Best oil filter for a 2008 toyota sienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Purolators usually have more than most other aftermarket brands.

Did you see the picture above? We are talking a specific filter for a specific application and not the "usual" scenario.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Purolators usually have more than most other aftermarket brands.

Did you see the picture above? We are talking a specific filter for a specific application and not the "usual" scenario.

Yes, so did you measure the media area of both to compare? Even in a cartridge filer application, the number and depth of the pleats (which defines the media area) can vary from filter brand to brand.

On a side note, I don't own any vehicles that use a cartridge filter, but based on what I see posted on this chat board it does seem that not all cartridge filter brands fit the same in a specific engine. This is just another factor involved with choosing a good cartridge oil filter for your application.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Good ol Toyota OEM, very practical they can double as a no kill butterfly net.

ya, right!

Explain this:

purolator1.jpg

purolator2.jpg

Pureone on the left. OEM on the right.

I love BITOG, where most don't know what they are talking about.

That was a JOKE and clarified as such by a following serious post. I was referring to Toyota's OEM known abysmal 50% efficiency rating. Do you know what you are talking about? You sure don't know what I'm talking about.

Other posters clearly got it maybe in the future I'll just be sure to explain any jokes to be sure you get them...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: billpace1956
Hello! I'm new to this website and find it very interesting. I am wondering about what oil filter might be the best one for my 2008 Toyota sienna. I now use a M1C-251 filter. I use M1ep 5w-30 for 12,500 miles. I did a UOA on it with Blackstone labs and they said the oil could go 14,000 miles. Would the Fram Ultra be be a better choice because it might be a cheaper price with a larger capacity for gunk. I pay 17.50 per filter now on Amazon.

Welcome to the site!

There is no "best" filter, or oil, or anything else, unless you have nearly unlimited resources to clearly and accurately test the principal and alternative products in a large series of tests.

There are, however, many great filters that would easily go to 15k miles. WixXP, Napa Plat, M1, high-end Bosch, Ultra, etc. You will be "best" served to find the least cost one of those. It seems the Ultra is a very cost effective option right now at Wallyworld, so at least review that before making your final choice; will certainly be well less than the $17 you're paying for the current filter!

Run both the lube and filter out to 15k+ miles, which is probably the low end of even hoping to find a ROI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Good ol Toyota OEM, very practical they can double as a no kill butterfly net.

ya, right!

Explain this:

purolator1.jpg

purolator2.jpg

Pureone on the left. OEM on the right.

I love BITOG, where most don't know what they are talking about.

To address the OP, first, if you plan on running the OE prescribed oil change interval (OCI), you won't do wrong with the OE filter but many aftermarket filters are equally as good. Personally, I would (and do) opt for higher efficiency filters on my own equipment (not Toyota) if I can find the filters reasonably priced. I run extended OCIs and better filtration is a way to help the oil last longer in service.

To address the nonsensical post from friendly_jacek: What's the context on this? Great pic of a crushed/collapsed canister filter but that's all it is. Period. One picture of one filter, whose exact circumstances we don't know, should not be believed nor taken as evidence of a general or widespread problem. The most likely scenario is that the filter was crushed in the canister with improper installation. That could also be a fitment issue, certainly, which could be a manufacturing problem but unless you got about a thousand more pics like this, you aren't making much of a point towards claiming a widespread problem with Puro filters... or any other brand.

Toyota and Honda's clinging to a very low efficiency rating makes little sense to me. I see no particular advantage, nor have I heard any rational technical explanations for it. But in the end it doesn't seem to matter if you follow the OE maintenance schedule.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Toyota and Honda's clinging to a very low efficiency rating makes little sense to me. I see no particular advantage, nor have I heard any rational technical explanations for it. But in the end it doesn't seem to matter if you follow the OE maintenance schedule.

Exactly, as we've disucssed before.

This is somewhat the corollary to the whole "must use the best filter possible" mantra.

Honda and Toyota, even when maintained with mediocre OEM filters, are known for making engines that last a LONG time (generally). So how necessary are super premium filters?

UOAs show us that there is just about zero statistical correlation between wear and filter selection once a minimum safe threshold is selected and maintained.
Annecdotal evidence of tens-of-millions of high-mileage Hondas and Toyotas on the road would speak to this as well.

Premium filters that can greatly extend the OCI are tools for fiscal return.
But if you simply stick to OEM schedules with products (lube and filters) at least as good as OEM, then the rest is moot.

Using a "better" filter will never hurt your engine. But it can certainly hurt your wallet, because greater cost with no real-world proven ability to shift wear tangibly in the lifecycle of the equipment results in a lower ROI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back