Best method for using Redline SI-1

Hi All,

I have a car with 30k miles on the clock. I have ordered a bottle of redline SI-1.

I know my tank is only about 45 litres (10 gallons). So I was wondering, would I be best pouring half in a tank and then running that and then doing the same again with the other half, or would you guys say to just put the whole bottle in one full tank?

Cheers :D

Didn't need sarky comments. :ROFLMAO: Was looking at it as the website I bought it off has slightly different instructions

"Dosage: 1 (443ml) bottle treats 100 Gallons (378.54 Litres) of petrol"

I also thought that perhaps being a lower millage car, it'd do a better job not overdosing it but running it for a longer period.

Didn't need sarky comments. :ROFLMAO: Was looking at it as the website I bought it off has slightly different instructions

I also thought that perhaps being a lower millage car, it'd do a better job not overdosing it but running it for a longer period.
I wouldn't overdose it either.

I'd add the whole bottle, then maybe keep refilling the tank once you reach half full. maintenance dosing shouldn't really be needed anymore, I think that was more of a thing before top tier fuel was widely available, just use SI-1 or techron every once and a while and use top tier gas the rest of the time.

Go to gas station, dump full bottle of SI-1/techron/BG44k/3m/.... to the tank, fill 'er up and run it until almost empty. Pretty much the same for all bottles of FI cleaners added to the tank.

Lets see what Red Line says:
Directions: Add entire bottle to fuel tank for quick cleanup of fuel system. For best results, use full bottle for initial fill into nearly empty tank and refuel up to 20 gallons of gasoline/petrol. For regular maintenance, use half bottle every 1,500 miles. ADD BEFORE FILLING TANK.

Use one bottle per tank for most effective treatment, cleans to nearly 100% efficiency in one treatment

Attachments

• SI-1_PROD_INFO.pdf
    271.5 KB · Views: 128
  • old data.pdf
    579.9 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: a5m

No snark just read the instructions. No one on BITOG knows more than the MFG. Not even me ! Call them and ask if BITOG posters know more about Redline products than, Redline oil itself. Red Line Synthetic Oil is open for business Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. PST.. Red Line Synthetic Oil 6100 Egret Court Benicia, CA 94510 Phone: (707) 745-6100 or (800) 624-7958 Fax: (707) 745-3214. Toll free ,,, call then and ask . they are nice people.

Last edited:
I know the directions have changes since I used it last. I remember it said to change your oil soon after now I don't see that on their site. I also wonder if the UK may have different directions than here in the US.

I know the directions have changes since I used it last. I remember it said to change your oil soon after now I don't see that on their site. I also wonder if the UK may have different directions than here in the US.

The directions on the bottle have changed and don’t include a maintenance dose. I would have no issue recommending the maintenance dose even if Red Line no longer does.

Reactions: a5m

Sorry if I came off that way, I wasn't trying to be. I did it per the directions except 1 whole bottle before an oil change, then another whole second bottle before the next oil change and following up per instructions.

Cheers all. I ended up bunging the hole bottle in. Mostly because of what you lot said, partly because I didn't want it leaking in my car on the way back if it was still half full! Time will tell if it makes any difference to a car with only 29k miles on the clock! 😁

The additive will work but and improvement? Is there a problem? The high dose of the cleaner won't kill anything.

Cheers all. I ended up bunging the hole bottle in. Mostly because of what you lot said, partly because I didn't want it leaking in my car on the way back if it was still half full! Time will tell if it makes any difference to a car with only 29k miles on the clock! 😁

Not likely, which is why any method of use won’t matter.

Would it be ok to add a full bottle to approximately 35 gallons of gas? I'm aware of the instructions, but not sure what is okay because first it says add a full bottle to a full tank of gas, of course that could be any amount, and then that one bottle treats up to 100 gallons of gasoline.
Do I hurt anything by not changing the oil after using SI-1? Many seems to change the oil after the treatment.

Edit
Dammit, didn't notice that up to 20 gallons part until now.

Last edited:
Been a while since I used this.

36 gallon tank.
2 bottles of cleaner.

I usually run top tier but not always.

5k OCI change coming up in about 800 miles.

Initially I was going to suggest you split the bottle evenly between two tanks of gas. But I really like the idea of putting the full bottle in one tank of gas (per instructions for initial treatment), running it until the tank is down to 1/2, and then top off the tank with gas which will give you a full tank of half strength (which is still very strong compared to the "maintenance dose" of 1/3-1/6 oz per gallon).

I was of the opinion that a maintenance dose, or good quality top tier fuel, was insufficient to clean injectors.

However, my Jag X-Type did improve markedly once I started using Shell 93. It would idle on 5 cylinders when below freezing. I switched to Shell 93 due to a great many batches of other brand fuels in NY being 87, even when I paid for 93.

The X-Type goes into a semi limp home mode, limiting RPM to 3000 and consumes fuel like crazy, if not operated on 93. A quick scan shows excessive knock events.

The Shell 93 cleared up a long term problem.

I use Techron, SI-1 or VP fuel injector cleaner on my other Jag, the F-Type, to keep from pulling injectors.

Back