Best oil for high boost turbo car?

Kind of a side question.....but does running a diesel rated 5w-40 oil like T6 have any advantages vs. a car oil like M1 5w-40?

Kind of a side question.....but does running a diesel rated 5w-40 oil like T6 have any advantages vs. a car oil like M1 5w-40?
In most cases it's going to have a higher HTHS and be more resistant to shear. At least as long as you are talking about mainstream products.

In your application, no. M1 FS Euro 5W-40 would be an all around better fit than Rotella T6 5W-40.

That said, they both pale in comparison to something like HPL BAS 5W-40 which is a series of oil that's designed exactly for modified applications like yours and has years of testing behind it in Sprint, Pro Stock, Pro Mod, and Outlaw racing engines.

✓ High boost
✓ High heat
✓ Alcohol

Can you please give me some details on why the M1 Euro 5w-40 is better than the T6 5w-40 ? Just trying to learn something....

Can you please give me some details on why the M1 Euro 5w-40 is better than the T6 5w-40 ? Just trying to learn something....

Higher calcium-based detergent content and higher starting TBN that will be beneficial for water and fuel dilution from E85. It also contains a small amount of AN which helps with friction reduction and high temperature stability, as well as more boron-based EP.

Higher calcium-based detergent content and higher starting TBN that will be beneficial for water and fuel dilution from E85. It also contains a small amount of AN which helps with friction reduction and high temperature stability, as well as more boron-based EP.
Thanks for the info! I always thought the diesel oils were better because they were "heavy duty". I guess not!

Thanks for the info! I always thought the diesel oils were better because they were "heavy duty". I guess not!

They are "heavy duty" in the sense that they tend to take higher loads such as a diesel at full boost at 2000 rpm. They usually have a higher KV100 and HTHS, for a given oil grade, like RooflessVW mentioned above. Can it hold up to a alky engine at 7000 rpm? Sure, but there's better oils for that job.

I still recommend going with the HPL BAS 5W-40 I linked above. I have a 0W-12 variant of that oil in my drag car which runs on E85.

If looking for the generic off the shelf stuff then Pennzoil Ultra has the super low noack ~5% differentiating factor due to the stout GTL base.

This in theory should excel in deposit control which is important with turbocharged engines.

If looking for the generic off the shelf stuff then Pennzoil Ultra has the super low noack ~5% differentiating factor due to the stout GTL base.

This in theory should excel in deposit control which is important with turbocharged engines.
Which Pennzoil Platinum Ultra meets even the minimum requirements for a stock BMW N54?

If I may say, you should change oil more often (with the one that meets your car specs) rather than looking for ideal oil 😀
Perhaps your advice would be relevant if the car was factory stock.

In most cases it's going to have a higher HTHS and be more resistant to shear. At least as long as you are talking about mainstream products.

Wanted to correct my statement. I misread the question as being about the common M1 FS 0W-40 vs T6 5W-40.

Wanted to correct my statement. I misread the question as being about the common M1 FS 0W-40 vs T6 5W-40.
So what your are saying that if given the choice of M1 0w-40 vs. T6 5w-40......the T6 is still the better choice...right?

So what your are saying that if given the choice of M1 0w-40 vs. T6 5w-40......the T6 is still the better choice...right?
The T6 will have a higher HTHS and will have less permanent shear so the HTHS should hold up better in an application with high load, high rpm and high heat (Like a hig boost car in 40 minute sessions at Road Atlanta). The M1 0W-40 might be my preference for the same car in street use with a longer.drain interval, lower average loading and lower oil temps.

The T6 will have a higher HTHS and will have less permanent shear so the HTHS should hold up better in an application with high load, high rpm and high heat (Like a hig boost car in 40 minute sessions at Road Atlanta). The M1 0W-40 might be my preference for the same car in street use with a longer.drain interval, lower average loading and lower oil temps.

Note the use of E85 as that's an important factor here that leans more to M1 FS 0W-40 in both scenarios you mentioned.

In this case, I'd concentrate on shear stability, actual viscosity and HTHS. The benefits of additional additives don't mean much if the rod bearings take a pounding due to inadequate film strength. My suggestion to avoid 0W anything stands. VII's are not ideal for highly stressed applications.

If I remember correctly, both M1 5W-40 and T6 5W-40 have an HTHS of 3.8. I'd like to see your engine using an oil with an HTHS over 4.0.

Last edited:
In this case, I'd concentrate on shear stability, actual viscosity and HTHS. The benefits of additional additives don't mean much if the rod bearings take a pounding due to inadequate film strength. My suggestion to avoid 0W anything stands. VII's are not ideal for highly stressed applications.
Film thickness, not film strength.

Back