Best Lawn and Garden battery

Need advice on the best lawn and garden battery. The one I bought at Tractor Supply, their top of the line, for my Freedom Z zero turn lasted only 16 months.

The best one is the cheapest one you can get.
They are made to a price point, and their warranty demonstrates that.
I have generally gotten 4-5 years out of the cheapos at Rural King or Walmart, while the John Deere battery I paid 4x the money for lasted only 1 year.
I have tried putting them on a trickle charger and found that the marginal improvement did not merit the hassle.
Buy the cheapest one you can find at a location that is convenient for you.

I normally get the Walmart 300 cca or the Duracell 300. The Duracell has always lasted longer but cost a few dollars more. I have thought about getting a U1 Wheel Chair battery. They are Deep Cycle batteries and cost 2x-3x what the normal OPE battery costs but thought they might give better service.

So all these batteries are basically the same, just more money for the name brands?
I had the same problem as you until I bought a Battery Tender. Also, check the electrolyte level periodically and top up with distilled water. The 300CCA battery is better. Keep your terminals clean. Yes, U1 batteries are basically all the same. The CCAs May be different.

I usually get one with the highest CCA I can find that will fit, from a seller that has a lot of traffic like WalMart or my local Napa to get the newest battery. The last one I had in my garden tractor I got 8 years out of. I think it currently has a Napa 340CCA.

I've had better luck with just periodically charging OPE batteries as opposed to leaving them on a trickle charger all winter long. At a minimum I will disconnect the negative cable in the fall and give them a topping charge with my 4 amp charger. If I remember, I will charge it again once or twice over the winter. I have gotten several years out batteries treated this way. I usually by the Interstate ones from Costco, btw.

My John Deere D140 was delivered with a Deere branded 195 CCA battery in 2015. That battery lasted four seasons. Normally I would start is up and let it run for a while every 4-6 weeks over the winter, but i got lazy on the fourth winter and the battery failed that spring. In 2019 I replaced that with a Walmart Everstart 230 CCA battery for $29. At this point I am virtually guaranteed a three year run on that battery, possibly more.

As others have said, keeping it charged over the winter will extend the life. Could you find a better battery? Absolutely! Walmart sells AGM batteries for $65 -$70. I am sure you could find a LiFePO4 battery that would work, but it would certainly run north of $200. At this point the economics simply don't favor the pursuit of the "best" battery. Just my two cents.

The main problem with LiFePO4 batteries is that they will be destroyed if charged below 32f.
Correct! And that is why some of them have internal heating elements that their intelligent battery management systems will divert charge power to until they are safe to charge. Note that there is no danger in discharging them below 32 F, meaning that you can start your equipment and then warm the battery until it can safely charge. Such features are presently available on the larger solar storage batteries. Just about anything with a battery management system will prevent charging below the minimum temperature.

Tractor Supply batteries are the worst. 90 day warranty. I have switched to John Deere batteries. Reasonably priced and cheaper in the long run.

I have either used Walmart or Rural King batteries for my four lawn tractors which three are used long and hard.. Over winter and any extended down time, I put a trickle charger on them. I average around four to five years of life on these batteries. If you park it over winter and do nothing, I would expect a short life to your batteries as you mentioned. When I do buy them, I look at the dates and get batteries from the back of the shelf if they are fresher.

I've had an Exide L&G battery from Wal-Mart go 11 years with very little care, but 4-6 years is more typical. Units (3 of them, plus a generator that takes a L&G battery) are stored inside, in unheated buildings.

I will buy them at W*M, Farm and Fleet, or Rural King. Mainly whatever store is most convenient when I need one. I don't tend to attach longevity concerns to a $30 battery.

Back