does NOT need 4 billion PPM Zinc. The 0w40 will be fine, so would Delvac 1 5w40/M1 TDT 5w40.

beast: There is a guy on here called "Grampsinthesand" who also has a built big-cubes LSx engine. He's running Shaeffers, but had great results with Rotella T Syn 5w40 as well.

Thats really good news about that and I think I may switch to it after I run this new amsoil to its limit.

Why hasnt anyone said much about this oil??? From the looks of its specs and such it has a GREAT additive package, shears very little, great viscosity, handles loads well and lowers wear nicely. Thought going to this 0w30 Amsoil was a good move is there something wrong with it??? I only want the best in my car and am willing to pay for it just would like to know.

The LS7 is a 4.00 stroke 4.125 bore small block its the engine currently run in GMs Z06 vette, except mine is fully built with forged internals balnced and blueprinted to handle more power. It is basically just a stroked and bored small block LS1. Redline I shift at is 7200 rpms and like I said its my baby hahaha so want its blood to be as pure and strong as I can make it.

I do run the mobil 1 filter seems to me to be a great oil filter. I dont ever run my oil longer than 2500 to 3000 miles while I know its a waste of money it makes me feel better. Even if a reg ole dino oil would do a great job for such a short period, Id still rather have the best of the best in my car at all times.

Last edited:
Well, the HDEO's (heavy duty engine oils; diesel oils) seem to give EXTREMELY good UOA's. Delvac 1 is regarded as one of the best. M1 TDT 5w40 is basically the same thing. WICKED additive package, certified and approved out the wazoo......

The 0w30 SSO seems to be quite popular, but I haven't seen anything quite the calibre of your engine running it; It's mostly the guys with the Honda and Toyota's trying to get the max fuel economy and stuff running it........

5W-40 TDT is my recommendation now. After a second thought the add pack is alot better and more suited to your needs. This is also the first thread where I've seen an add pack called Wicked. I have to say it's a fair description.

I have heard of the delvac but dont know what the M1 TDT is is that a mobil 1 product???? If so I would go out and get it and put it tomarrow and just drain the new amsoil without using it. Is the delvac 1 5/40 synthetic??? If so is the same one I have seen at walmart next to the rotella T synthetic?? Thansk guys for all your help you guys are truely awesome

Delvac 1 5w40 is a synthetic heavy duty diesel oil.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 is basically the exact same oil.

The former is NOT available at Walmart, but can be ordered through many transport supply places in a 4x4.

The latter IS available at Walmart. I'm currently stocking up on it.

Originally Posted By: beast
thank you Im running out to get some now and put it in

Don't waste the Amsoil. It's good oil. If you've got another vehicle that is better suited for the 0w30, you could always put it in that. Would be tragic to waste it......

Yeah since it is basically used for 5 mins I am gunna put it in my wifes 05 honda element.

Ok went to walmart since I cant sleep anyway and they do not have the M1 TDT or the Delvac but what they did have is the Rotella T 5W40 synthetic oil for diesels. I grabbed it but am holding off too hear if its just as good I hear great thing about rotella T but dont know about their 5w40 synthetics is it on par with the 2 you suggested???

It's a great oil. I am VERY surprised they didn't have the jugs of the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil!

You'll be fine with the Rotella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back