Best oil for my BMW m240i (B58)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madeej11

However we know that there are cheap VI improvers and top shelf ones which are less prone to breakdown. In this case I would say you get what you pay for.

I'm no expert, but with different VII's you can often get caught between a rock and a hard place. Some VII are more efficient (bigger VI change for less polymer load), but these tend to be more shear prone. While the more shear stable VII tend be be less efficient and so require a heavier dose for the same effect.

More polymers that are more stable or less polymers that are less stable ?

If the polymer VII load is a contributor to deposits, the question could be phrased more shear stability or less deposit formation ?

Originally Posted by BucDan
Thanks for the read. Didn't know GTL is that much better than the rest of the Group 3 oils. Could GTL come close to Group 4 standards without being a Group 4 oil?

That's not the purpose of API 1509 Appendix E. Yes it gives relative performance characteristics between Groups I, II and III but not between those and Groups IV and V. API 1509 Appendix E is for the interchange of like base stocks, not interchange between groups. The finished oil performance is what applies apply after that.

Originally Posted by BucDan
Originally Posted by adams355
This is why GTL base oils are very good.

Some reading if interested, mainly just for pictures lol
http://gasprocessingnews.com/featur...es-clean-base-oils-from-natural-gas.aspx

Thanks for the read. Didn't know GTL is that much better than the rest of the Group 3 oils. Could GTL come close to Group 4 standards without being a Group 4 oil?

Final product is what matters. Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 was Group III but had excellent performance numbers, far better than pretty much any oil in C3 category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back