Best oil filter in Australia ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pureones are nice, but super cheap stopped stocking them. Got the last one for $8 (Toyota OEM is $22 from dealer)

Currently using a valvoline... dodgy... making me a bit nervous but it'll be fine.

Which WIX filter are you using, and is it the V6 or V8 model? I help a friend of mine, who has a '03 Australian-sourced Chevrolet Lumina with a 3.8L V6, do oil changes. It's basically a VY Holden Commodore in disguise. I used to use a WIX 51040. If the part number you use is different, might want to see if this one is in stock.

The Purolator PL10111 is a decent filter for this application as well.

Yes. Purolator One i have used before. but people mentioned flow is restricted due to its excellent filtering ??? The WIX part is 51040. Last one i can get for the VX v6 Calais v6. Thanks guys.

Quote:
but people mentioned flow is restricted due to its excellent filtering ???

Could surely be an issue if you're not weened off of 40w-70
LOL.gif

In reality, the bypass mechanism will limit the apparent resistance of the filter under any and all circumstances. That and the relief valve on the pump. All that can be altered is the amount of filtered oil.

I wouldn't imagine flow restriction being a problem, as Gary explained. Personally, I would stick to that filter. But if it bothers you, you can use an ACDelco filter in its place.

By the way. check to see if a WIX 51036 filter is available in place of the 51040. This is an alternative part number you can use, albeit a bit longer.

I don't think that they're in business anymore, but there was a dandy designed filter in Oz. It had an ADFV as well as an ADBV. I don't recall the name, but one of the Oz contingent showed it to me.

Quote:
At $31.30 Australian dollars, is this worth using ?

Is that the retail price ..list price? How's your annual mileage/kilometerage? How much do the upper tier alternatives compare in price ..what are they ..and how long do you keep them in service?

Not accounting for the Oz$ difference ..I'd say that's retail. I don't see them offering a Preferred Customer program there. You might inquire. The dealer can sell it to you for any price that he wants ..so if you can get with him direct you may be able to shave that a bit.

I've used the smallest 3/4-16 thread filter for 32kkm and it still had life left in it. That was in a, at the time, 30kkm/year vehicle ..so per mile/km loading was extremely low.

Was a shame now that Supercheap don't stock the PureONEs anymore. Its hard to get a decent filter! I've almost gone through my stash when I picked up a few when they had their 20% storewide sales.

Seems Amsoil is the way to go. $30 for a filter though, gosh its getting pretty expensive huh. I wish M1 sold their filters down here!

I'll check my Amsoil policies on the matter, but it would be hard to make any savings of merit to ship them to you. You only get so many pounds to a minimum shipment. A fellow member sent something to me from Oz, It wasn't bad with the exchange rate from my end given that it was (sort of) a gift coming my way along with some trinkets, but to make a commerce exchange ..even as a "favor", so to speak, it's probably going to be a cumbersome thing for a few $$ savings.

I had one German member explore the deal with oil and filters since they're very expensive domestically in Germany. We managed to figure some savings at my cost (no mark up and the handling all done free of charge - that is, I'd only add to my total volume of sales and not profit from THAT sale) and it still amounted to a lot of hassle for a few $$ savings.

I mean, the numbers worked, but no one could make a living at it doing it full time under the current costs structures that are the most sensible.

I would think the Donaldson P550047 would be available there. Among others it is the equiv. of the GM 25010792. It is used on at least 300 GM engines and a few dozen Jeeps.
Theoretically retails for about $6.50 US (at least in the Americas).

Went into Caterpillar/William Adams today to pick up a oil test kit (need to see how my possible coolant leak is going) and noticed the Caterpillar Oil filters. Stangely enough, waitng for the kit, i saw a caterpillar flushing type machine, not sure what its for and noticed 2 large (over 150mm) Donaldson filters hanging off it. I may be able to track Donaldson filters through Caterpillar. I may quote them that part no. but i am sure thye may only have filters here for plant and machinery.

Amsoil, K&N and Ac-Delco(We still have old design here)may be the go. GM filters here are made in Poland, Ryco in China instead of South Africa, not so sure about them. We have some new type of filter as well, Drift sold in Autobarn. Has a built in internal magnet.

The CAT filters in the US are made in a plant in Illinois that is a 50/50 joint venture with Donaldson and CAT.

Start out here for your supply
http://www.donaldsonfilters.com.au/

http://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au/part_info.php?partno=P550047

Customer Service

Our friendly and helpful customer service team can be reached between 8am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday on:

(02) 4350 2033.

They can help you with inquiries relating to product availability, product application, and where to buy. Orders can be faxed to (02) 4351 3849, or emailed to [email protected]

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Do oil filters in Australia use left hand threads?

No, they rotate the car in the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back