Best oil filter for Canadians

Status
Not open for further replies.
At $6.47, I would certainly consider buying it from them. At the first UAP I called, I asked if the prices they quote are "every day low prices", and the guy said yes, same year round.

Second place, first thing she asked was from what company I was calling...

So they are probably competitive if you can crack the code on how to get the company rebates.

quote:

Originally posted by Minou:
At $6.47, I would certainly consider buying it from them. At the first UAP I called, I asked if the prices they quote are "every day low prices", and the guy said yes, same year round.

So they are probably competitive if you can crack the code on how to get the company rebates.

The owner of a local autoparts store told me that he will definitely provide a better price when you visit him in person than he will quote over the telephone. (Sometimes competitors, e.g other autoparts stores and garages phone around checking prices.)

Toyota filters in the U.S. are made by Denso. Years ago Denso and Purolator had a joint venture filter factory in Tennessee, but Purolator is now out of that.

WIX makes or labels multiple quality lines of filters, as do Purolator, Baldwin/Hastings, Fram, and just about all filter makers. Only NAPA-Gold or WIX (& Carquest?) are top line. They may re-brand others of their top line filters, also.

Ken

I just opened up a blue writing CarQuest WIX filter that served me all winter and it was fine. This filter had 12,500 km on it running Rotella 0w40 and I do not wait for the VW diesel engine to warm up. I give it a few seconds to let the oil light turn off and then I'm rolling. Once the lifters shut up I get on the accelerator at a reasonable rate.
shocked.gif
I use my car to deliver pizza so it has a lot of
Drive it like you stole it and don't complain when it breaks.
cheers.gif

Cheers, Steve

I get my Baldwins from Acklands-Grainger here in Ottawa. They run for about $ 6.00 ea. Sometimes they have to order them in, as they are a "fleet" supply store. It takes about a day so I get 'em a couple at a time.
grin.gif

Bry
canada.gif

I didn't include Baldwin oil filter opinions in my original posting, but for those of you considering them, there might be manufacturing problems with these filters. It seems that the center tube might be cut too short in some of their filters, resulting in unsupported filter media that could collapse under pressure. There is a good discussion on the subject here:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001921

It has been difficult to find design information with photos, showing the construction of the filter. Some photos can be seen here:

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/baldwin-b1428.htm

I believe that the filter pictured in the link above doesn't have a by-pass present (some engines have an internal by-pass before the filter, from what I have read, so the filter construction is engine-specific).

Does anyone have a link with photos of a Baldwin filter with a by-pass? Please post the link if you do.

I just changed my oil last Saturday. I still have the Baldwin B43-S at home. This Sat I guess I will have to hack saw the thing open and have a look. More curosity than anything else.

Bry
canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Minou:

Scoop!
I cracked the code...

To make a long story short, I will get 3 Napa Gold 1396 for $6.18 ea. 1394 is at $7.45...

I remember when my father (was a mechanic) had his network of "friendly" auto parts. But I went through my brother who works for a very big (american) construction company. He just ordered my filters through their "buyer" with the company's account at one of the 2 UAP outlets I had called earlier this week... In addition, they will be delivered to my brother's work place for free!

Keep the faith. All is not lost.

Also funny that the 1/2in. longer 1396 is much cheaper than the small (OEM size) 1394.

That's excellent, Minou - I'm happy that you were finally able to locate a source for the filter at a reasonable price.

Also to consider:

I have read that going with an oversized filter can sometimes be a bad thing, should the extra length cause the filter to be too close to a source of heat, such as the manifold. On my Toyota Matrix, the oil filter screws on at the underside of the engine, so heat is not an issue. Be sure to take a look to see if there might be any problems. I should have mentioned this in my previous posting (where I recommended the oversized filter), but I forgot.

The repair shop that maintains my mustang uses Hastings filters. What's their quality like? I never see any buzz about them. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back