Best oil Catch Can???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are lots to choose from for oil catch cans... but, I'd like to rig up one with a valve on the bottom where I can reach in an manually push a lever (don't want a twist setup to have to unscrew, but some sort of valve that has a lever that can be pushed to open it) to drain the catch can that also has space to clamp a hose on to.

That way, I can run a hose from the catch can down towards the ground so I can push the lever and drain the catch can into a pan below the truck (I'm doing this on a full size Chevy truck with a 5.3L engine)

Anybody seen a setup like this for sale?
(I can provide the drainage hose)

Ideally you want it draining back into the oil pan not a cup or a pan on the ground. There are a few Euro cars that use this system, you may be able to fab something up using a similar design.
This is the latest generation...

[Linked Image]

This is an old system but it still worked well, VW used a similar setup..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The hose you see hanging down from the container under the hoses #16 goes into the oil pan.

If smog laws do not prevent you from modifying emissions control systems, then look for a moroso exhaust extractor from jegs - theyre maintenance free, fit and forget, keeps your intake tract SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner than any other permutation of the catch can/pcv, and improves horsepower.
More power and less maintenance ...

I have a Moroso can on my 5.3 Suburban. Works perfectly. It has a 90 degree valve on the bottom for draining.

Originally Posted by Trav
Ideally you want it draining back into the oil pan not a cup or a pan on the ground. There are a few Euro cars that use this system, you may be able to fab something up using a similar design.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The hose you see hanging down from the container under the hoses #16 goes into the oil pan.

Personal,y I wouldn't want the contents of a can going back into my oil pan, have you seen some of the stuff you catch in the can? A lot of water mixed with oil...don't want it going back into that sump. Heck, I don't think half of it could flow through a tube or line to get to the sump. This stuff is thick and nasty. Just cleaning outhe can takes effort when that condensation mixes with that oil.

Originally Posted by Olas
If smog laws do not prevent you from modifying emissions control systems, then look for a moroso exhaust extractor from jegs - theyre maintenance free, fit and forget, keeps your intake tract SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner than any other permutation of the catch can/pcv, and improves horsepower.
More power and less maintenance ...

How about a link?

Does this use exhaust flow to create a scavenge vacuum keeping all vapors out of the intake completely? Backfire protected

The can I made wasn't sophisticated at all, but worked good. The emphasis was put on a very long inlet hose to provide maximum condensation of fume and vapor. The can was placed in the coolest place I could find in the engine bay to further cool and help things become liquid. The downside for me was the drain was too small, so I had to flush the sludge out when draining.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by Trav

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Personal,y I wouldn't want the contents of a can going back into my oil pan, have you seen some of the stuff you catch in the can? A lot of water mixed with oil...don't want it going back into that sump. Heck, I don't think half of it could flow through a tube or line to get to the sump. This stuff is thick and nasty. Just cleaning outhe can takes effort when that condensation mixes with that oil.

when it going back in the pan continuously its not an issue, when the oil gets hot the contaminants burn off quickly. Its not like it waits till there is a ounce or two then dumps it.
The vast majority of aftermarket "catch cans" are worthless garbage anyway and not something I would waste 10c or 10 seconds labor on.

last year i wanted a catch can. i took it to a good mech. after 20 min he came back and said that my 2016 Frontier had a good one built in from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back