Best oil drain valve? Fumoco vs others?

I had a Fumoto valve on my accord, did the job ok, although drain a little slower.

I wanted to try the Valvo-max (same as Stahlbus) just because I thought it was cool and a great idea.

Out of the two, I like the Fumoto better. I have to jack the car up about 6 inches or so for either one, but the Fumoto one is easier and quicker for me to just jack it up, reach under, remove the safety clip and flip the valve open.

The first time using the Valvo max as I was screwing the cap with hose on, the hose would turn with the cap as I screwed it on. I had to make sure it was always either in the pan or pointing towards the pan to make sure when it started flowing it would go in the pan. Maybe if I was up on ramps or a lift and was high enough to have the hose in an empty 5qt container it may have worked better.

I think the Valvo max looks better but I’m probably going back to the Fumoto or the stock drain plug next oil change.

The first time using the Valvo max as I was screwing the cap with hose on, the hose would turn with the cap as I screwed it on. I had to make sure it was always either in the pan or pointing towards the pan to make sure when it started flowing it would go in the pan. Maybe if I was up on ramps or a lift and was high enough to have the hose in an empty 5qt container it may have worked better.

I think the Valvo max looks better but I’m probably going back to the Fumoto or the stock drain plug next oil change.
I like the Stahlbus because the drain adapter uses a simple 1/4 turn.

I'm in the don't use a drain valve crowd. They are super convenient but imagine running over a stick or getting the perfect money shot to the valve lever letting oil loose it all over the highway.
by the design of the valve, that situation is darn near impossible..

At that point there’s going to be more damage than just the valve… front bumper, the oil pan itself, heck even the transmission pan.

Fumoto has their little lock clip if you’re that worried, not to mention the lever itself is spring loaded and requires some force to push up and over. Valvomax and Stahlbus use a valve that requires a cap to push the valve which is internal to the valve body, sort of like the schrader valve on your tires.
Exactly!! People come up with all sorts of reasons (excuses) to not get one.

If you want one get it, if you don’t, then dont

I tried Fumoto but found it was too low and also did not do a complete drain. I went with a Valvomax, it has a low profile, a safety cap and is all stainless steel. It does do a complete drain. It is also made in the USA, owned and made by veterans. The Stahlbus is the german version but not stainless and more expensive, it performs the same but not any better or worse.
What is your definition of a complete drain?

I removed my Valvomax after an oil change today to put my Fumoto valve back on. When I removed the valve some more oil came out, maybe an ounce or less ( wish I had put another drain pan under and measured it but didn’t think about it at the time). Is that considered a complete drain?

Having the Valvomax and Fumoto side by side, the threaded end that screws in is the same length on my two valves so I would think the same amount (minuscule) would remain regardless does of which one is installed

When I put 4.5 qts in and get 4.25 out plus the oil trapped in the filter I call that compete enough, I am not measuring down to the ounce, that is a bit over the top IMO, a couple of ounces make no difference. The last car I used the Fumoto on left almost half a qt in the pan, it probably comes down to the pan threads but no matter I don't like them so I don't use them, if you like it use it, your car and your money.

Unless you have tight access and oil gets all over the place and planning on doing uoas. Theres no purpose for those valves. I had one on my 2002 Tacoma for 7 years with no issues. As a rule of thumb when ever installing a bolt or nut I thread it hand tight back it off and tighten it again and torque it. I haven’t cross threaded any fasteners. That’s the aircraft mechanic in me. Either vehicle now doesn’t use one.

When I put 4.5 qts in and get 4.25 out plus the oil trapped in the filter I call that compete enough, I am not measuring down to the ounce, that is a bit over the top IMO, a couple of ounces make no difference. The last car I used the Fumoto on left almost half a qt in the pan, it probably comes down to the pan threads but no matter I don't like them so I don't use them, if you like it use it, your car and your money.
10-4.

Great to live in America where we have choices

Unless you have tight access and oil gets all over the place and planning on doing uoas. Theres no purpose for those valves. I had one on my 2002 Tacoma for 7 years with no issues. As a rule of thumb when ever installing a bolt or nut I thread it hand tight back it off and tighten it again and torque it. I haven’t cross threaded any fasteners. That’s the aircraft mechanic in me. Either vehicle now doesn’t use one.
Or you just want the sheer convenience of it… no tools required on my truck, I don’t even have to jack it up or put it on ramps, just crawl under the passenger side door and I’m done.

I have a car that has the oil drain plug too close to a cross member, remove the plug and its a mess, it also has a prior to me owning it a helicoil because some ham fisted stripped it. The Valvomax works great, there is just enough room to get the drain hose on.
It is so convenient not having to use a drain pan just let it go into a 5qt jug, remove the hose and its done.

Back