BEST LOW COST and smallish pellet stove for my shop?

IF I can't find a free or very low cost wood burner for my shop I will be buying a pellet stove. Doan need a fancy house one. Utilitarian unit. Under $1000 probably not going to happen.

Will most likely wall vent.

IF I can't find a free or very low cost wood burner for my shop I will be buying a pellet stove. Doan need a fancy house one. Utilitarian unit. Under $1000 probably not going to happen.

Curious to see these answers. I like pellet stoves.

I use kerosene heaters for my workspace (2 car garage) a "big" 20K unit and a directed 10K pointed at the place I'm working.
I get tax free kero at the pump.

lowes has decent wood burners

the install might cost as much as the stove

Pellet stove is way more automatic though you are locked into using pellets.

you can always use charcoal in a wood burner too. Walmart had some nasty lump charcoal clearanced to 1$ for 30lb bag.
that lasted a looong time in the cabin woodburner.

I would install it myself for sure.

Ima ask my HVAC neighbor guy to see what he thinks/has. He owns the company.
Insurance on board with this idea? Are your airborne VOCs well controlled?

I'd look around for used units-- they've been making them for 25 years now.

Insurance on board with this idea? Are your airborne VOCs well controlled?

I'd look around for used units-- they've been making them for 25 years now.
They will be free to inspect. The guy shows up every year or three or so. VOCs - well Ima low emission guy. Butt. Yeah will need a decent unit.

Not seen many used, especially during the private parts frostbite season.

I wouldnt buy from amazon.
I liked this one.
if you can get one without it being beat up.
70% of the bad reviews are people saying it was damaged.

Has outside air intake so more efficient.

In these you have ok stuff then $$$$$

If you want to measure your stove in "Ebikes" for pricing
its an Amish area hardware fairly near me.

I wouldnt buy from amazon.
I liked this one.
if you can get one without it being beat up.
70% of the bad reviews are people saying it was damaged.

Has outside air intake so more efficient.

In these you have ok stuff then $$$$$

If you want to measure your stove in "Ebikes" for pricing
its an Amish area hardware fairly near me.
That's not a pellet stove.

But yeah, won't buy from Amazon, just showing what's out there.

Oh so you decided on pellet? I missed it.
You aren't wrong. I'm waffling.

I've been using some nice 240V resistance heaters. They work OK and the e-bill isn't crazy. I'll obviously still have those along with whatever burner.

I don't want a mini split or propane heater. Both would be easy actually, but I just need some fast, decent warmth not dependent on the grid or using more propane. The propane tank is right there and there is even a buried line to the shop.

And it's not a huge deal for me to lay in 10 - 20 bags of pellets.

eww propane..

a mr cool or other cheapo heat pump would be very cost effective vs resistance heat (or propane)

You might need a bag of pellets a day or more.

so while effective for intermittent heat.. it can be quite pricy.

A bag of pellets on a 12k btu setting lasts about a day.

What size is the shop? construction type? insulation?

eww propane..

a mr cool or other cheapo heat pump would be very cost effective vs resistance heat (or propane)

You might need a bag of pellets a day or more.

so while effective for intermittent heat.. it can be quite pricy.

A bag of pellets on a 12k btu setting lasts about a day.

What size is the shop? construction type? insulation?
Nothing wrong with propane. Burns hot, great for cooking and smart controls not crazy expensive. I LOVE our dual fuel house system. Even the wife's garage stays OK.

Sure a heat pump is more efficient but we are talking warming the shop for a couple - three hours work and then exiting and not needing warmth for a week or three, then maybe a 6 hour day 3 times a winter, maybe more. That kind of thing. Again, been doing the resistance heaters and didn't hardly notice a huge bill difference.

2X6, well insulated, 800 sq ft or so. If I warm it and get the concrete floors above ambient it holds decently I must say.

I'm on year 4 or 5 with this one, Pel-pro. I haven't had any issues at all and I probably put 70-80 bags a year through it. I heat a 1500 sq ft shop and it's definitely more than enough. Most of the time I just burn it on the lowest setting, but it will crank out a lot of heat on high for a quick warm up. It's one of the lower priced ones out there, so I was a little nervous about it's durability, but it's been excellent.

I'm on year 4 or 5 with this one, Pel-pro. I haven't had any issues at all and I probably put 70-80 bags a year through it. I heat a 1500 sq ft shop and it's definitely more than enough. Most of the time I just burn it on the lowest setting, but it will crank out a lot of heat on high for a quick warm up. It's one of the lower priced ones out there, so I was a little nervous about it's durability, but it's been excellent.
That looks kinda nice. Thanks

You are mechanically adept however one key thing on pellet stoves are they maintenance/repair prone even “good” ones. Good luck 🍀

Back