Best in game NBA dunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a list of what you consider the best in game dunks in NBA history. Here is mine..

#1 Micheal Jordan's dunk on Patrick Ewing in the Garden. On the baseline fakes left turns right spins, and goes along baseline and dunks over Patrick Ewing.

#2 Shawn Kemp's windmill dunk on Golden State's Alvin Lister in Seattle. Semi fast break and that was spectacular. Shawn Kemp was a tremendous athlete before he gained all that weight. Shawn also had a really good dunk on
another Golden State player Chris Gatling as well. Chris Gatling being a very good sport shook Shawn Kemp's hand after he had dunked on him. He knew it was a bigtime play.

#3 Dr. J's rock the baby dunk on LA Lakers Micheal Cooper in the NBA finals in Philadelphia. Hard to believe that Cooper thought he could challenge Dr. J on a fast break away situation. He did and failed. Great call by Chic Hearn from the Lakers broadcast on this play.

#4 Vince Carter's dunk on Dikembe Mutumbo in Toronto. Vince is the highest jumper in NBA history in my opinion. ( If you don't think so go look up Vince Carter dunk and jump over a 7 footer in the 2000 Olympics) This was a great play made in a half court set play. Vince's shear amazing athletic ability made this play even possible. The Olympic play is not valid for this list due to it not being during a NBA game. With no exclusion this would be #1 in all games.

#5 Tom Chambers dunk over NY Knicks Mark Jackson. Why Mark thought he could stop a 6'10" very athletic guy in a fast break situation is beyond me. But that was quite a play there by Tom.

#6 Kevin Johnson's dunk over Houston Rocket's Hakeem Alijuwon in game 7. Kevin beat his guy went baseline and dunked on Hakeem late in the game. Side note... Hakeem had a very, very rare quadruple double because he managed to block 10 shots in a game. This was a tremendous play by a 6'1" Kevin Johnson over a premiere shot blocker.

#7 Baron Davis dunk on Utah's Andre Kirilenko. In this play Baron beats his guy off the drive and drives to the basket, jumps brings the ball down with two hands, hangs in the air and as Andre starts to lose his elevation, Baron brings to the ball up and dunks it with two hands. That was a great play in those playoffs. Many people may forget but AK 47 was a very good defender.

#8 Scottie Pippen dunk over Patrick Ewing on a fast break in the playoffs. Huge play and Scottie just drops the hammer on Patrick Ewing, then walks over top of him afterwards. Another moment where you knew the Knicks and Bills really disliked one another.

#9 Dr.J dunk on Bill Walton in the NBA finals. This was a tremendous play by Dr. J and showed just how athletic he really was. Him dunking over Bill Walton who was a very good shot blocker at the time is quite impressive.

#10 Kobe Bryant's dunk on Tim Duncan in the NBA playoffs was his best dunk in his career. Semi fast break and Kobe put it down on Tim who was a very good defender at that time.

I know I am sure forgetting other great in game dunks. I know Vince Carter dunked on Alonzo Mourning, plus he dunked on many others in game has well. Robert Pack 6 foot tall dunked on 7'6" Shawn Bradley which was crazy. LeBron James dunked on a guy from the Cleveland Cavaliers, as well as some others. Dominique Wilkins dunked on many guys as well. Charles Barkley had some bigtime dunks as well. Shaq had some crazy dunks at times as well, including pulling down the backboard in New Jersey on Mike Dudley. So, what plays would be on your list??

Last edited:
Not everyone is expected to be a basketball fan..... I like the NFL, NASCAR, baseball, golf, tennis as well.

Clyde Drexler had some spectacular dunks during his career with Portland.

The Dr. J windmill dunk has to be my favorite. You don't hardly see that type of performance anymore. In more recent history, the play in which DeAndre Jordan totally annihilates Brandon Knight. More power than style but that is where plays like dunks are going it seems.

MJ and Dr.J rule in that order.
MJ during games did what most did in open floor contests. No one comes close.
MJ did it game after game so no contest.
You have a good memory friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back