Best mower for me for less than $400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could just cut the grass more frequently, so its lot as long when you're cutting it...it'll save you the purchase money!

Those are all good suggestions however the deck has got some holes in it from the Fl sand beating it up! The rest of the drive train would not be able to handle the extra power.

Holes in the DECK?
WOW.
You do need a new mower. Those holes are probably adding to drag and messing up the turbulance feature that helps with mulching.

Buy the best you can afford. There really is a considerable difference between a $500 mower at Home Depot and the $1000 Toro or Honda at a Commercial sales location.
I can't afford the $1000 mower, but I know if I could with what service it could and would see I would probably be giving it to my grandchildren. They are THAT well built.

Good luck in your search, and keep us informed. Personally I like the "shopping Pawn Shops" idea.

That Toro is a great mower, even with the Briggs engine.
Check the Toro and Lawn Boy web sites out; make a list and hit the discount stores and the big box lumber yards (for lack of a better definition).
Dealers for those will often work with you; if they'll take your old clunker in as trade, you can save $25 (maybe).
As I pointed out above, a local hardware store had last year's models marked down. Fleet/Farm (mid west) has last year Husqvarnas for $300 (self propelled).

if you dont mind buying used or repaired, i would highly advise doing so. a friend of mine recently bought a rebuilt (im not sure what was wrong with it, he bought it from a mower repair shop) Honda mower, very new, SOHC motor... $150. the thing doesn't even have a choke, just one pull and it fires up and runs like a top. you can get just as much product for less money when buying used. just a thought.

Last edited:
I dont mind buying used at all. The last 2 mowers I have had were used and each gave me a couple years of pretty good service. I am looking at some places nears me for used ones. However at this time if I dont find a good commercial used mower I am leaning towards the Toro Super recycler. From the research I have done online it will do what I want. However it will cost me a little more.

I have the Toro Recycler Personal Pace RWD w/ 6.75 B&S.

It was retail $380 last year. I picked it up for $250-255 with tax from Home Depot. It was a return and used only once.

I would recommend this mower.

I was about to buy a $360 Snapper RWD from Sears. That would be my second recommendation.

It had a 6.75 B&S also, and had a deck hight adjuster system that dropped or raised the deck with just the turn of one handle. My friend who used to own a Lawn Service swore buy Snapper walk behind mowers for their simple self-propel systems.

From the research I did on Craftsman mowers in the $300-400 range last year when I bought my mower, they were not up to par witht the Toro's or Snapper's in the same price range.

Lawnboy is now owned by Toro, so you are paying for the name now.

My father bought a Husqvarna after his 10 year old Lawn Boy died. He like it, though it is a heavier mower compared to the competion. He cuts very thick St Augustine.

Let us know what you get.

Where in Florida are you? I am in Bradenton and I mow thick St. Augustine every week with an old worn out 1985 Toro 2-stroke.

You need to mow more often. It's as simple as that.

Thank you all. I am in Orlando. I know I should mow more and that would solve my problems. However with my job I am at work for 13 hours a day. So those days are usually out and then during our rainy season it might be totally wet on my days off. So sometimes it just works out that it will go 2 weeks before a cut. Islandvic I am mostly likely going to go with the Toro. Thanks for your comments and I will post when I get it. Will probably be a month or 2.

I have had a $129 Weed Eater mower from Wally World with a 4.75hp B&S engine for 3 years. I've had to cut the yard after being gone on deployments and I mean I was cutting down small trees with this thing.

I was a Drill Sergeant for two of those years and I hear ya about wishing you could mow more often, like I said three years on the cheapy mower and it is still running strong despite everything be thrown at it, super dusty to super thick and wet. Also I always mulch with it.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Consumer Reports cites the follwing as "CR Best Buys" in your price range:

Toro Recycler 20330 (for about $320)

Toro Recycler 20332 that will set you back about $390 (but I think I saw one at Home Depot for about $350).

Craftsman 37435 for about $300 was a good all around performer...

The Toro Recycler 20333 was rated #2 overall, behind a Honda HRX2172HXA (about $800), but for HALF the price at $420!

Here's a quick summary of that report:
http://www.hearingreview.com/press_release.asp?id=10224783

I'm getting ready to buy the Toro as well... just not sure yet if I'll get the 20332 or the 20330. The 20330 is FWD with variable speed drive. The 20332 is RWD with personal pace. Having never owned a self-propelled mower, I'm not sure what the actual benefit of personal pace is.

My local Ace Hardware has the 20330 for under $300. The 20332 is $369.

I like the personal pace drive.
The 'super' recycler is the top of the line but a lot more expensive; I also prefer the alloy deck over the steel.

Late to this thread I realize but it sounds like your governor isn't working right. When you first hit the grass you should hear the throttle open and the machine get louder if not faster. If you take the starter rope cover off you should see the fan and paddle... make sure there isn't grass stuffed in various cooling fins and ports and areas so the air blows the right way. Work the paddle and make sure it's not frozen on its pivot.

I am not familiar with the larger 5 hp briggs but on the little mowers you can remove the air cleaner and watch the governor open and close the throttle while it's running.

If nothing else you could use it as a backup to keep your new mower honest.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
The Briggs and Stratton will last as long as you maintain it, in a non-commercial application...

I've had lots of carb problems with B&S. I went with Honda on my latest mower, very happy. GCV160 engine, mulcher, 3 speed self propelled, about $375 in 2006.

[edit] oh and St Augustine grass is not nearly as difficult to cut as the fineblade stuff they have in the Pacific Northwest where I grew up. It rains so much, you have no choice but to break down and cut it while it's wet. I never had a mower as a child that wouldn't bog down on the longer wet grass. Of course, the first one was a non-power one. I had to take a running start with that one.

Last edited:
take what consumer diaper report says with a grain of salt.
mower has only so much power. so it will slow down a bit for really tall grass.
good luck

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I got a Troybilt with the 6.5 B&S at Lowes several years ago for around $225. It's been a good performer and I've yet to bog it down in tall grass, wet grass or piled up leaves. It sounds to me like you need a few more hp to tackle your job.

I have had this same mower since 2004. Change the oil and plug every year. Use to blow a puff of smoke at startup, until I switched to Amsoil, no more smoke.

Also, I switched from Champion plugs to Autolite and it seems to run better or it could be in my head.

My neighbor bought the same mower, the same week I did. He has never changed the oil or plug. He never even checks the oil. Doesn't treat or run out the gas at the end of the season. It still starts every week.

Overall, a great mower for $225!

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I got a Troybilt with the 6.5 B&S at Lowes several years ago for around $225. It's been a good performer and I've yet to bog it down in tall grass, wet grass or piled up leaves. It sounds to me like you need a few more hp to tackle your job.

I bought this same mower a few years ago at lowes. It has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back