Best hose clamp

Hello, was wondering what people prefer for hose clamps... I generally have either what came on the car or if I replace it, its with a "normal" worm drive screw clamp. My upper radiator hose has a couple drips under it and I could barely get the screw clamp to move any more. I know if these are tightened too much they tend to come apart. Is there a better option?

Thanks.

You may have to remove the radiator hose and clean the neck where the hose connects. There could be some crud/corrosion around the neck causing the leak/drips...maybe even double clamp it.

- < split
I once had a slight split in the neck of the radiator where the upper hose attached and it was dripping.
The split was about this - small. So I cleaned the neck, moved the hose more forward as much as possible and then used a worm clamp with the screw right where that - was...to apply most pressure there.

I mean, this is really just a hack, not an actual fix.

The best hose clamps aren't the once that tighten the most, they're the clamps that apply the most even pressure/torque around the fitting that you're using them for. Mostly(from my understanding) OE type clamps that you pinch together to install/remove. Not the worm type clamps which apply the most pressure at the screw.

Hello, was wondering what people prefer for hose clamps... I generally have either what came on the car or if I replace it, its with a "normal" worm drive screw clamp. My upper radiator hose has a couple drips under it and I could barely get the screw clamp to move any more. I know if these are tightened too much they tend to come apart. Is there a better option?

Thanks.

I like the worm screw type clamps . And , yes , the cheap Chi-Com clamps seem to strip pretty easily . I try to find clamps that are made in the USA , but they can be difficult to locate . :-(

Thanks.
I’ve had quite a bit of experience with screw type hose clamps. For radiator hoses, they aren’t worth a flip. Many of the hose flanges for radiators on newer vehicles are plastic. The screw drive type clamps will deform the plastic flange and cause a leak. The OEM spring steel clamps work the best. They have uniform pressure all the way around the hose and will not deform plastic flanges.

The leak is at the T/Stat housing which is metal and clean. I just replaced the thermostat and upper hose. I do think the clamp is probably not made in the USA, and giving uneven pressure causing a not great seal. Maybe I'll see if I can track down some better made in USA clamps first, then the factory spring ones if that doesn't work. I don't want to pull the hose to get a clamp on, but if it keeps leaking, it will leave me no choice.

What is needed here is the constant tension style of hose clamps. They are readily available at Clipsandfasteners.com and they are the best product for the job at hand. You'll pay a little more versus the traditional screw and band style clamps but they will solve the problem.

I agree and prefer constant tension as well, however if someone wants a top quality properly designed screw / gear clamp these are the best.

Norma Group makes some excellent clamps.

I have been using the standard Torro worm drive hose clamps with very good results.

Also available is the Torro WF with automatic re-tensioning effect. They also have Breeze constant torque standard which work good too. Just don't over torque.

Thanks.

Regular run of the mill worm hose and exhaust U clamps are the two of the worst things ever foisted on the auto service industry IMO.
Some of the issues with worm clamps are the do not maintain tension on the hose so when temps drop like in the middle of winter they tend to leak,
this leads people to tighten them more doing damage to the hose by forcing the rubber through the little slits in the clamp.

Gates has a heat shrink hose clamp that works very well but is a one time use, on the plus side it maintains tension on the hose, does no damage to the hose and seals over a large area to prevent leaks. Some other constant tension clamps..

7.jpg

2.jpg
6.jpg

The one on the left uses a belleville spring to do the same as the one on the right with a regular springs, the advantage is it doesn't take as much room. Notice the band type have no slits to cut the hose. There are many variants of these.

I like the constant tension clamps but resort to worm drive for arcane repairs. So I keep a few around. I don't use enough to justify ordering up a bunch of different sizes just in case--I reuse what I can on the car as a rule.

My truck has a pair of SS worm drive clamps on the cat heat shields. I bought the wrong size (it's like 6" in diam) so I put two in series to get the job done. :oops:

I've found the OE clamps over time will need replaced. And I just use an all stainless worm clamp. Yes they need tweaked once a year maybe. But if you use this stuff it will seal it up good.

85420.jpg

Thanks.

I prefer constant tension spring clamps. They remain tight and don't come loose like screw clamps do. Screw clamps are fine in non-critical applications as long as they are of good design and quality with rolled edges.

I have had to double hose clamp radiator openings or thermostat housings as a quick fix. Screws 180* opposed.
Of course there are more correct ways...

In the old days we automatically replaced a lotta factory clamps with worm clamps.
We were wrong.
Good luck.

Plus, they expand and contract with heating and cooling all the while maintaining that uniform pressure.

I’ve had quite a bit of experience with screw type hose clamps. For radiator hoses, they aren’t worth a flip. Many of the hose flanges for radiators on newer vehicles are plastic. The screw drive type clamps will deform the plastic flange and cause a leak. The OEM spring steel clamps work the best. They have uniform pressure all the way around the hose and will not deform plastic flanges.

1595528536663.png

I liked these ones that my older trucks had, they never leaked. Too bad the previous owner's mechanic replaced them all with cheap worm drive clamps :(

View attachment 25713

I liked these ones that my older trucks had, they never leaked. Too bad the previous owner's mechanic replaced them all with cheap worm drive clamps :(

I see that all the time, it sucks. When I go to the bone yard for one of my monthly tours to grab parts for all sorts of cars I get a box full of different size OE clamps from a lot of makes. I think he charged me 5 bucks for them last time but it was box the size of a large car battery full, all in nice shape too, I don't take the rusted ones.

Back